“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Lancashire
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

This hotel is located some way from the town centre and even further from the lake front, so if you don't have a car expect a 30 minute walk.

The hotel seems to be in need of refurbishment. The lift was very rickety and failed to work on one occasion.......the stairs felt a safer option. The door to the room had dropped on its hinges and needed to be lifted to open the door.

Dinner was awful. Few alternatives without travelling into town.

There must be better places to stay in Rotorua.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Thank you for your review. Unfortunately we have had a few problems with our left but our provider has done regular maintenance checks on it and I can assure you it is very safe to use. I was not aware there was a maintenance issue with your door. Not sure if you contacted recpetion but this is always the best policy as we wouold have it fixed in a timely manner. Thank you again and I hope we can welcome you back to the Copthorne Hotel Rotorua.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Thai first
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

Standard room with no air-conditioner was sauna in summer. Fridge was not cold. They change another one but it was not working again. My kids said garden and hall way looks like old hospital. It's cheap but not 4 stars hotel room which I was expected. Breakfast was OK. If I know renovation are and non renovation are so different, I never book old standard room.

Room Tip: renovation rooms with air-con in Summer
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Thank you kindly for your review. We are planning our 3rd stage of refurnishment in our standard rooms in the very near future. Unfortunately our satndard rooms do not have air conditioning but we do have ceiling fans and extra portable fans available on request. We have done some extensive work on our interior corridors as our maintenance department are progressing through and having our corridors painted on a regular basis. If you plan to visit us again try out our superior rooms. They are well maintained with air conditioning. Thank you again for your review.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

I booked two relatives from the UK into this hotel who were disgusted to find dirty sheets on their bed. The room was also very dated - not a good experience and I was surprised this hotel was so lax in their housekeeping

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Val S
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Thank you kindly for bringing this to my attention. I will be addressing these concerns to the Housekeeping department as a lax in standards is unacceptable and I do offer my sincere apologize for the service your guests received. Please be assured I do take this very seriously as we do have procedures in place to ensure standards are not compromised and I am very dissappointed to hear we did not deliver. Thank you again for your review it has been very informative.

Kind Regards
Theresa Mutlow

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Vancouver Island, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Two nights here and it was pleasant. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Beds large and mattresses firm. Thank you.
We only had breakfasts in the hotel. The selection was ok. Eggs ordered separately but served quickly.
Staff were a bit surly on the first morning and it was Christmas Eve. Reception staff very helpful.
What is it about charging through the roof for Wifi. Fortunately it was free in the public areas, but do you want to Skype or Facetime your families in an open area?

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 3 February 2013
Thank you Tony for your review. I was most pleased to read our cleanliness rated high with you as we have just put new procedures in place to ensure our service is of the best quality. our inhouse training has definately paid off. I know our internet charges have been mentioned by many international guests but this is a company pricing which recently has been made more affordable and a service we have no control over. With the changing environment and this being a service expectation I would hope it may be a service that is even more affordable in the not so distant future. Again thank you for your feedback.
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Awesome hotel and the staff are pretty awesome. Stayed over Raggaz with a group of us and big ups to everyone we came across. Theresa the Manager that I rang to see about the room gave me options to suit our budget which you dont find many places that would do that, she had a wicked sense of humour and just made the journey for the weekend that much easier. Pat in the Restaurant is the man at breakfast today, definately knows how to make you feel like whanau. The whaea's in Housekeeping do a mean job and oops sorry if we made a mess. I will definately be back for raggaz next year so expect a call. Copthorne Hotel and crew rock it. Raggaz was off the hook.

Room Tip: Pay for the type of rooms you want do not expect a palace if you want to pay peanuts. Pay good money...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you behalf of Copthorne Hotel Team SteveP for your wonderful feedback. Your comments were the highlight of our day and I can assure you, were well received. It is pleasing to hear we catered and delivered the service you mentioned as we are continously striving towards delivering the best there is to offer and in your case we succeeded. I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank you and please do not hesitate to contact me for Raggamuffin next year.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

We held our wedding here and found it to be a wonderful experience we we're trying to keep the wedding as low budget as possible and the staff at the Copthorne especially Theresa were more than happy to help us work within our budget in terms of accommodation for our guests, room hire and food even providing bits and pieces for us to use during the setup and decorations with their help our wedding was made a very stress free experience and more time for us to enjoy ourselves the room myself and my Wife stayed in was wonderful and we've had excellent feedback from our guests about their rooms too Top Marks!!!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Lilly for your review. It was a pleasure to help cater to all your needs as it was a very joyous occasion and one we at the Copthorne Hotel Rotorua take great pride in catering to. On a personal note helping you mould your wedding reception was an easy task and it was a pleasure dealing with you through the journey. I know the team here at the Copthorne Hotel Rotorua enjoyed hosting your reception and your feedback will be well received by all. Thank you again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Stayed one night only. The room was large and clean. Bar staff seemed a bit harassed at having a large party to serve and got some of the orders muddled. It is situated a little way out of the main centre which is OK if you don't mind the walk. Once again Wifi was expensive in this day and age perhaps Copthorne need to address this matter.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Diane for your review. I was pleased to hear our facilities made your stay comfortable. I was sorry to hear the bar staff seemed under pressure I can assure you this will be addressed with the deaprtment head as a consideration in future. I do hope to welcome you back to the Copthorne on your next visit to Rotorua.