“Very nice hotel room”

Sudima Hotel Lake Rotorua
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed overnight at the Sudima in Rotorua and it was very nice. We were in block 600 which is a short walk from reception.The room was tastefully decorated and very large,with 2 double beds so we could really stretch out. The fridge was empty which is really great as I get annoyed when they fill it up with crap they want to sell at exhorbiatant prices.One hotel told me it would cost me a fee to remove it all from the fridge so I just piled in a corner for the week I was there! Wonder if anybody ate the snacks I let lie around! The toiletries were really nice too and they provided a coffee plunger with complimentary plunger coffee. I was really impressed.
Not so impressed with the Buffet dinner at the restaurant in the hotel though.
We had vouchers for thier buffet dinner which cost us half price. We were really looking forward to it but the food choice was very minimal and the staff were very annoying.While the food that was there was tasty and very fresh, I was really dissappointed. If I had paid the full price of $45 I would have asked for a refund. They had one soup,one roast (pork) 3 meats and 4 vege including a whole pot of plain rice and another of steamed vegetables.The seafood selection was just shrimps and mussels, but at least there was no sign of anything surimi.
We would barely finish the last mouthful and the waitress would pounce on us & whisk away our plates, and when we were serving ourselves the lids for the hot dishes kept crashing down so the waitresses would come rushing up and hold them for us. I found it a rather intimidating experience, instead of a relaxing one.My husband was happy with the food, but I'd really looked forward to a top class buffet (a $45 value buffet) so was pretty unhappy about it.
Having said that- it didnt ruin my stay, as the lovely room made up for it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
SudimaHotelsNZ, General Manager at Sudima Hotel Lake Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

Dear Guest,
We are pleased that you enjoyed your accommodation with us. Thank you also for the detailed feedback in relation to your dinner experience, I apologise for the fact that this was not to your satisfaction, but do greatly appreciate you sharing this as it is invaluable in our efforts to ensure that we deliver a quality product and service to all our customers. Kind regards

Reviewed 6 August 2012

My wife and decided to have dinner at your Hotel (Buffet).The selection of food was minimal. We both decided on a drink, The waiter looked confused at my wife's order. We explained how to make it, as a single, as she was driving, don't know what she got but, not what we ordered. On paying the bill we found she was served a double, double whatever.The manager said that she was ok to drive (60mls of 40% alcohol). His reason for the drink not being as we expected, was that it tasted different in other countries. (Vodka/Kahlua/Coke) On contacting the manager of the hotel to express our concerns he responded by suporting his staff in their misguided belief that people do not know when the wool is being pulled over their eyes. The meal was not the greatest (minimal selection) As for the drink fiasco, my wife and I ran our own successful bar, with local licensing aurthority commendations. I think we know when we are being ripped off. We are locals here, how many tourist have they ripped off. WHERE IS THE HOST RESPONSIBILTY. SHAME ON YOU SUDIMA AND THE PEOPLE WHO RUN IT!

3  Thank Steve A

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to see that you have now listed details that were not made known in your original complaint to us, which was taken very seriously with a sincere and acknowledging reply forwarded to you. We do not agree with your views in regards to misleading our customers but respect that everyone is entitled to an opinion, however incorrect that may be. Thank you

Reviewed 5 August 2012

I arrived at the hotel late in the evening and I did quite quickly the check in.
The hotel is quite large and my room could be reached through a corridor which passed one or two hotel buildings.
In the hotel there were several facilities and as it is common in Rotorua some termal baths.
The room was quite confortable and very spacious with also a fridge very useful considering the high temperature.
The front desk people were very attentive and happy to answer my questions concerning how to reach the main attractions in Rotorua.
As Rotorua is a quite interesting city it would have been better to stay at the hotel two nights instead on just one.
Finally, I can also add that the price I paid was really cheap considering the quality of the accomodation.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Stayed 1 night. The pictures look like you would be getting value for this price point but the reality was a grotty bathroom, ripped curtains a shower that ran cold after 5 min and very noisy. It was also unbearably hot as the heater must have been left on all day at full capacity. Despite turning it off as soon as we arrived mid afternoon we still had to sleep with the balcony door wide open even in the middle of winter!

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We used the hotel for a conference for around a dozen people. It looked after all our needs really well, was well placed and great value. We would recomend it highly should anyone need a one-stop shop. It allowed us to simply get on with the business at hand.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Visiting my niece in Auckland, she deceided to spend 2 nights in Rotorua. Long time before my arrival, she booked this hotel and I must admit she made the right decision. Though the hotel is right on the lake shore, which is a very nice location, it is very close to the town center, 15 minutes very easy walking. Breakfast was very satisfying with a very large selection of food. This is the time to mention the efficiency of the dinning room staff who managed to keep showing each guest to the table without any delay. To my taste, though my room was very clean and well kept, it was somehow small and not very spacious. The bathroom size was quite satisfying. The only thing that I didn' t like is the location of the indoor pool: there is no inside passage to and from the pool so after swimming in warm water, one must re enter the hotel through the open air which sometime can be cold.
All in all: Highly recommended hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the front section of the hotel which has a marvelous view of the lake.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My company booked accommodation for me here for one night. I found the staff pleasant and helpful, and the room itself was comfortable and warm, but the overall feel of the place from my perspective was not great. The layout is odd, and the hotel seems to lack an integrated feel. I had to walk a considerable distance from the lobby, including a short distance outside, to get to my room. They handed out a map, which suggests that some guests get lost.
From the outside, the accommodation blocks reminded me more of student hostels than a top hotel. I gained the impression that their main customers are large group bookings from bus tour operators, and they seem well set up to provide separate dining and entertainment for large groups in dedicated rooms.
There was only one other person apart from me having dinner in the main dining room, and this felt rather odd. Each time a staff member walked past me, I could feel the dining room floor shake. However, the meal was good, and they also had a reasonable wine selection by the glass.
I have stayed at other hotels in Rotorua in the past, and would rate them significantly higher. However, the negotiated company rate was quite reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business