“So good!”

Rotorua Central Backpackers
“So good!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Rotorua for two nights, and it was great! The showers were hot and had great pressure (and clean), the rooms were warm and spacious (no bunks!!). They had free wifi which was a wonderful bonus and it was fast and reliable. It was right in the middle of everywhere you'd need to go in Rotorua as well. If I came back I wouldn't stay anywhere else!!

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The hostel is within walking distance from i-site and local bus station. Staff were helpful and the whole hostel was quite clean. Rooms in a winter season were still kept warm. They offered free WiFi, which was a huge plus! For a hostel, it is really a great place to stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The location was good and they were great when we called to say we were running late and would arrive after hours. Not a problem just call and we'll send you the night porter. We booked a twin but ended up in a family room I guess. It was huge and there was plenty of room for the two of us and our stuff. The staff were friendly and gave us some great recommendations. The rooms and common areas were clean and the whole place was toasty warm, very important since we were there in the middle of winter! The two bathrooms closest to us only had baths so I had to walk a bit further for my shower, not in itself a problem but I'd be concerned that there might be a lack of showers in the busier times. The only other issue was that on check out we were told we'd paid the wrong price on arrival and they'd been unable to catch us. I guess they knew they'd see us when we left but we were running late so I was a bit annoyed that they hadn't left a note during our stay as I would have settled up sooner. Again not a big thing and over all I loved this place and would absolutely love to stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Rotorua Central Backpackers' location was great and the owners were helpful, but the facilities felt somewhat dirty and much of it (other than the kitchen with bright fluorescent lights) felt dark. Also, I admit that it is at least partially due to the cities location amongst geothermal hot springs, but the hostel smelled like sulfur, which was odd. Overall I had a positive experience, though I'm not sure if I'd stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
RotoruaCentral, Owner at Rotorua Central Backpackers, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for your review. We actually pride ourselves on our cleanliness, so we surprised at your comments, could you please email us at rcbenquiry@slingshot.co.nz with more specifics.

Our hostel was built in 1935, so has lots of brown panelling, beams and architraves, which reflect that era. Some people call it character, but I admit it can be dark at times,esp in winter :)

Rotorua is an extreme geothermal environment, which heats our water, hotel & spa. The side affect of that is the slight odour of sulphur in the air.

Regards
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

The staff was helpful in giving us information and suggestions of what to do.
The location was great, we were able to walk everywhere.
The room was warm, the bed was reasonably comfortable and we had no bunk beds in a 6 bed dorm, though there was a bit of a space issue with luggage.
The common rooms weren't overly inviting or spacious, but I liked the bench style seats in the kitchen.
There was a hot pool in a shed out back (which a bunch of travellers were smoking pot by) which was sort of nice but a strange height with no seats or jets...so you were just standing around in a hot pool up to your waist!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for the feedback with regards to the smoking. I am a bit of an anti smoker, so I see that I need a NO SMOKING sign in the spa.

The spa (yes not a jacuzzi) is 41 degrees Celsius, the only reason that someone would be standing up would be if they got too hot (about 1/2 hours worth). Most people either crouch or kneel and the buoyancy of the water is enough to keep them happy (just the way it was designed I am afraid )

Cheers
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a private double room here with shared facilities for three nights in late June - absolutely wonderful start to our NZ tour! The room was so warm and cosy due to the geothermal heating, plenty of bathrooms and facilities for the guests to share. Our bus was late our first night but the staff were totally understanding as well as being friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The location was also excellent - so central yet not noisy at all! Absolutely loved our stay here, would recommend!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My friend and I were driving around the North Island and stumbled upon this fantastic backpackers in Rotorua. While it looks a bit old from the outside, inside was very warm and inviting. Big, purple and friendly, we ended up staying a night on our way south and then changed our plans and spent another night there heading back north. The man on the desk was very friendly and even though we hadn't booked we were able to get a room. Free WIFI was an added bonus and it was fast as well!
The beds were very comfortable and the room stayed warm even in the very chilly weather without even having to turn the heater on. We stayed in a twin room and even though we didn't have a BBH membership it was still damn good value for our fairly decent sized room with a little walk-in wardrobe.
The bathrooms were clean and the showers were wonderfully warm with good pressure. There were even bathmats (absolute luxury compared to some bathrooms I've been in).
It's close to the main drag with restaurants, bars, cafes and shops and a 10min walk to Pak n'Save.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
RotoruaCentral, Owner at Rotorua Central Backpackers, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Really love return guests - guess I will keep that room purple then.

You know some people think the outside of our building is grey - go figure.

See ya