“Lake Waikaremoana”
Review of Walking Legends

Walking Legends
More attraction details
Owner description: Hike the Tongariro Crossing, Lake Waikaremoana & Coromandel Peninsula. Walking Legends provide all-inclusive guided walk packages on the North Island's Great Walks. Small groups led by an experienced, friendly guide. Includes accommodation, transport from Rotorua, hiking equipment, and great NZ-style meals and wine. Our guided hiking tours make it easy and rewarding to experience some of New Zealand's best walks, and to explore the remote and dramatic wilderness areas of the North Island.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A great trip that both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed. Great guides - Callum and Trent making life very comfortable and serving essentially restaurant quality food in a pretty remote area. The walk itself is beautiful, such a fantastic location which we essentially had to ourselves each day. We would thoroughly recommend walking legends if you are considering a guided great walk. The only downside I would mention is the accommodation, which if busy (bank holidays etc) I think we may have struggled with as it is quite snug. Apart from the 1st night where the hut was full due to the Kiwi Conservation volunteers (which was a very welcome addition to the trip learning about the great work they do) we had the huts to ourselves.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"flora and fauna"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I highly recommend this trip. The itinerary provides a nice variety experiences from forest to coastal views to a volcanic valley and a chance to explore some beautiful beaches-all in four days. I found the trip description on the Walking Legends website to be accurate in terms of what we did and the difficulty. The day three walk to the Pinnacles is steep, but definitely worthwhile and manageable if you are in reasonable shape. The accommodations were excellent and I loved that we dined outside (though under cover). It was also a plus that we stayed at the same place all three nights so we weren't packing up each morning. Our guide, Brad, was terrific. He was professional, knowledgeable and fun and provided us a lot of natural and human history of the area. Our group had some vigorous hikers in it and he always made sure we all were aware to set our own pace and enjoy ourselves. I also recommend going in a shoulder season if you can. I was there in March and the weather was perfect, but we avoided the crowds that apparently descend from Auckland during holiday periods. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

2  Thank Janet C
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Hard walk especially coming down off the Mountain, but well worth the effort for the tremendous views, the 'vapour' from the volcanos, 'Mount Doom' and the Lakes. Our guide was very informative, pointing out various land marks and encouraging us to keep up a steady pace. Packed lunch was provided. A 'must do'.

2  Thank killywhan
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had an amazing time. We had 9 in our group, all of us in our 60's. The guides, Magnus and Trent, were fantastic....friendly, energetic, helpful and knowledgeable.....nothing was too much trouble for them. The Lake is bright, clear and beautiful...a refreshing daily swim is a great substitute for a shower. The walk is challenging but the trail is largely under the forest canopy so the environment is beautiful and the atmosphere is cool and fresh....perfect. The accommodation is DOC huts and we were not concerned about the communal bunk rooms and long drop toilets....they are just part of the experience which we wouldn't have missed for anything.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 March 2014

A lot of people thought I was mad, as the guided crossing was my 60th birthday gift! However it was an experiance my husband and I will never forget. Our guide was excellent, very knowledgable about the area, and with the ability to keep us going, even up the "Devils Staircase". All the arrangements by Walking Legends were great, from the contact by e-mail to the packed lunch. It is said to be one of the great walks, and the variety of scenery was breathtaking. Thanks to all for making my birthday treat one I will never forget.

1  Thank Fitz1947