“Overnight stay in 2 bed apartment very very disappointing”

Atsala Apartment Stay
Atsala Apartment Stay
Brisbane, Australia
“Overnight stay in 2 bed apartment very very disappointing”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We stayed overnight in Rotorua at Atsala. Our appartment was grubby, dirty cutlery and crockery, shabby and well due for an update, however the beds were confortable and linen clean. TV didn't work and hairdryer did not work also. We were given a preused, dirty dish sponge and no dishwasher detergent, perhaps why all crockery needed a good wash. Single chair was broken in main lounge room. Needs a good clean and scrub overall. Nothing like the photos, must be very old ones

Overall a very very disappointing stay. It has been the most expensive stay in our six day trip and the worst accomodation by far .

Room Tip: go elswhere
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Trevor W
ATSALA, Owner at Atsala Apartment Stay, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
This review has only just been bought to my attention I and am absolutely appalled at the content and have reported this as suspicious to Trip Advisor.

I normally never read any feedbacks let alone respond to them as most people/customers are more than happy staying in these really nice Apartments and many come again and again.

I remember when this customer first arrived late afternoon on Sunday 2tst Jan 14 had a very unpleasant attitude when after welcoming him and explained that he needed to go back out the driveway and then drive up the second driveway to their apartment -he was very put out at having to do that and appeared to be frustrated and I was shocked at his hostile manner.
The Apartment he booked is the newest of the 2 bedroom ones -only 8 years old and really nice.
I cleaned this apartment myself on the day and it was immaculate after I had finished and the kitchen ware I also checked and everything was really clean !! There is a dish washer in this kitchen that most use..

The TV always works fine -a 42' LCD if you just turn it on and again the lazy-boy chair has a swivel seat and is a full recliner and is just great and certainly not broken !!! The hair dryer works perfectly and turns on automatically after removing the hand set from the wall.

Many families book this apartment and therefore the large Glass top Dining Suite has been replaced with a wooden set to reduce the risk of children hurting themselves on the Glass should they have a fall and is the only item of furniture that has been changed.

I also put a new dish cloth under the bench but did notice a small milk spot on the bench that I had missed so opened it and used it and rinsed it thoroughly after and yes I may have forgotten to check the detergent bottle but if this was such a problem or any thing else he could t just come and knock on my door or phone me and it would have been sorted on the spot.

He booked this Apartment on the Booking .Com site and the rate he paid was really good -$245.00 for one night-3 adults and has sent similar blog to them requesting a refund of which I refused and reluctantly agreed to a 15% discount refund on the condition that no negative feed back be placed on any sites.

In summary no one is perfect and in this industry we are all vunerable to be targeted by any one for any reason but this untruthful critisim is totally unacceptable and unwarranted and that is why I reported it as suspicious.

Thanks

Ian -owner operator

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Weert, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We 're the Dutch National Whitewater Rafting Team and stayed for about two weeks at At Sala with 7 persons. Beds and bathrooms we're all fine. Close to the city. 10 min walk. and 2 min walk to a nice Maori village Whakawerawera.!
Ian did all he could to make us feel at home, cleaned our rubish and vacuumed while we were away. He even came to shout for us during the competions at 1,5 hrs drive!!. That was great..! Had a little disturbance about the traffic at night when you sleep at the roadside. We even could store some Luggage while we were traveling after the games. Thanks Ian..!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

we came as a group for the last labour weekend and practically booked the entire place - there were 26 of us and it was just perfect for our stay. wr were lucky to find the place and book early. it was great for money as we got a very good deal from ian. although we saw some parts of the apartments that seemed like wasn't cleaned properly but it generally good. ian was very welcoming and very friendy and very approchable. we had a group bbq on saturday using his bbq unit and turned up to be a memorable night to all of us. we also felt the place was safe and secure. i would certainly recommend the place to everyone who are looking for a nice place to stay in rotorua. i would certainly come back with my family in the future.

• Stayed October 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I think important to give balanced feedback. We booked the accommodation at short notice. So that part of the experience was very good. The owner was very friendly and tried very hard to be accommodating. I think he genuinely wanted us to have a nice time. Which overall we did. For our large family the configuration of beds etc was good. My concerned were related to the cleanliness of the property. It was very dirty. I was very uncomfortable and had to wash everything before using. The pillowslips and towels had, what looked like bleach marks on them. The additional blankets we requested, made all our children with allergies itch, and I myself could not use them either. They were very dusty. Regardless of this, as we were on holiday we made the best of it, and had a great time. This was good value for such a large group, we have 4 kids and us parents.
I hope the owner can take this review as feedback, and maybe consider whither that part of his service can be improved, he seemed like a nice man.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Denise D

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I recently travelled to Rotorua to meet up with family as a half way point for a weekend getaway.

I found Atsala on the internet and we were able to fit 6 adults all in the one apartment which is very hard to find anywhere now days. The room we stayed in had a large king bed room, and another room with two twin beds and in the lounge two single beds. Not only could we fit 6 of us in the apartment I never felt at any stage that we were crowded as the rooms are very large with a spacious lounge and kitchen. It also has an outdoor area that you can go outside and use which would be nice for in the summer.

Ian the owner was very welcoming and friendly from the moment we arrived and gave us recommendations on what we could do in the area. He is the type of person that would go above and beyond to make sure your are enjoying your stay.

If you are looking for the Hilton then this isn’t the place for you, however if you are looking for something clean and comfortable and a place that feels like a home away from home then you would enjoy staying here. I would stay here again, it is great value for money, spacious rooms and great hospitality.

Travel Consultant Auckland

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Don't stay here its awful. Run down, shoddy, cheap.
Tricky photos on the internet makes the Atsala look very plush. don't be fooled.
The owner could well pop up in your room to "check something" while your getting changed or in the shower.
Don't let your kids play on the back lawn as the owners dog likes to toilet there.

Tip #1 for travelers to New Zealand. DO NOT leave valuables in your car. Especially in this Rotorua or Taupo region.
Tip #2. Do not wander around Rotorua or Taupo drunk at night and do not flash cash in any bar.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Our-NZ-holiday
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Lots of space with a double and a twin bedroom, divan in living room and spare bed if required. Spacious living room and nice balcony and outdoor area. Beds all really clean and comfortable and great shower. The host, Ian, is so friendly and would do anything for you. He's a fabulous pianist, leave the door open on a nice evening and enjoy listening to him play. If you have time to chat, he's a very interesting man. This place would be great for families wanting a bit of space. A bit out of town but if you have a car it's no problem, and free parking is available on site

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business