“Prime location, great kitchen facilities, helpful staff”

Rotorua Central Backpackers
“Prime location, great kitchen facilities, helpful staff”
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Staff very helpful and get good deals on tours. Kitchen facilities good. Location couldn't be much better. Rooms pretty basic but nothing offputting. Hav to pay to use internet which is always annoying, but pretty common in nz

• Stayed December 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We stayed at this hostel after completing Tongariro Northern Circuit and it proved to be good decision. Especially that there's free hot tub in this facility. We liked spacious kitchen. In general there was everything we needed, including washing machines (extra paid - coins), place to dry clothes, parking lot and extra paid internet access.Staff is very knowledgeable and helpful. We arrived very late and still this was not an issue for the owner to let us in. He gave us tips on what was happening in the city and how to get to these attractions. I may imagine that in longer run it maybe a problem that there are only few bathrooms and showers - we stayed only one night so it didn't trouble us much. We stayed in a twin room - it was very large as for hostel standards and reasonably equipped. Hostel's location also looked well judging from the map. We didn't stay in Rotorua on the next day so can't say how good it is in reality. To wrap it up - if I happen to be in Rotorua again, I will definitely use that lodge for accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Luckily I made it to Rotorua Central Backpackers after such a disappointment with Crank BP. The i-Site in Rotorua really knows the quality of the hostels around and recommended me to check out that place which I then have. The staff is friendly and they even let me in after hours. I slept in a clean 6 bed dorm where everybody slept in a single bed which has thick and new mattresses. The room war a bit small to hold six beds plus the luggage of travellers but for that the beds were unbeatable. Be aware, the hostel does not have lockers. The young staff, I believe they are travellers themselves, does a good cleaning job every day as the bed rooms, bathrooms and the kitchen are absolutely spotless. There I got really value for money and it didn’t matter to pay a few bucks to be able to use the in house internet as well as WiFi.

Happy travels :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank biggiboss
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I wanted to stay 1 night and stayed two. The owners are indeed very helpful, which is why I went to Mount Maunganui as a day trip rather than packing up and staying there. The place is clean and very quiet - tonight, for example, I have trouble imagining that the place should be full. Not a mouse can be heard. Despite the fact that the hostel is central and is within walking distance of everything, it's really quiet at night. Last night, I had the best sleep I've had in a long time. It's cozy, homely, comfortable and above all the bathrooms and kitchen are clean. I'd definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Invercargill
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Old, but characterful hostel near the heart of the city, but just far enough out to be quiet too. Internal layout is rather strange and a bit confusing as it is converted from a block of two-level apartments. On a recent trip around New Zealand this was the best backpackers I stayed in. Very friendly staff, well organised. Good price compared to other places too.

Room Tip: Ask the staff - they are very helpful.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Nunspeet, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The only thing why I ranked this hostel 'very good' is the people who run the place! They are so friendly and helpful!! They'll do anything for their guests. You really make this place! Further I would say that this hostel just need some improvements. It a nice old building, but it needs some modernisation/renovation inside. The common room/living room was actually nice and cosy, I liked that. The bathrooms were okay. What I loved about the dorm are the beds! No bunk beds and good matresses! But the room was too small for the amount of beds in it.. I understand that you would like to accommodate as many guests as possible, especially when you don't use bunks, you need more space, but now there was just no space for all the backpacks and there was no place to hang your coat and clothes.. People were falling even over each others shoes on the floor.. The carpets could be renewed.. I was staying in a room with lost of Asian people working in the hostel and I hated their attitude! They really thought the room was theirs and left their stuff everywhere around. They also took the best places, but I didn't have a problem with that, I probably would do the same if I knew I would stay for weeks of months.. But the most annoying thing was that they were sleeping at weird times of the day. Other people come in at daytime, see them sleeping and try to be quiet (although it's daytime, and I think you don't have to be that quiet then..). But then late in the evening they wake up and they start using their laptops, turning on the big lights (at 11PM) and chatting with each other, while the other travellers (3 or 4) wanted to sleep! And this went on almost the whole night!!!! I found it so incredibly rude! I even had to use my eye mask and my ear plugs, and then still it was hard to fall asleep. I know I can't blame the hostel for this, but it was just so annoying and changed the atmosphere of the hostel. Too many Asian long termers staying here. The location of the hostel is perfect! It's close to town (about 5-10 minutes walk to the centre) and supermarkets.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Having spent 4 weeks here I feel suitably qualified to review this place! And straight off this hostel is fantastic. Perfect location in walking distance to everything In town. Catherine and Neil who run the hostel are so friendly and helpful with loads of helpful advice about the area and bookings. There's tonnes of super comfortable communal space, especially a tv lounge with a large DVD library great for a chilled evening in. The kitchen is one of the best I've ever seen, lots of hobs and fridge space and a dining area with plenty of seating. One of the big highlights is the spa pool which is large enough for a big group of people. The bedrooms are all spacious and really reasonably priced with comfy beds (NO BUNKS YAY!!). The wifi does cost extra but spending lots of time in rotorua it seems to be a common theme and pretty standard, thankfully it's pretty cheap here!! So overall if I ever come back to Rotorua I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo