“Rob Roy Treasure!”

Rob Roy Motel
Auckland
“Rob Roy Treasure!”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Our second time in the last 12 months at this venerable motel. Made warm and welcoming by it's owners this motel is a quiet, respectable, well established motel, within walking distance of any and all of Rotorua's shops and central visitor attractions.
Notably the Horse racing track simply across the road.
Priced to please considering it's closeness to the city, and always clean and tidy.
The Rob Roy has a special attraction these days, it's own genuine mineral pools, for the exclusive use of it's guests.

Room Tip: Ring ahead and ask for what you'd like, the owners are only too happy to accommodate you in thei...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Rob Roy Motel. The owners are very friendly and will do everything possible to make sure you have everything you need. They will book up trips for you as well. The whole place was clean, tidy and quiet. Everything you need for cooking is there plus complimentary tea/coffee/etc. You can even take a bath in their own private bathhouse with hot springs water from a tap. Wonderful for tired limbs! I thoroughly recommend this motel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
New Zealand
Reviewed 9 April 2012

The positives- its clean and tidy and good shower pressure but oh my! this place probably hasnt had anything done to it for years and its not that appealing - posters everywhere, generally unkept exterior (Weeds in drive way and gardens untidy), and just feels that the owners have given up making it look its best or anything like the website. That said its adequate digs for one night but you would need to get rooms at budget rates to make it worth it

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I had booked a room at Rob Roy motel when there was only one review to go on, so I really didn't know what I was in for. I continued to check up until the dates of my stay and more reviews were added, which were really mixed, so I was quite apprehensive. The latest review before staying here was pretty bad so I was preparing myself for the worst. Once I made it to Rob Roy however I was plesantly surprised. The room was really tidy and clean, not dirty, and the beds were actually really comfortable, not hard like the other reviews painted them to be. I found it to be more than adequate for my three night stay. There was complimentary milk in the fridge, and the cupboards had plates, bowls, cutlery, frying pans, a toaster and other utensils. The reception on the tv weas good, and the couches were comfy also. The shower and toilet were clean and the towels were good. Overall I found it a really nice place to stay on a budget. I don't know if maybe previous reviewers are used to more upmarket accommodation or maybe got a bad room? But I would definitely recommend it. Although it's decor is dated, this is merely superficial, and the actual quality of the room is good. Only downside I would say was that the carparks are a tight squeeze and the decor is a bit dated; but apart from that I had a pleasant stay and don't have any complaints :)

Room Tip: Stayed in room 7, which is bottom floor furthest from reception. Got heaps of sunlight and was a goo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ashlynn a
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 January 2012

this motel has carparks which are numbered according to the room numbers. but we found that the owner(who seemed to be the owner) have pointing other people to our carpark while we were out for dinner. he lied at first and told us that he does not know who the car belongs, but he then called the man to remove his car when we started arguing back. we know he has the details of the car owner since everyone needs to give him the plate number when checking in. the owner was rude and unhelpful.
the room was dirty, the wall had patches of peeled off paint. the shower room was dirty and small. the kitchen had flies and the bench tops were sticky, the kettle had visible stains
there was holes in the funiture fabrics and chairs was wobbly.
the spa pool outside our unit needs a decent clean and grasses out side were so long that it was over my knees.
though the location was handy but would never consider returning or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We arrived with family for a one night stay between Christmas and New Year and the first impression was not good. The garden at the front is very overgrown and unkempt and the blinds at the windows were broken - not a good look! We had a studio room for ourselves.
The room was very dated, but was clean and the shower was good pressure. The bed, however, was rock hard and we had an uncomfortable night.
We did not use the hot pools, but had a look and the one we saw looked as though it needed a good repaint.
The Indian couple running the motel were lovely and could not do enough for us.
I would not stay here for longer than 1 night. I think it needs shutting down room by room and every room refurbished to a much higher degree. The price we paid was very nearly too much for the standard we got.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The problem was that I was late arriving at Rob Roy. Had I arrived in 1974 I would have appreciated the up to date styling, the beautiful orange curtains, brown and orange bed spreads, avacado bathroom suite and gorgeous formica coffee table.
The motel, as you'd expect from the name, has a strong Scotish theme so it stands to reason it is run by an Indian couple. They were lovely and very attentive, dealing with any problems quickly. They also took excellent care of the two hot mineral pools on site (although these desparately need a coat of paint).
On the down side, the room was terrible. As well as being about 30 years out of date I found it extremely noisey with lots of traffic passing by all night long. The beds were variously very hard or very soft with neither position providing any comfort which resulted in a poor quality of sleep.
By far the worst room was the bathroom. It was dark, dingy and the toilet floor looked dirty. The taps were so close to the back of the sink that it was impossible to wash my hands under them and I had difficulty even getting my toothbrush wet.
To be fair, I was shown a room which had recently been redecorated (only to be told it was booked and I couldn't have it) so I know that not every room is like the one I had but if it were my Motel I would be embarrassed to give anyone the room I was given.
Overall, probably a safe bet for a short stay, given the price, but don't get your hopes up.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family