“realistic please”

Ranked #89 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Whangarei, New Zealand
“realistic please”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had a very good weekend stay, really enjoyed the views and the excellent staff who went out of their way to help us. Feel sorry for them putting up with flack caused by the owner's lack of upkeep, but be realistic people, you paid very little and get what you pay for. Who wants to spend all their time in their room watching tv anyway?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Greg W, Manager at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, 25 June 2014

We are currently starting an upgrade program, and we do hope that you see some amazing changes to the property, over time

The property is in a great location, and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay

Greg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Wonderful views and budget friendly price. Suited my needs for the night. Only had 4 TV channels and breakfast was only coffee and toast, however this was included in the price. Very friendly man at reception. Great parking for trucks

Room Tip: One with a view over the thermal pools
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

The Hotel does offer an amazing view of the Pohutu Geyser and mud pools, it is probably the best view in Rotorua.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I'm going to start with the only positive thing about this place: the staff were friendly but this doesn't save you from a bad review. The smell coming from the geyserland was so overwhelming that it makes me sick even now...I thought they would provide some sort of air filtration for the rooms but they do not, fair enough that isn't they fault but it isn't pleasant. The worst part was the filthiness of the room. The carpet was tattered and stained all over to the point we wore our shoes everywhere in the room. The bathroom had mouldy tiles and all the fixtures were old and well overdue for replacement (tried to be passed off as a bi-product of the geyserland). The linen and especially the doona felt dirty and made me itchy all over. At night I tried to stuff towels under the front and rear door jams just to stop the smell and insects from coming in. The price was a joke for the quality they provide. Even though we couldn't get a refund as stated in the paperwork we still tried to look for alternate accommodation but every other place was booked out in the area at the time.This place is an abomonation. I would never return here, not even if you paid me. I'm sorry for this bad review but this is THE worst place we've ever stayed in. If you see this place drive by with a smile knowing that you checked it out here first.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Not even if it's the last room available in Rotorua
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seleneenea
We are disappointed with your review.

The Hotel is located in an amazing position, the Hotel overlooks the Pohutu Geyser and mud pools, Rotorua is a thermal area, and there is a particular smell in Rotorua, that you will experience all over Rotorua, not just outside Hotel. I would suggest that with in an hour you get used to the smell.

Greg Wilson

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Tokoroa, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Well 5 star it ain't but nor is it priced to be. Handy to the geyser and the views on the upper floors are actually pretty good. Place was clean if a little rough around the edges, was pretty cold when I was there and found the room a bit chilly. Shower/etc was fine, cost us $80 a night for 3 people and figure it was worth that.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on the Hotel

We are currently running some great Winter deals, and these do offer great value

The Geyser View Rooms do offer an amazing view over the Pohutu Geyser and Mud pools

Great that you found your rooms clean, we have a great housekeeping team, and new pressed and fresh linen

We hope to see you again in the future

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 1 June 2014

There is a really cool view of the mud pool and the geysers right out your balcony ... and unfortunately, there is really nothing else good to write about. If the rooms were to upgrade with new carpet, new beds, new furniture, new bedding - this could have been a $200 per night room. Unfortunately, it is so dirty that I didn't want to take off my shoes - and that never happened. The continental breakfast is bare minimum. Thus, if you're booking because of the cool view of the geyser, don't pay more than 65 usd per night. I know it is nearly fall this time of the year but we were the only one the entire third floor. The hotel management should consider renovate rooms in the low season-it doesn't take much really.

Room Tip: we were on the third floor facing the geyser - a picture perfect view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

The view from the rooms is fantastic, and we are pleased to let you know that we are currently maintaining all the rooms, and then we are starting a full refurbishment

We look forward to seeing you again in the future

Whakatane, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here last year and would never return. Below is an email I sent in complaint about the hotel. I never received a reply to this email. This may be due to being unable to find a direct way to email the hotel and I had to send the email through they company's online 'Contact Us' option (or similar, it was a fair while ago I did this).

Good morning,

Last week I booked a room for Saturday 30th March in your Geyserland Hotel as a treat for my partner's birthday. I booked this through Agoda and paid the discounted rate of $149. The room I booked was a Junior Suite.

We checked in to the hotel at 2pm, the advertised check in time. At this time we were told that our room was not quite ready. However, after we had checked in the man at the desk sent us to our room to see if it was ready but told us we would have to wait for towels.

We entered the room we had been given to find that, while it was ready for occupancy (minus towels), it was not the type of room I had paid for - it was a studio room.

I returned to reception and asked to be put in the correct type of room. Eventually the man managed this.

However, we were not impressed with what we got for $149. The room had stains on the carpet and on the board where the fridge used to sit. The door that joined two rooms had loose hinges and could not be locked - we had to move the fridge in front of this to ensure it was not opened.

According to the room description on Agoda, our room should have had:
a mini bar
hair dryer
CD/DVD player
We could find none of these things.

Shortly after we had arrived, we left to go into town. On our way out (approx 3pm) I called into reception to ask that we had towels delivered to our room, as we would require them when we returned. The man at the desk said they would put some in our room while we were out.

On our return, at round 5pm, there were no towels. We called reception and they said they would deliver these to us. After some time the towels arrived. My partner answered the door and the girl who delivered them told him they had run out of big towels and were we happy with small towels. Presuming that she meant small bath towels instead of large spa towels, he said that was fine. However, when I inspected the towels I found that we had been given bath mats. I find it appalling that a hotel would even consider passing bath mats off as towels.

I called reception again and the girl told me they had run out of towels. I explained that I had paid money for the hotel room and I expected to be given bath towels. She said she would speak to the manager and see what could be done. At around 6pm a man delivered two bath towels to our room.

As we were obviously some of the first to check in at 2pm I am unsure how we had to wait until 6pm to be able to have a shower.

All in all both myself, and my partner, were highly disappointed both with the quality of accommodation and the service we received.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sian83
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Guest

I do apologise for the delay in deliverng towels to you over the weekend.

We do have an internal commercial laundry, unfortunately one of the washing machines broke down over the weekend and we were unable to source the part in Rotorua until the following Monday.

As a result instead on operating on the normal 3 machines, we were reduced to just one over the weekend, and I do appreciate it caused a substantial delay.

Of course the matter has now been resolved, but it certainly did cause a number of problems over the weekend.

We appreciate your comments and will work on this

Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I should have had a clue when I wasn't shown the room when I checked in. Spiders on the curtains in the bath, dilapidated furniture, a half inch gap under the door were just the start. The only reason we stayed at all was because we had already paid. The pressboard furniture was falling apart. The carpet is stained with heaven knows what. The curtains were torn, with tattered tiebacks holding them. The windows rattled with the wind. Oh, and the windows are covered with spider webs. The geyser was pretty. Oh, and we were told that we had the best room in the establishment because it overlooked the geyser. But really, the management should be ashamed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline F
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Hotel Geyserland, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback

We have raised all your concerns with the Management Team and we are working on resolving these issues

We do hope to see you in the future