“Really great place to stay”

VR Rotorua Lake Resort
Ranked #23 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
chicago
“Really great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

They are about 10 minutes from Rotorua, but without the sulfur smell. Very nice rooms and great two story hotel. Reminds me of a lake hotel from the 50's. Clean and well cared for, prices are good, except for the restaurant, and the place is very quite. I spent most of my time doing other things so I was there primarily at night. If you like fishing this would be a good hotel to try.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bthaynes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Nampa, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

Take a few minutes to drive up the side of the lake in Rotorua to escape the touristy party of the city .. and to stay at Amora Lake Resort. They are situated on a smaller lake flowing into the larger lake, showcasing a nicely laid out facility, comfy rooms (either walk out or lovely balconied rooms with lake views) sporting flat screen tvs, a grand restaurant (we especially recommend the package that includes breakfast!), Dizney the dog to delight all guests while he fulfills his 'keep the geese away' duties, and a really first-rate staff. We stayed with clients and we were all delighted with the proximity to major attractions (Agrodome 15 minutes, Te Puia 20 minutes, etc.) and the ability to return to quiet tranquility later in the afternoons. We highly recommend this wonderful hotel/resort.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Irishwriter1916
Ferndown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

A lovely hotel situated in beautiful surroundings. Very comfortable room overlooking the lake. As we were on our honeymoon, the management gave us champagne to have with our meal. Restaurant meal was perfect, with friendly staff. Position of hotel was a short drive from Rotorua, with all of it's facilities. Highly recommended

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DGM2444
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night in Feb after driving down from Auckland and looking at the sights in Rotorua. Got a room overlooking the lake with a lounge room. Beautiful views and friendly efficient staff. Did not dine there but drive into Rotorua instead because it isn't far. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Andrew W
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

Checked in on 1st Feb after a particularly awful week of work and it was like walking in to paradise. From Check in I was greeted by Amri who gave us our room keys (we had booked a king & twin room) and gave us directions to our quarters.

Twin Room:
Room 207 was upstairs with a lovely view of the lake - it was very clean, tidy and comfortable.

King Room:
Room 113 was AMAZING - it was a beautiful king suit with huge bathroom / spa bath and shower separate to the toilet area. There was a walk in wardrobe with large mirror and great lighting and a separate lounge/kitchen area. We have a small table and chair set just outside our room and we could open all the ranch sliders (2x lounge & 1x bedroom) so that we had views right across the lake - it was MAGICAL. I would definately recommend that if this room is available you request it :)

Had a drink at the bar Friday night and the staff were very attentive and helpful. I asked for directions to a few local sights and was given a complimentary map from the reception desk.

Saturday I spent the morning out and about but came back in the afternoon for a dip in the pool and spa. Although it wasnt the deepest pool in the world it was very clean and had a separate shallow area for children. There were complimentary towels available in the changing rooms in the pool area and although I was a bit self conscious because the pool is next to the reception / bar area there was an external entrance which meant I could walk around the outside of the hotel instead of walking thru the middle of the public areas and not worry about leaving wet foot prints on the immaculately cleaned wooden floors.

Restaurant:
WOW - there was plenty to choose from and I selected the steak/chips and yorkshire pudding - the wait was a little long but that was because the restaurant/hotel was at full capacity on Saturday night but the meal was AMAZING. The steak was perfectly cooked, it was accompanied with delicious greenbeans and a mini salad, home made chunky style chips with aioli sauce and the most amazing yorkshire pudding.....it was so filling I couldnt make it to the next course!

BREAKFAST: yum breakfast was awesome - there was a range of small pastries (croissant/apple pie/pan au chocolate) as well as fruit (rockmelon/watermelon/plums/apricots) cereals (muesli/weetbixs/cornflates and rice bubbles) plus the hot food options (sausages/eggs/mushrooms/cooked tomatoes) and hot toast brought to your tables. There was a wide variety of spreads for the toast and the staff were really attentive about topping up toast and refilling the bay maries with hot food items. There was several varieties of juice and the best coffee ever!!! Cannot emphasize enough how good the breakfast was. My partner is a big eater and polished off quite a bit of food in the mornings and they just smiled and kept clearing away his dishes so he could start with a fresh plate.
House keeping:
Very polite and helpful. I didnt realise when I first arrived that there were complimentary towels in the pool room so I took out my lovely room towels and the cleaning staff who spotted me took the initiative and went to my room to leave me a fresh set of towels :)

I have stayed at plenty of resorts in my time but never have I seen staff so friendly and genuinely interested. I would highly recommend this resort to everyone especially families.

The resort is very quiet and suitable for families or people who just want to relax/get out on the water.

There is a trampoline / swing set for kids and a gorgeous canine resident named Disney.

Ive read the other reviews before I went to Amora and although it is an older resort and could probably do with a lick of paint or water blast the service was sterling.

Amora is only 15 min drive from Central Rotorua.

Room Tip: Definately ask for a King Suit - room 113 is awesome and did not cost any extra.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tasmyn L
Tauranga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2013

I spent 2 days here as a short break away with my husband. We stayed in a suite that was beautiful but the rooms really need to have air conditioning as during our stay it was so hot we had to keep our door open to let a breeze in. The hotel is beautiful to look at but really needs to be repainted. The entrance way arches and our bedroom balcony were spoilt by the heavily flaking paint.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Omokoroa NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

1st came here 26 years ago on my honeymoon, and returned yesterday for a work conference. The Amora has a wonderful setting with the ground floor floor bedrooms opening out onto Lake Rotoiti - a beautiful relaxing view to wake up to. Excellent friendly service by all the staff. We were treated to a lovely lunch - NZ lamb, and a wonderful deep dish apple pie. We borrowed kayaks (lifejackets provided) and had fun in the lake and then warmed up again in the pool and spa pool. There is a tennis court and paddle boats available for use. You can charter a boat and try your hand at trout fishing or bring your own boat to launch of their pier. Or if you prefer walking there are some lovely walks along the lake edge. The bedrooms are neutral in colour and were clean - with the best feature being a lovely deep bath and a free standing shower. However this is not 4 or 5 star luxury I feel a little attention to the exterior paintwork wouldn't go astray also the bedrooms are not air conditioned (the fan that was provided didn't cut the heat & was noisy) ! I personally feel the bedrooms they need a bit of a make over - flat screen TV, new beds, duvet and decent pillows wouldn't go astray. But overall this is a reasonable place to come for a couple of days to unwind.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor fronting the lake room for the best views and quick access to the water.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business