“Cute - with great coffee”
Review of Picnic Cafe

Picnic Cafe
Ranked #8 of 238 Restaurants in Rotorua
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Cuisines: Contemporary, Cafe, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Friendly service, and good coffee. Little bit crapped in the food ordering part and need to keep moving out of the way of staff while waiting for coffee but all in all pretty good. Came back for breakfast and good food, and reasonable value for money too.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Absolutely Amazing!! had a great breakfast, definitely recommend the eggs Benedict with salmon. This place had good food, great coffee and amazing service. Will try and get back there over the NZ summer, its right next to the lake and can imagine it being even better on a beautiful day (I went when it was a bit wet).
Being on a travelling budget I could easily take myself and my partner out for a top quality breakfast that was actually affordable.
If your staying in Rotorua give this little gem a go, you wont regret it.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have visited Picnic regularly over the last few months and love the atmosphere. Always feels bright and friendly even on a wet and miserable day. Love the crepes and think it's the best coffee in town. I highly recommend Picnic if you are staying in Rotorua.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This restaurant is off Eat Street, quiet but full of suprises. The Menu is good, with breakfast and lunch. Liscenced. Opposite Ibis and Novatel Hotels, so in a good location. Staff are terrific and go to great lengths to satisfy their customers. I have been there several times and highly recommend it.My answer is "TRY IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF" you wont be dissapointed

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Food was okay but not what the reviews are raving about - maybe because I lost my taste buds and appetite with the way the OWNER treated us.

To cut the story short, we experienced BAD SERVICE, not from the wait staff but from the OWNER herself. Saying "we don't have space to accommodate you" then bringing out tables from the inside of the restaurant to outside dining space to a different group of around 12 people is so so not right. To call your customers "annoying" is so wrong and to top it off, blaming your customers for the chaos and not knowing which table food should go is pathetic.

My wife even approached a fellow diner and asked if we were bothering them because that was what the OWNER was blubbering about. The guy that my wife talked to was very apologetic to us. He was sorry for how we were treated and was even offering his beach house for us to use just to change our impression of Rotorua/NZ in general.

Never in my travels have I been treated like the way I experienced at Picnic Cafe in Rotorua even I have two kids. I'm don't want to bring it up, but it's just how our group felt. Never in my years in Australia have I have experienced the feeling of discrimination. I never thought I will experience it in NZ.

6  Thank TimoSage