“Do Not Stay Here” 1 of 5 bubbles

Atsala Apartment Stay
Wellington, New Zealand
“Do Not Stay Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is a overpriced, horrible, run down B & B. Rough and unkempt/tidy.
The manager stays in a dark little cave flat downstairs, don't be surprised to wake up and find him in your apartment "fixing something" at random times.
Noisy plumbing.
The sky TV was a constant problem.
The furniture was uncomfortable, tatty and quite probably purchased 2nd hand from an op shop or garage sale.
Beware the backyard in case you or your children step on a "present " left by the owners dog.
We stayed with family in both Atsala apartments and they were equally as bad as each other. Both families agreed to leave early and try to find somewhere else to stay.

For the same price you could stay somewhere so much nicer. I recommend you do.

Oh tip of the day when in Rotorua. Slip into town early in the day, find a nice restaurant and book it for dinner. Don't leave it too late.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be nicer.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
10 Thank Our-NZ-holiday

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Don't stay here, honestly. We came in after another guess, owner did not clean rooms, we had to. He was rude beyond belief. I have travelled all over the world and this is one of the worst places ever.

• Stayed August 2011
10 Thank Yroa

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

I have travelled the world and regularly stay in hotels of all different price ranges. My stay in NZ this trip included travelling with my younger children. I was so tired of all the other accommodation I stayed in being overpriced and not child friendly even after stating when booking that we had small children and the receptionist advising it was child friendly accoommodation. Pulling up to Atsala my heart sunk a little bit - the front of the building does not do the justice the apartments inside so deserve. When walking into our unit I actually was so overwhelmed with how perfect it was that I gave the manager a huge hug and simply stated the obvious "STUNNING!"

To sleep in the magnicifant king size bed made me realise how much I need to update my bed at home... the sheets were crisp, clean and my sleep was amazing. The accommodation we stayed at previously saw me rolling off the edge bed or my husband and I rolling to the middle every time one of us moved... horrid and $50 a night more expensive then this little gem!

As a mother with small children, I would highly recommend this accommodation to any family wishing to travel to Rotorua.

Your host, Ian is fabulous! He was fine with the kids running around to get out their energy after driving a long day.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Gold Coast Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

I had been travelling around New Zealand with my wife and our 2 young kids, 10yrs old and 7 years old. We drove up from New Plymouth. Our kids had had enough of the drive and just wanted to run around like boys do.

This was our welcome to Atsala. The Manger there Ian was very welcoming, even with the boys, He was more than happy to show them where they could ride the skateboards.

We arrived late, so we asked Ian where the shops were, as we were staying for a few days and we needed to do a shop. He asked what we needed. We said milk and bread. Well he had already put fresh milk and a loaf of bread in the cupboard before we arrived, not to mention the fresh fruit on the table.

Unit we stayed in was very modern. Just like a 2 bedroom unit, nothing like a hotel or motel. This impressed me so I asked the manger Ian if he had different styles of a units as I am travelling there again with no kids. He showed me through the different units. Again, WOW. A very clean and well presented little set up.

I have worked for hotels such as the Sheraton Noosa and other 5 star hotels here on the Gold Coast. I am still in the Tourism industry and would like to let people know that Atsala in Rotorua is the best place to stay. I can’t fault it in anyway.

We will be back.

Steven Kennedy

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2011

Although this is marketed as an apartment stay, it's more of a Bed and Breakfast as the 'apartments' are converted parts of a house, and the owner lives downstairs. In our particular room the "Thermal Delight" we had an eclectic and somewhat dated collection of furniture which looked like it might have been discards from the family home. Advertised as having digital cable TV (Sky Digital on the website) to get this, you had to phone the owner and ask him to change the channel in his house to the one you wanted to watch.

At around 2am on the first night we were woken by water running down the wall in the dining area and could only find a pot to collect the water in. Next morning we couldn't contact the owner so decided to leave and find somewhere else. When we tried to get a refund for the unused part of the two night stay, the owner refused and actually said "God loves a trier"!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Casey6200
ATSALA, Owner at Atsala Apartment Stay, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
This review is totally deceiving as it does not create an accurate and honest description of both Atsala Apartment Stay and the situation surrounding this overly exaggerated and outragious set of complaints.

Atsala Apartments are totally self contained each with kitchens and independent access and are rated commercially as such with our local Council. There is no access to my own managers accomodation on ground floor level and are not part of a converted house.

Again to be a Bed and Breakfast operator here in NZ guests must dine at the table of the host in the owners home and that is not possible here and does not happen. Instead continental b/fast provisions are supplied to each of the Apartments and replaced daily.

Atsala Apartments have beautiful furniture and the very best in beds and bedding and in the Thermal Delight Apartment this sod occupied it has a magnificent carved leather lounge suite that every body just loves -an Italian glass top Dining suite -a Fully home theatre system with DVD player and yes it does Sky channels available but this particular Apartment does not have an independant decoder as the Rimu Room has but this has never been an issue as I simply ask the guest if there is anything they wish to watch please just task me and I will select the channel of their choice!

And now the real issue ! On the night of the 28th Jan 11 - Rotorua and the whole of the Bay of Plenty experienced the tail end of Cyclone Wilma -an unbelievely savage storm that tore the Roof,s off houses in its path , ripped down trees /power lines /blocked many Roads and the flooding was catastrophic everwhere so everybody was woken by the torrential rain and roaring winds.

If this customer claims that he was awoken by a leak that had developed in The Apartment and knowing that I live on site why didn,t he call me immediately ?? Of course I would been there to detect the problem .He did not do this as it was such an insignificant issue with absolutely no damage caused -on inspection the next morning it was discovered the the Ridgeline capping on the Apex of the roof had lifted slightly through the howling gale and a tiny little amount of water had penetrated a drip had found its way through one of the ceiling tiles landing on a carpet matt in the Dining area and I thanked him for letting me know and for catching the drips in a small sausepan - Any body would think that that by his desciption the whole Apartment was flooded out -absolute nonsense -the little pot was not even a third full and the carpet matt was removed and dried out in the sunshine in half an hour -a plumber was called and there is no problem -No damage at all !!

When this customer started demanding a refund I had no choice but to stand my ground as this booking was made through a 3rd party -the WOTIF site and he had bought a specially reduced 2 night minimum stay and his booking was paid to WOTIF not me and after explaining this entire situation to them they agreed that this request was unjustified as the minor issue had been completely rectified and he was also informed of that so when he began to threaten me with abuse and telling me that quote' You will refund me' I simply told the truth God loves a trier !!

This entire complaint is out of order and completely mis-leading -I rest my case -Thanks
chevy chase, md
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

Our 2 night stay in Rotorua turned out to be all the better for Ian, Atsala's owner/manager, who really made our trip. On 1st glance, Atsala is not your typical accommodation, but the king studio apartment was comfortable with a large bathroom & unusual shower, and a nice kitchen stocked with basic breakfast provisions. Ian could not have been more accommodating and helpful. He was very free with his advice about what to do in the Rotorua area, and though we had some plans in mind, all of the recommendations he offered were spot on. We saw and did so much more than we thought we would and owe it all to Ian. The Atsala is a bit of a work in progress, and could have stood a bit more attention to cleanliness, but I would whole heartedly recommend it if you are a traveler who is not looking for the generic, 5-star lodgings, and are more interested in the level of personal service & friendliness that traveling affords.

Finally, one last note about Ian--I inadvertently left my iPhone in our room at the Atsala. By the time I realized it we were already in Napier. We called Ian, he had found the iPhone, and agreed to ship it to our next destination. We offered to pay him for the shipping but he refused to accept anything for shipping it. I think he was almost as pleased as I was to learn the iPhone had arrived safely. In short, Ian is a real gem.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed in the "Rimu Apartment" at Atsala Apartment Stay for four nights in August 2010. Although the apartment looked initially modern (with exception of the 1960's kitchen) the cleaning of the place was very sub-standard. The kitchen and bathroom looked as if they hadn't been cleaned in at least a month or so (particularly the toilet and oven), and the house was overall very dusty. I am not usually one to complain, however the standard of cleanliness was rather disappointing. And for the price we paid for the appartment very unacceptable.

The greeting by the "Host/Owner" was also rather appauling. Granted we were a couple of hours late in arriving due to heavy traffic (arrived at about 7.30pm) - however we did not expect the Host/Owner to be very drunk and inappropriate upon our check in. Yes, that is right - drunk. And I don't just mean a couple of wines. This put a major damper on the start of our holiday. We are not prudish in any way - we are in our late 20's and don't mind a drink or two ourselves. But we were paying top dollar for the place and did not expect this from our "host".

Throughout the four days there were several occasions where we had discovered that he had been into our appartment while we were out. These are not serviced apartments and no fresh towels etc were left. We found this rather creepy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family