“Nice location but disappointing food”
Review of Lakeside Cafe

Lakeside Cafe
Ranked #9 of 10 Coffee & Tea in Rotorua
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: On the lake side of the community Soundshell building. We were there on Sunday, when the markets were on, so not sure how often it's open other than Sundays. It's like a bistro where you take a tray and select the slices, sandwiches etc from the slide-glass cabinets - like a Country Women's kitchen. Then you order your drinks - my BOWL of latte was fantastic. We sat at tables just inside the glass looking out, across Lake Rotorua but the tables outside were popular too. Very reasonable, great food...all the locals seemed to be there!
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Nice location but disappointing food”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Had soup , a sandwich and what we thought was labelled a Banofee but ended up tasting more like a cheesecake. Maybe the desserts had been moved . The soup was a bit insipid and needed seasoning. Not totally bland but that word came up in our discussion. Nice location but food ordinary and prices a bit high as well. No hurry to try again , sorry.

Visited May 2014

• Arabic first
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
“Nice Setting - Poor Service”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I would not ever return to this restaurant. First of all the prices were not clearly visible for customers - I do not expect to ask for prices of each item, I purchased hot food to take away, then had to wait 10 minutes for my coffee. Worse still I was not told at time of ordering that there was a 10 - 15 minute delay for coffee. By the time the coffee arrived my savouries were cold. The mature assistant who served me was so miserable, I felt that I was an inconvenience to her day. On a good note, the cold food was tasty but the prices exorbitant. My biggest gripe was a medium flat white to drink on the premises was quoted as $4. yet to take away was $4.50. I do not believe that a paper cup costs an extra .50cents. No sorry not a good experience. I hope you can take these comments as a learning experience.

• Visited May 2014
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Lovely location”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Came across this Cafe while doing a morning walk along the Lakefront.
Had worked up a bit of an appetite and after looking at the cabinet food which looked great decided on a cooked breakfast.
It was delicious and the serving was very generous, we like really good coffee and we certainly got it.
The staff were very friendly and the lake view from our table topped off a great experience.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ClassicKiwi
Bribie Island, Australia
“Variable”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

After years of dining here when in Rotorua, we set out to do so again. However after viewing the food in the showcases, decided to opt for another of our favourites. The sandwitches and cakes looked dry and most of the food in the hot section also looked dried up. This was around 2pm on a busy day. It made us wonder if the cafe has changed hands. It's in a great location next to the lake and there s outdoor and indoor dining. There was a musician playing on the day we went there and we found that off puting. We heard one overseas visitor remark that all of the sandwiches contained mayonnaise - which she hates. So they left. Corn fritters cost about $18 from memory. Yet, the classy upmarket cafe we did dine in was no dearer and far superior in quality and variety of food and service. Such a shame. We probably wo t dine there again.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank MaggieB75
Wellington, New Zealand
“A Disabled Person's Experience”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

There's a quite nasty short slope leading up to the cafe from the beautifully paved lakeside area. It is manageable with some care.
However, both the food, drink and service are excellent - and those chocolate muffins are to die for!

Visited March 2014