“Excellent Hospitality”

Ranked #1 of 53 Rotorua B&B and Inns
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Excellent Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

I spent a couple of relaxing days at Mokoia Downs in November 2012. The property is expansive, quiet and close by car to attractions. I have never been better taken care of than here. Every afternoon when I returned from an excursion, I would be greeted with freshly baked goods and tea. Evenings guests would gather around the bar and could sample Mick's liquors or have a glass of wine and talk about their adventures. Breakfast was delicious. I had difficulty deciding what to focus on. Theresa took care of helping me plan my days and the Maori dinner show.
Although I did not bring children, Mick and Theresa were equally attentive to the needs of other guests' children. There is plenty for children to do on the grounds including feeding the livestock-- friendly donkeys, sheep, and chickens.
I had no time to peruse the library, but it looked impressive.
I hope to be back for more.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
West Malling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

The place itself is lovely and relaxing.the hosts could not have been more welcoming,and the breakfast was superb.ISet in about 5 acres with a lake,donkeys,sheep,ducks and chickens it was wonderful to do a bar b que looking over this fine setting.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in Dec 2012. The Garden room was very comfortable with all possible amenities considered and provided. Breakfast was superb each day and Mick and Theresa are excellent hosts. Nothing is too much trouble and they gave us useful advice on places to visit and see. there was always a welcoming drink at the bar each evening when we returned! The Mokoia Downs is on the outskirts of Rotorua, 10 minutes drive into town, in a quiet, peaceful location. We would recommend it highly.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

Wow! I have stayed two nights at this gorgeous B&B and highly recommend it. Mike's and Theresa's level of care and attention to detail was awesome. I'm traveling by myself and after a 30-hour journey from USA it was great to feel I did not have to worry about a thing! Mike picked me up at the airport, they made reservations and recommended great activiies, prepared the most unexpected breakfast I have had in a B&B (including a jam with ginger because I mentioned I like ginger the night before), and surprised me with salsa music in the background to make feel at home. They genuinely care about their vistors. I felt like I was staying with friends. I could say so much more but I'm running out of space :-). Ah and the facility is very clean.

• Stayed November 2012
Whangarei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

Mick and Teresa wecomed me back to Mokoia Downs as warmly as ever. This time I dipped into their extensive library of autobiographies and read one on my namesake. I sat in the lovely light conservatory and it was all so peaceful.

The place is on the outskirts of Rotorua so you haven't got the smell of the sulphor. It is also very quiet and no intrusive traffic noise. I like to walk around the gardens which at this time of the year were alive with the blossom of spring.

The breakfasts are great and I have taken the recipe for the filled eggs - gorgeous.

Try the home made liqueurs!

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable and quiet. There is no traffic noise and only the sound of birdsong as...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

This was one of the very best places we stayed at during our 4 week tour of NZ - mostly because of the charm and hospitality of the owners, Mick and Teresa. They make you feel right at home and ply you with fantastic cakes and muffins, breakfast was amazing with home made granola, and in the evenings we were included in a great multi-national get-together where Mick serves all kinds of alcohol from his impressive bar - with Irish coffee to end provided totally free. Generous, but just one small example of the great efforts put in to make everyone feel welcome. Even the flags on the long and winding drive are changed to reflect the nationalities of the residents. Please don't be put off by thinking that you'll be forced to socialise is you're not entirely confident - Teresa will use her Irish charms on you and won't force anything on you - the property itself is massive, lined with more books than WH Smith has, and there are plenty of quiet and private places, and some great artefacts too. This is a special place - a real home from home and 'with friends' atmosphere - Mick and Teresa are wonderfully hosts. When selecting this from the many accommodations in and around Rotorua, I read that sulphur smells can be noticeable in some areas, but this is not a problem at Mokoia Downs. My tip if using sat nav is that mine stopped short of the junction by approx 50m and told me I had arrived. If this happens to you, drive on 50m, turn right, drive up the road to a T junction and turn right again. The entrance to the property is a bit concealed, but it is on your right. A lovely place, don't miss it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarryfromCornwall
New Glasgow, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

Travelling alone in New Zealand I could not have asked for a better experience then staying at Mokoia Downs. I do emphasis experience from the time I was picked up at the bus stop until the time I got dropped off at the airport Mick and Theresa were the perfect hosts. This is not just a business to them but an opportunity to share their wonderful home and estate with visitors. Besides the very warm welcome , excellent breakfeasts , evening cocktails and story sharing with others they helped me arrange my day trips and a Mauri dinner and show. When I return to Rotorua I will not be staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: I had the new room in the backyard and loved it!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo