“Solace = confort = great food”
Review of Solace Cafe & Restaurant - CLOSED

Solace Cafe & Restaurant
Cuisines: European, Cafe, New Zealand
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated a short stroll away from Lake Rotorua, Solace Cafe & Restaurant is the best kept secret in town. Solace Cafe & Restaurant offers diners a modern, warm and inviting atmosphere for relaxing with family and friends. Specialising in gluten free food, the menu is an eye opening introduction to great New Zealand cuisine, and features fresh New Zealand beef and seafood options. Bookings are highly recommended. Fully licensed and BYO. Open 7 days for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 14 December 2013

A group of 8 of us went for our xmas dinner on Saturday night. Having eaten there before I knew that the meals would be good. I was wrong. They were GREAT. The selection was vast the prices were realistic and the size was quite adequate. I am not a pasta/linguini fan but the cajun linguini looked interesting so I went with that. Followed with the crumble dessert and affogato coffee and I was pleasantly full and very, very satisfied. As were the rest of our group. Overall I would recommend Solace for couples, families and groups alike. They even cater for folks needing Gluten Free foods and it is true GF. Prices are good. Food excellent and service great. A part of the the "newlook" Streat in Rotorua.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We chose this place after a quick trip around the restaurant area due to seafood and salad offerings. The staff was friendly, helpful and attentive. We started with spinach salad and lamb cutlets. Both were excellent fresh and full of taste. We split the fishermans platter and enjoyed fish, prawns, mussels, squid and scallops. The seasonings and sauces were yummy and full of taste. An excellent meal!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We ate here a few nights ago for a birthday. We all had steaks, 3 of us the special of the night, sirloin steaks and 1 other larger steak. All were excellent. Cooked just how we had asked and generous portions. Garlic bread was great also. Staff very friendly and welcoming, and nicely set out restaurant. If you are gluten free they have a large range of meals available. Also salads, several very nice sounding ones, a little different from the norm. I will definitely eat here

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Wandered down "The Streat" looking for somwhere to eat a nice lunch. Solace had a huge menu with a lot of choice. Lots of yummy sounding salads including my favourite - Squid Salad.
So this is what I ordered. The squid salad came with a few bits of chopped up squid on it, after a few mouthfuls it was all gone and what was left was a huge amount of undressed mesclun salad. The waitress brought me more dressing when I asked. The dressing was very vinegary and left a sour taste in my mouth for the rest of the afternoon. I felt cheated by being served such a measly portion of the main ingredient and the mountain of dry mesclun didn't make up for it. I notice the last reviewer recommended this dish. Maybe it was cooked by another chef. We were the only people in the restaurant so chef was under no pressure to make a nice meal, but maybe he couldn't be bothered. Anyone looking for a delicious squid salad in Rotorua, I recommend Abracadabra. And anyone looking for a meal cooked with care and skill and respect for the customer, try Leonardos.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Lovely restaurant. Great service, fab menu with large selection and plenty GF for those that need to have this option. Salt and Pepper Squid salad i can recommend with beautifully cooked. Look forward to returning again soon as a local regular diner.