SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Fitness centre
Aywon Motel(Rotorua)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Geyser facing room gives a spectacular view of Pohutu Geyser. Additional rate for the room is well worth it.
The rooms are mediocre and the lift did not work. As our room was on the third floor, it was an effort carting luggage up and down and hiking up at the end of the day. The breakfast was a facility but average.

Room Tip: Rooms on the highest floor give the best view of the Geyser.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

We appreciate your comments, Regards Greg

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Booked through AA Travel online. Driveway and car-park needs to be resealed. Reception uninviting upon arrival. Room door jam sticking and hard to open. En-suite sliding door squealed every time you used it and didn't seal shut. Spouting outside room viewing deck leaked in the rain. Ceiling tiles and wall paper sagging. No Air conditioning in room. Decor tired and dates back to 70s, 80s. Bathroom towels thin and had ragged ends. Plug in sink wouldn't seal. Cooked Breakfast overcooked and been sitting too long in bain-maries. Staff laughter and noise coming through meal from Kitchen staff. Restaurant and Bar not operating. Vegetation growing in gutters and spouting. Dated Hotel that needs a lot of time and money spent to refurbish it back to a good standard fitting its location. Try other Hotels in Rotorua first, then Motels before this Hotel.

Room Tip: Try another Hotel first
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Warren B
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I found a deal on Expedia of 65 NZD per room per night….

Was the price/quality good? I would say almost yes. Will I like to pay more for the room?.. DEFINETLY NOT.

These are the reasons…

As pretty much everyone says.. the hotel is old.

20 years ago it was probably a 3-4 star hotel.. now?.. 2 1/2 (if) . It is old and outdated but again.. for 65 bucks..old and outdated is not a big deal for me.

My room and bathroom were clean. Only 1 of the glasses showed some signs of previous usage….not a big deal for me as I always clean the glasses by myself.. no matter HOW many stars the hotel has (I used to work in hotels and I know very well how the system it works ).

My Telephone didn’t work and my TV only worked for 10 sec. You turned it on.. and 10 sec later it turned itself off. So? I gave up.

The hotel has a heated swimming pool and sauna. I didn’t use any of them so I can not comment about their quality.

Now… one of the good things (if not the only one) that the hotel can be proud of is the view. You have a magnificent view of the Pohutu geyser… very very nice.

Will I come back? For 65 bucks… yes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank SouCross
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We only stayed for one night and it was a Sunday in September so the hotel was not busy and we were given a room with a great view of the hot springs, this was the best thing about the room, we could have sat and looked out all day. The girls on the check in desk were nice and helpful, but the rooms really need updating as they are very old fashioned, the TV was tiny and the restaurant was closed for the winter.
It wasn't horrendous but I wouldn't really recommend it either.

Room Tip: Get a geyser view room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lis_clifford
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on FIVE different trips - however, we ONLY stay ONE night. The hotel is built on the edge of the beautiful Whakarewarewa geysers and mud pools and THAT is the reason to stay here. Get a room on the third or fourth floor (the end room is a suite and is a tiny bit bigger) and open your drapes to see the beautiful geysers. This stay started off not as pleasant as it should have been - they had NO ICE. My husband drove off to buy ice and in about 30 min they brought ice to us..... Except for this, the staff was more than helpful. They even made dinner reservations for us - two months before we arrived. The employees try to do the best they can with a property that is tired. We ate breakfast ONCE and did not do it again. The room is OLD and TIRED, but the view is the reason we stay. They tell us each time we visit that the city will not allow renovations to what was once a beautiful place. Our first stay here was in 92 and I think the carpet is the same... We hope the next time we arrive, we shall be greeted with new furniture and beds... Lucky for us, we head to HUKA Lodge the next day, each time. If you want a magnificent view, this is your hotel - for one night.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple