“Great food. Great atmosphere”

Hennessy's Irish Bar
Ranked #26 of 249 Restaurants in Rotorua
Price range: US$3 - US$18
Cuisines: Irish, Pub, Gastropub, New Zealand
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A little slice of Dublin right in the heart of Rotorua! Serving great food, great drinks and showing LIVE sport daily, the only place to feel at home in Rotorua if you've a touch of Irish!
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A very pleasant evening meal for the family. Not crowded when we went. Staff were very friendly and chatty. Food was really tasty. Good value for money. Great decor to fit the theme.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My partner and I went to this pub for a couple of beers before dinner on Friday 6 June on our road trip from Wellington to Auckland. There were 3 staff and they all were very nice and friendly. And we checked a food menu and mussel looked nice and quite good value so we ordered it for a snack it was great! We went back to after dinner for a last drink to end our 2 night Rotorua stay. I personally really like this pub;-) Yasu from Sydney Australia

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I just left this bar having a wonderful experience and meal . It was very cold outside and we loved their open fire thats what dragged us in. We stayed on and had a couple more drinks than expected beacause of the lovely warmth. We watched rugby ( which we don't like much) luckily I could watch the french open on one of the other well placed. Tomorrow night we are coming back for dinner as our last night in Rotorua, having dinner in the same place for the first time on our holidays.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Drinks are overpriced and food is just...not good. It would have been completely bland if it weren't for the fact that the food was bathing in BBQ sauce and "Aïoli". When the menu says fried onions I'm expecting fried onions , not onion chutney(blah!). I would understand if it was a busy night and you were in the weeds, but I was the only other customer in there. Also, 10 bucks for a pint?! Where am I, Saint Tropez?!
P.S: I will be happy to show you how to make Aoïli...

4menandadog, Owner at Hennessy's Irish Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Disappointed to read your review which strangely enough for someone who seems to be such an expert on Food, Restaurants and Flavours I see it's the only review you've ever done!
I also see that you tell fibs when you say "beer is $10 a pint" - ALL our tap beers other than Guinness and Kilkenny are priced between $7 and $8 and both Guinness and Kilkenny are priced at a national average of $9.50. I must also point out to you that in the last twelve months our prices have not risen, but in that period there have been two increases in the prices charged to us by the Breweries and a national wage increase. I would also suggest to you that all our prices whether it be on alcohol or beer pricing would be considered to be very fair. I feel that this is just another review that may have been done by someone with less than the right intentions and I find it very sad when Trip Advisor is used for these purposes, as do many operators.
We stand by our outstanding product and that has been rated very highly on many genuine reviews. So I hope you feel nice about yourself when doing reviews that are not quite correct.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We wanted a pub dinner and had a look at the two options within Rotorua, Pig and Whistle and the Irish Pub. Earlier in the day we looked at the menus for each location and the prices at the Irish Pub seemed more reasonable for pub-grub.....

On arrival we ordered bangers and mash ($18.99) and I ordered a beer and my partner a bourbon and coke. Both came to over $28:00 each.......... working the math out I estimated that the beer was over $9 and the spirit $10...... so off I returned to the bar to enquire - sure enough $9.60 the beer and $10 spirit - ouch!! Guess it is the pub's way of encouraging responsible drinking! you can't afford a second!

World travelled and seasoned, this is the highest we have paid for a single drink. Bangers were OK, nothing special - all up unimpressed.

Sorry I don't understand your arithmetic a tap beer and bourbon (double) costs you $16.50, and if it happened to be a Guinness and a bourbon (double) that would cost you $18.
Yes you are right, Bangers and Mash are $18.90, that is for three large beef sausages, garden peas and generous serve of mash with gravy... & that's surely good value in anyone's book!
I suggest next time when buying drinks in a bar you need to take a calculator with you.