“Lake Waikaremoana Guided Walk”
Review of Walking Legends

Walking Legends
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike the Tongariro Crossing, Lake Waikaremoana & Coromandel Peninsula. Walking Legends provide all-inclusive guided walk packages on the North Island's Great Walks. Small groups led by an experienced, friendly guide. Includes accommodation, transport from Rotorua, hiking equipment, and great NZ-style meals and wine. Our guided hiking tours make it easy and rewarding to experience some of New Zealand's best walks, and to explore the remote and dramatic wilderness areas of the North Island.
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Fantastic experience, beautiful country. We were looked after very well and all the organisation and logistics was expertly taken care of. Highly recommend this company to organise and guide this trip for you. The guides were wonderful.

1  Thank 576DeniseD
in 4 reviews
"great company"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 4 April 2013

I choose Walking Legends for a guided walk as I am over 60 and this walk was on my bucket list but never got around to doing as could not get my friends together at the same time and for me I thought time was moving on.The helpful guide of a list of what was needed for the walk made decisions easy. I found that I had not over packed my pack.
A real plus is to have someone provide the meals after a day of tramping. Previous to this tramp I had only done 1 to 1 and a half. hour walks, but hoped that my fitness would be up to it.

As a first-timer to stay in Doc Huts, I am glad we had Jamie and Sam with us. They made sure we got bunks fogether as a group, and made each night a relaxing treat, with delightful food which made other trampers look on with envy. While the tramp was not easy, the views and trees were memorable, and a great sense of achievement on completing the challenge. We were all very weary bunch on the ride out. Will be recommending Walking Legends.
Special thanks to Jamie and Sam our guides

2  Thank 652408CarolA
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I had the most wonderful 4 days. The scenery is superb and so pristine. I felt very proud to be a Kiwi! Of course I realise we were very lucky with the weather which probably just "topped" things off. Some of the views are outstanding. The meals were great & our Guides very informative & full of knowledge. Loved hearing the Maori legends. Top place in my book!

1  Thank Chris62_13
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I have never been so well looked after - you should have seen the other trampers faces in the DOC huts when we were served eggs benedict on spinach & muffin for breakfast!! or when we were greeted after a hard day's climb with a tray of hot cloths to refresh ourselves!! The food throughout the 4 days was gourmet & we learnt about the local history,the trees & birds, & thoroughly enjoyed the tramp through stunning scenery. The best tramping experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We had never tramped before over an extended period only day trips. We are in our sixties however thought we were of average fitness, so we trained extending our day walks at home to improve our fitness which we found invaluable. On paper the walk looked a relatively easy challenge around the lake however it is not flat as we expected but undulating all the way. The climb to the top of the bluff was challenging due the the rain causing slippery rocks and waterfall pathways. Do take the thermals as reccommended. Having said the negatives we highly reccommend the walk as the vegetation and views are unbelievable. We named the tree line at the top of the bluff as the "scary forest", the growth dangling from the trees is weird and not to be missed especially if you are a fan of the Hobbit films.Huts are huts and expect the snorers, The food provided is excellent and a credit to the assistants - who are wonderfully encouraging.