“Needs upgrading, too shabby.”

Utuhina Hot Springs Lodge
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Shame this place has been left to deteriorate so much. But it's clean and reasonably priced. Saved some money and was good having natural mineral pools though not the most beautiful pools they are not awful. The cooker was disappointingly grotty however so didn't use that. Would consider staying again if on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Kiritopa

Reviewed 24 November 2011

We stayed there for one night. It is hard to find due to the tree covering the sign. It is right on the main street. But it is quiet and big enough for two. The plus is the hot spring spa. The owner is not very talktive. You have to ask questions to get what you want to know.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank li000044
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We have stayed at these premises for several years now because of Raggamuffin. We have always had some sort of issue with this place but overlooked it because of the convenience of accommodation for a larger group and relaxed environment for teenagers. I can not overlook it anymore!!
The first year staying here I was quoted a price over the phone which I wrote down as this was going to have to be relayed to the other people in group... on checking out after two days, we were told it was going to be a different price (higher rate)!!! We did not argue too much about it as I had no email confirmation, only verbal.
The second year I ensured the price was correct on check in. Not too many issues that year
This time we are not even going to get to stay there as I have just been rung and told our booking is being cancelled for January next year (anniversay week end) as we are only staying for 2 nights (apparently there company policy is 3 days which was never told you us) and they have another booking for our rooms for 3 nights. Note we have stayed here for 2 nights in the past. I thought visa card details ensured your accommodation was secure. My booking was for 16 people!!
Do not stay here as the communication is very poor and prices are quite high for the facilities available to you. Very dated accommodation.. only bonus is the hotpools.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank Emily H
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I almost never write reviews of anywhere. But some of your reviews sound to me like they were written about another place and not the one I know. I come down to Rotorua frequently for business and I nearly always stay here. Yes, it is a very old place but I have always found it immaculately clean. Yes, the last owner was unpleasant at times but it is now owned by a young Korean couple who are polite, friendly and veyr obliging and the place is very cheap, especially given this is a tourist hotspot. The pools are amazing value and frankly, you pay for everything in this city, up to 30 dollars just to have one session in a hot pool. Here, they are included in your room price. If you want to stay at the Hilton, expect to pay the Hilton price but if you want somewhere with great pools and cheap this is it. Yes, it is on the main road and getting out can be a problem, but in this country we dont necessarily want instand road acess and compared with the service I had anywhere in the US, I cannot understand some of these reviews

Room Tip: The oldest rooms are the cheapest so if you dont mind a faded carpet ask for the small rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Chubdad
Reviewed 26 November 2010

This was the worst room we stayed in during our 5 week vacation. The carpet was filthy, the bathroom was so full of sandflies that we had to ask for Raid to kill them, and the furniture and drapes were discustingly old and dirty. There is a sign in the office that says "We do not show rooms, so don't ask". That should have been a clue. I didn't think I'd be able to stay in this room, but didn't think I could ask for a refund. We left first thing in the morning. I don't know about the other rooms, but this one was awful! DO NOT STAY IN THIS ROOM.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kathy2602
Reviewed 11 October 2010

We stayed in in one of the river suites. Very nice view of hot springs creek. Later that night we soaked our tired and sore bodies (from 13 hour flight) in the natural hot spring tub. Definitely could feel the difference with the natural minerals and cleansing waters. The staff (Mr Lee and his family) were very friendly and accomodating. They were willing to assist with our questions and receommending places in town.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank myconductor
Reviewed 5 September 2010

I stayed here with a big group of friends. We loved it, great value - was awesome to have a house sleeping 14 keeping us all togeather. The pool was great. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends