Doolan's Country Retreat
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsricky martinb bshania twainnew zealandsurrounded by beautiful gardensbed and breakfastplaces to visitlake rotoruaother guestshomemade jamsbreakfast was deliciousstayed longerwealth of knowledgepleasure of stayingbeautiful place to stayan easy drivecommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I agree with almost every positive comment previous reviewers have offered. I echo the raves for the gorgeous house, incredible views and gardens, overwhelming hospitality, etc. If we ever return to Rotorua, we would stay there again without question.

I give this B&B 4 stars because to me, 5 stars means "perfection" -- a place where I can find nothing at all that could be improved. Here I have two minor concerns that keep it from being perfect. First, three of the four rooms seemed to us to be a bit small and cramped. Second, the breakfast was not as good as others we were served in New Zealand (or the many other countries where we frequent B&Bs). At a "perfect" B&B we expect some home-made treats, not just fruit and baked goods out of a package.

But as I said before, I'd still highly recommend Doolan's to anyone staying in the Rotorua area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pathfinderNj
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Christine, our host, has a beautiful, clean home on a hill outside of Ngongotaha, overlooking Lake Rotorua. When you arivie at Doolan's you immediately feel welcome . Not only is the home beautiful, but the gardens are as well. We found our host to be very helpful, and she made us feel at home. We caught trout in lake Rotorua one day and brought several back for Christine. Before it was all over, the guests pitched in and prepared an impromptu dinner of fresh trout and fresh vegetables from Christines garden. How cool is that!

Thanks, Christine

Chuck and Sue

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChuckCJ
Reviewed 3 April 2011

It is hardly surprising to see that other reviewers have given Doolan’s 100% excellent ratings. This is a marvellous place to stay. A remarkable setting, on a hilltop with views across to the lake and a house with an extraordinary and inspired angular design.

But it is the hostess who makes it so memorable. Christine is a one-off – an elegant, delightful lady who runs the house and its 10 acres with amazing energy and enthusiasm. Her style of hospitality is very much her own. Nothing is too much trouble. She is happy to prepare a meal if you want it (and I imagine her dinners are excellent – the breakfasts were certainly delicious and very generous), but when we mentioned that what we really wanted was to just enjoy bread, cheese and salads over a bottle of wine in the evening, she happily handed over her enormous kitchen to us to store and prepare our food.

And there were endless diversions, from Christine’s donkeys and quails to the stargazing session – a stunning night sky saw us and two other guests lined up on the terrace with a drink and rugs to fend off the evening chill while the indefatigable Christine talked us through the various star formations.

Truly a remarkable place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2011

December 2010 my 4 year old daughter and I stayed at the Doolans for three nights. A very warm welcome, a real treat to stay there. The second day my daughter was very ill and I was so happy we were staying there, the Doolans were so nice for her. It was like we were family and the feeling of a warm bath was just what we needed. Beautifull view over lake Rotarura. Romantic garden. Very nice with the 4 donkeys, some young calfs, the birds that my daughter could feed and pet. Close to all beautiful major attractions in the area (Agrodome, Wai-O-Tapu, Maori village etc etc). The accommodation and the land around it is peacefull and serene. Christine has good advise about the area for all sorts of people (young or old). Nothing is to much. Also her son Andy and grandson were so friendly to us. A family you wish for.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank NewZealandRotterdam
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Doolans Retreat was a highlight of our trip to NZ, Christine was so fantastic and the best tour advisor for NZ you could get. Were hoping to return again soon! The Polynesion Spa is a must the view over the lake it outstanding and also Rainbow Springs to get up close to Kiwi's!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple