“Great for the family” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holdens Bay Holiday Park
Hastings, New Zealand
“Great for the family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Happy with our choice to stay here for a few nights. Clean and tidy and value for money. Staff very helpful and obliging when we needed our bikes stored. Is a wee bit out of town but a small shopping centre is close by. Kids loved the pool, playground, creek, birds and trampoline.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Picton, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed in the 2 bedroom motel unit which included a daily service (change of rubbish bin liner, towels as needed) and this was not done. Not acceptable in my books.
Fridge was not very good - if you cooled it down everything froze! In general the unit was looking rather tired.
On the plus side - excellent facilities for young children to enjoy and very close to the lake edge and Hannahs Reserve which is a great family area.
Be aware also that it is very close to the airport and the turboprop planes used for domestic flights are quite loud as they go overhead.
$NZ100 for the room was quite cheap, but the failure to provide the basic service which was part of the price is a big black mark.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ed R
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the cabins and the mattress were saggy and very old decor. No sink in cabins and had to ask for a top sheet for bed. If your on a tight budget, fair enough. They need to update the cabins and get new flooring and new mattress. People are friendly and good location.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed in the one bedroom motel unit which was very clean and tidy with lots of room. We felt that for what we paid it was great value for money plus we got a free bottle of wine on arrival which came with our package deal. The kids had a great time in the pool and the spa plus there is a great little stream which our eldest son had a great time exploring. Our boys also loved the playground and the trampoline. Service was great and the staff were nothing but friendly. We required a cot and a highchair for our room and these were provided straight away in very good, clean condition.

Would certainly stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Hi Hayley,

Thank you so much for your great review & feedback. We are happy to hear that the kids enjoyed themselves here at the Park & that the Unit was clean & comfortable. We hope to be of service to you & your family again in the near future.

Have a good weekend & a big thank you again from the team at Holdens Bay Holiday Park
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Having booked the "large" one bedroom hotel unit, we were truely impressed by how big it really was especially for the price we got it at! Had everything we needed and the kitchen was well stocked. The kids loved playing in the little stream running through. Very genuine welcome when we arrived. Thanks to all at Holdens Bay. :-)

Room Tip: We had the large one bedroom unit and it really did feel large.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hi,

Thank you so much for your great review & feedback. We are so happy to hear that the Unit was spacious enough & comfortable & that the kids enjoyed the stream. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

A big thank you again from the team at Holdens Bay Holiday Park
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom motel unit and you could not ask for better value for money. Plenty of room - tidy kitchen with decent microwave/kettle/toaster -element/grill was basic, but it was all that we needed. As you would expect for the price the unit was not it the tidiest of conditions, with very badly stained carpets & slightly tattered couch, but the walls & the rest of the floors were fresh & clean looking. The shower was basic but adequate & the bathroom roomy. The towels were changed each day & tea/coffee/milk were provided on arrival which was a nice touch for accommodation on a budget.
We were checked in by a very friendly staff member, the setting was pleasant - especially the children's playground with a lovely stream running through it & a nice swimming pool.
I have only two criticisms -firstly the hot water coming out of the taps at boiling temperature (literally boiling with steam coming out of the taps), so please be aware if you stay here with children - a child would be badly burnt touching the water straight from the tap. Secondly when we went to leave we need the perfunctory check under the beds -appears we might have been the only people to do that it quite some time with the amount of rubbish, old socks and even a glass with the remnants of an old drink still in it we found there!
All in all I would happily stay here again & would recommend it as a good place for families.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for your review & feeback, we ppreciate all reviews very much.

We are happy to hear that you had a good stay & that the facilities within the Unit & the Park was of great use to you & your family & of satisfactory.

I am however very dissapointed to hear about what you found under the beds & I sincerely apologise for this but also appreciate the feedback as I always report feedback back to our Staff & this have reminded them to take extra care when cleaning & vacuuming the rooms as cleanliness is of high importance.
Also thank you in regards to the feedback about the hot water - would you be so kind to email or ring us with the Unti number you stayed in so that we can get on top of this ASAP so that we can change the temperature to avoid any injuries in the near future.

Once again thank you for your great review & we look forward to being of servcie to you & your family again the future.

Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

The rooms are basic but have everything you need. If you are in NZ for the first time, your time in the room would be minimal anyway. Its slightly further out of town than we initially thought but very close to the main road in and out of town. We traveled with myself and my 8 yo son. It was easy to book tours, get in and out of town. The price reflects the state of the rooms but there was nothing that was terribly bad about the room. Just basic and comfortable.
The only criticism I have was the slight lack of service we received when my son became very ill and needed to go to hospital. As we were on our own, I would have liked some more help from the reception desk. They did let me use the phone and gave me a map of where the hospital was located but their concern was lacking. I was left in the reception area on my own on the phone to my Australian Insurance Company frantically trying to get medical help for my son who had a severe respiratory infection. I was crying and very panicked and really needed someone to help me. I would have liked for them to maybe have shown some compassion for my situation and perhaps have tried to help me more. They could hear my conversation but chose to leave me there on my own. Given that I was in a foreign country, I could have done with some support. The following day when my son was discharged, the reception desk had left a note stuck to our room door with a message from our Insurance company. It was a little disappointing that they didn't come and see if we needed anything and if everything was ok. The following day we departed as initially scheduled. The service prior to the hospital incident was good.

Room Tip: The park is situated on a flight path directly behind Rotorua International airport. However, the di...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HBHP, Manager at Holdens Bay Holiday Park, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Hi Emma,

Firstly thank you so much for your review & feedback, we are happy to hear your stay was comfortable. We do hope you enjoyed Rotorua & got to do as much as you can. Secondly I would like to apologise that we did not exceed the expectation of customer service to you when your son got sick. We leave all our guests in private when they are on a phone call or making a call so we were not aware that you were upset while on the phone otherwise we would have given you more support & would have checked up on you if we had known or were informed of the actual seriousness of the matter or outcome & I would have highly recommended the hospital that morning instead of the urgent medical centre or pharmacy if I had known his cough was of more seriousness. Once again we sincerely apologise for this and we do hope that your son is now better.

Thank you once again for your feedback. We hope you had a good holiday & stay before your son got unwell & hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotorua
Tickled Trout Bed & Breakfast
The Lake House Rotorua
The Lake House Rotorua
#27 of 56 in Rotorua
Rotorua Thermal Holiday Park

Been to Holdens Bay Holiday Park? Share your experiences!