“Disgusting!”

Gwendoline Court Motel
Ranked #92 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Disgusting - the rooms were dirty, the carpet threadbare. Broken or missing tiles around the spa and the spas filter kicks in at around 4.30 am. That combined with the general noise from other residents and the road made for a terrible night. Also, we booked (and paid for) 2 queen beds and arrived to find one queen that looked as though the mattress hadn't been changed in 50 yrs and a fold out lounge that was from the same era. We stayed 1 night as we arrived at 10.30 pm, but left by 7.00 the next morning. Highly recommend you do not stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
SophieAuckland, Owner at Gwendoline Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

We appreciate your feedback

We understand that you had requested two queen beds in the room, unfortunately we do not have this configuration in any of the rooms, the rooms have a queen and single bed upstairs and two single beds downstairs.

I do appreciate the comment about the spa pool, we have found that the timer had been set incorrectly and did start to run in the middle of the night, I am extremely sorry about this, we have now corrected the timer on the spa pool

Greg Wilson

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed at this property because they allow animals and they were offering a cheap rate.
We were in unit 10.

The positives are that the units are huge they have their own thermal pool and the reception lady is polite and willing to help.

Shower had good pressure.

The bad.

This place is DIRTY. Kitchen was filthy and the cups in the room were so stained and dirty that I would not let my family use them. The electric hobs were filthy and the telephone was yellow with grime. I found a half drunk glass of water in the fridge and crusty dirty ice that I emptied for them.

The cleaners are appalling as when I sat down on chair I found a cough lolly, there was hair in the bed that we had not slept in (we used our sleeping bags and own pillows), brown marks all over the walls and stains all over the carpet.

The TV in my unit was not tuned in (although reception lady did come to do it).

The sheets had holes in them as did the chairs and everything was just so dirty.

I would like to end on a positive because the rooms were a good size and we only paid $107 for 2 adults and a Labrador. If this place was cleaned properly I would not have minded the tatty rooms so much.

I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask them if they have cleaned the room and take your own bedding!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Since your response we have moved to hired linen, all our linen now comes from Linen Apparell so the sheets are clean, fresh and pressed

We are disappointed that you experienced some housekeeping issues, we have recently spring cleaned all the rooms, and I am sure you will find them extremely clean

kind Regards

Greg Wilson

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Worst experience ever!!!!! walked in and was horrified the carpets were thread bear, the couch covers were older than I am (37) went up the stairs the bed looked as someone had been sleeping in it ( 2 pillows only positioned in middle of bed and blankets bunched up as if someone had just got out of it) ripped sheets, curtains hanging up by about 4 hooks instead of usual 20 odd, the furniture looked like it had been purchased off the side off road ( people putting out free stuff) my daughter pulled couch cover off her bed only to find the blankets were all stained!!!! Went and spoke to manager told her we were not snobby but this place was beyond a joke!!!! have seen uni student accommodation looking better than this!!!! she agreed!!! and looked at our sheet then informing us it was a non cancellation room and we would be charged for the 2 nights still, we disputed this and went away and rang booking.com (with which we had booked thru) they contacted management and agreed we would only be charged for one night. We went further down the road and got a room at the Rydges for only $20 more a night !!! ASK YOURSELF JUST SAYING!!!!

MY ADVICE....Stay well away from here (it will ruin your break away) and don't book with a non cancellation term!!! I have since investigated and have realised the owners of this motel own other motels as well so I can only imagine what they are also like!!! The pictures we saw over the net reflected not one resemblance of what we were given.... cancellation fees should not apply when you have actually turned up and the standards of the accommodation are way below minimum expectations!!!!!

1  Thank Allison C

It is very disappointing to receive your comments, clearly in this instance we did not meet your expectations

Since your stay in January we have moved to hired linen, we can now confidently say that we have clean/ fresh and well pressed linen.

We have not ungraded the future yet, but we now have plans to upgrade some of the future to provide a more modern look

Our rooms are very clean, and we now have supervisors check the rooms to ensure they are clean

We appreciate your comments, and believe that we have made changes that you would appreciate

We do hope that you will again consider staying at our motel, we assure you of over best service

Reviewed 10 January 2014

cobwebs falling everywhere, wood broken round spa (dangerous) both my daughter and i got glass splinter in our feet!, no towels had to ask, no toilet paper renewed, massive cockroach under cushion on downstairs bed, stove filthy, no internet, no dvd which it said it had, ant explosion in kitchen, so all in all not a very pleasant 3 nights!! will not go back, oh on the plus side the lady on reception was very nice

Room Tip: wouldn't recommend at all and i am not that fussy
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay

It appears your room was not serviced correctly during your stay, we have now put a new system in place to ensure that daily services are checked by the supervisor.

We understand that you had some housekeeping issues and we have resolved these.

We do hope we can accommodate you again in the future

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I only hope someone reads this before booking this disastrous accommodation. The place was FILTHY. Carpets threadbare, toilets filthy, cigarette burns, torn curtains, infested with ants. Luxury???? What a joke. Other reviews stated this place was tatty 3 years ago, you can only imagine what it looks like now. Like a squatters den. Completely ruined our visit, and at $150 for the night, I feel ripped off.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

We are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay in January

We appreciate your comments, and the issues you have raised have been resolved

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Yes it's a bit tired and needs a make over but very clean & spacious.
Everything was in order and the kitchen was well equipped, the beds were very comfortable and lovely and fresh. The spa area could do with a water blast but it was great to have a spa at the end of the night and we found it refreshing. Shame it was not mineral water but great non the less.
I have read other reviews on this place and was a bit dumb founded by them quite frankly, maybe we had one of the better ones ?ours was the one in the front closest to the road and while it was a bit noisy in the morning it was to be expected. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Land007

The Gwendoline is a Great place to stay, and great to hear that you found the rooms clean and fresh

We accept some of the furniture needs to be updated and we are starting to plan and start a program replacing the furniture shortly

Reviewed 15 September 2013

A friend and myself decided that we needed to get away from all the stresses of Auckland. The temptation to soak in hot baths and unwind in Rotorua was just too good to resist so after some internet hunting I managed to purchase a really good accommodation deal thru Trade Me and Travel Bug. Well what can I say except for the fact that I'm glad I did not pay the full rate of the unit price otherwise there would have been a mutiny! On reading the advice of other travellers I did know well in advance that the units were old, tired and very outdated so I was forewarned. I found the unit that we stayed in to be clean but badly in need of repair. The shower pressure was pathetic, there was only 1 working stovetop hob and there was a big gaping hole in the roof which overlooks the Spa Pool and If it rains and you're in the Spa Pool at the time like I was you can feel the cold rain dripping down on you. The unit was not ready when we arrived and took an extra hour to be ready. The puzzling part of the early evening though was some woman in her late 40's I'd say banging loudly on our door asking If there were men around so that she could borrow their undies Ummmm, Eeeeeee!!! Apparently this women was part of a netball team and they wanted men's undies for god knows what, I shudder to think! Thankfully we had no men with us. On the plus side the bed was comfy, the Spa Pool was big, the size of the unit was rather spacious and since we had unit 9 which was located at the rear of the building we had a private carpark alongside our unit in which to park my car which came in rather handy as another resident claimed her car was not going (this turned out to be a lie) and so her big 4 wheel drive vehicle was actually causing parking problems for other people staying at Gwendoline. In concluding this review, Gwendoline could have great potential if it was upgraded.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

At the time you stayed we had a large netball team staying with us, and they perhaps enjoyed themselves a bit too much. I am sorry that they disturbed you, we did request that they would respect the other guests staying.

I do appreciate your comments about the roof over the spa pool, this has been replaced

We appreciate your feedback