“Quiet, clean, convenient and value for money”

Fairy Springs Motel
Ranked #46 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
“Quiet, clean, convenient and value for money”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The location was superb. We were in Rotorua for one night, attending a wedding at the Skyline. We just had to walk through the gate and across the grass to the entrance of the Skyline.
Although the buildings are not modern, the rooms are well appointed. Our unit was clean and tastefully decorated. It was a very quiet environment. Although we did not use them, all self-catering facilities were provided. We did make ourselves hot drinks, and there was a good range of tea, coffee and hot chocolate, and fresh milk was provided.
The gardens are well cared for and very child-friendly.
Vicki, the owner, is extremely pleasant and helpful,
The tariff is appropriate and we consider our stay was good value.
We just wanted somewhere convenient, clean, quiet and safe and this motel suited our needs perfectly. Hence the rating of excellent.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Vicki F, Owner at Fairy Springs Motel, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Yes, it's surprisingly quiet & restful for a Motel on a main State Highway, glad you enjoyed your stay & I look forward to welcoming you again sometime.
Regards Vicki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Our stay was brief as we were attending a function at the Skyline. The location couldn't have been more convenient (just a walk through the fence to get to the gondola. Although the buildings were a little date, our unit was pleasantly decorated, spacious, well aired, clean, adequately heated and quiet. The owner was very obliging and we wish her all the best in developing her business

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Vicki F, Owner at Fairy Springs Motel, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Merci for a lovely review and I so much enjoyed meeting you. I am glad you were satisfied with the accommodation as a week is a good while & it's quite risky booking a place you've never seen before, which is why Trip Advisor reviews are so important.
Ciao Vicki
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My partner and I recently traveled home for a funeral and we just needed somewhere to shower and have a sleep and this place was perfect. The owner was helpful and sympathetic to our situation. As said in previous reviews the rooms aren't luxurious but comfortable, the beds especially so. Even though it is situated on a main road the rooms are far back from the entrance and so traffic noise does not seem to be a problem. If we had the time we would have taken full advantage of the spa and wifi services which were included in the price. Considering we were not initially looking for a place to stay and simply chose this one as it was the closest, I was incredibly impressed. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Vicki F, Owner at Fairy Springs Motel, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
Thank you for the kind words. I like to think my motel is giving comfort and service to my guests for the many various reasons they need those things. Not everyone who stays with us is on a holiday & having fun. Some are in situations of sadness & grief, as in your case, others are having eye operations down at the Eye Clinic, some just need to de-stress away from home or work.
Privacy & respect are paramount along with providing a clean, comfortable, quite place with a peaceful atmosphere & I'm glad you found that here.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2013

Very well located; the owner very helpful with advices, amenities; spa private and interesting. Wifi performant and included in the price. Room well thought; kitchen functional; altogether I would recommend this place, given the very reasonable price demanded.

Room Tip: Most rooms are far enough from the road; so silent enough
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Vicki F, Owner at Fairy Springs Motel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Roger thank you for the very nice review & your recommendations, I'm always happy when we have delivered the comfort, service, and value our guests expect. Being an older property we certainly have the room for relaxing outdoors and the apartments are very spacious. Hope to see you again in NZ. Happy memories !!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

We booked a one bedroom suite for us and our 2 children. The room was clean and relatively well equipped (no dishwasher) as we had a full dinner in the room. The motel is next door to the Skyline (luge) activity, which was very practical the next morning! Also close to Zorbing and other activities.
The motel had some games for the lids and also a hot pool (but I did not check it).
The rooms could be refreshed and modernised but would probably cost more then. A very good deal in summary.

• Stayed January 2013
Vicki F, Owner at Fairy Springs Motel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
I enjoyed having you to stay and thank you for your honest appraisal & review. I love our location and am happy that you chose to stay here because of it. Watch this space for some updates & fresher looks. Come again if you can.
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Great value for money. Not flashy but very comfortable, clean, and well appointed with in-room sky and wi-fi. Beds were great and staff friendly. No traffic noise or smells and our daughter loved watching the both the pet and wild rabbits

Room Tip: Unit 7 was nice - saw rabbits from the kitchen window
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Vicki F, Owner at Fairy Springs Motel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
It's lovely that the children enjoyed the wildlife around the Motel, & I'm happy that the value was good for you as holidays for families can be so expensive when the kids want to see & do everything going. Thank you for making Fairy Springs Motel your accommodation of choice in Rotorua.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We chose this motel because of its location right next to the gondalas and Rainbow Fairy springs, two places we always visit when in Rotorua.
Room was good size and has what we needed, even had a decent LCD TV with full Sky, not this limited bad reception rubbish you get in other places.
Room did need a good clean however, was a fair amount of dust and cobwebs, obviously not used for a while. Also needed updating, but everything worked.
The main thing that disappointed me was the owners customer service at one point - on our last night we got a call from the owner asking if we could pay that night instead of checkout time in the morning - bit odd but doable - or so we thought.... one of the kids had been through the wallet and hidden the c/card, so I went to the owner and explained that we'd have to pay in the morning when we found the card. She was not impressed and was rather short and angry with me about it - she even told me to goto my mothers to get her c/card at one point! My mother lives in Auckland! I told her there was nothing I could do about it until morning (when we wouldve been checking out and paying at any other motel). As far as she was concerned, we were not going to pay and run off in the morning (her words)....I was shocked at this attitude. I went back to the room and advised my wife what had happened and she was wild.... I ended up borrowing a relatives c/card number to do a manual transaction and the owner said to me that she wasnt sure if it would go through as shes never done one before... tried and it failed due to an incorrect expiry.... I got asked if the card was stolen. Rung the card owner again and found they stuffed up the date, back to the owner, paid successfully (just as my wife called out she found our card). The owners attitude changed completely after that, was a very nice lady etc and explained that she had only owned the place for a short while and had people run out before.... not quite an apology but an explanation at least. I can understand where she was coming from but the way she dealt with it was not pleasant - she could have asked to hold onto something as bond rather than accusing us of running away and stealing credit cards..... apart from that "glitch" it was a pleasant stay and we would consider staying again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
FairySprings, Owner at Fairy Springs Motel, responded to this review, 30 November 2012
Well I can say thank fully that a LOT of work has gone into the Motel since you visited over 8 months ago so it's not a very relevant review. I won't even bother to put my side of the story about the difficulty the guest had in finally paying by the said lost card, suffice to say I do make my guests very aware that I expect payment up front on arrival - after all we can't take a dress and wear it out before paying for it or fly to another city befroe paying for the ticket so why should people expect motels to be any different. I would challenge anyone to come and stay here and find cobwebs inside or apartments in the filthy mess I inherited one year ago today. True the rented buildings are old but that aside, many months and a few cleaners (who didn't know the meaning of the word clean) later, I am proud to present the Motel to guests at a much higher standard than they were for the first few months in the beginning of 2012. Thank you everyone for your candid & positive comments.