“Good enough, but a bit tired”

Copthorne Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #86 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Bungendore, Australia
“Good enough, but a bit tired”
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The hotel is close by other hotels and restaurants; we think it was a few km from the actual centre of Rotorua, judging by the satnav. But places seemed readily accessible. We arrived in the evening and chose to stay on site, doing our sightseeing the next day.

All the staff were friendly; a typical characteristic of NZ, we discovered. Many of the fellow guests were on tours from Asian countries, apparently it's heading towards the end of the season for such trips.

The dinner was good; a typical hotel restaurant but not a destination in itself. Breakfast was a full breakfast buffet; ordinary but sufficient food.

The room was large, though some of the space was taken up with two unnecessary single beds; a legacy of catering for so many tour groups, we suspect. The bed was far too soft, though. We're fine with a smaller bed, but not when we can't help rolling together.

We tried the pool. Not as warm as we had been anticipating. Just our expectations, though.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you kindly for your review. Your comments have been invaluable as it is a good way for our hotel to improve the facilities and the service we offer. I was happy to hear our customer service rated well with you. We are planning a refurbishment later this year which will improve some of the areas you commented on. Again thank you for your review it has been most helpful.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This hotel is conventiently located on the "main strip" of the city, a quick drive to many restaurants and markets.
It's heated pool looked inviting though I had no time to use it. The staff was cordial and helpful.
I loved the Maori statue out front!
And as a bonus...free parking!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter though a bit of a walk from the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to read that we catered to your needs. We do pride ourselves on our customer service and your review has assured me we have met your needs. Thank you again, we at the Copthrone Hotel Rotorua welcome you back in the near future.

auckland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Had a wonderful overnight stay at the hotel, love the friendly staff, clean room and wonderful buffet food in the resturant. Found Angela at reception very helpful and friendly. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: book a superior room as has air conditioning and if on second floor up nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you Sarah for your review. I was pleased to read we delivered great service and I will be rewarding Angela for her delivery as our customer servcie is high on our priority list. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future should you wish to stay again. I am sure with our mulitple promotional deals we have available we would be able to cater to your needs. Thank you again for your feedback.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stopped at for 2 nights in March 2013 in a twin room.

Summary
A hotel with either a modern and new feel or a an old and tired feel depending on which part of the hotel your room is, but is some distance from the Rotorua town centre.

This review is based on my stay in room 122 which is on the ground floor.

The rooms amenities include: 2x double beds, Sky TV, dressing table, coffee table, 2x chairs, 1/2 bath with overhead shower, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities with kettle, mugs, cups, wine glasses, iron and board, hair dryer, ceiling fan, in room safe.

Hotel amenities include:- Restaurant, currency exchange, guest laundry (Washer $2, Dryer $2),
bar, lounge, gym, spa pool, swimming pool, mountain bike hire, free car parking, internet kiosk.

Located on the main street (Fenton St) in Rotorua, but it is a good 20-30 minute walk into town, it is located close to the geothermal area.

The Copthorne Hotel has recently had a facelift internally in the public areas & is clean and modern. The swimming pool is supposedly heated to 29c, but it was too cold for me to use. Free 20 minutes wifi per day is available in the lobby.

My room (122) was part of the original building therefore showing it's age. Located next to the self serve laundry room. The room had been given a part facelift. You can tell the furniture has been recently replaced, new ceiling fans & TV etc. The carpets were frayed and the doors are old but perfectly operational. The bed has the old fashioned blanket/sheet/bedspread combo (which I detest).The bathroom has had new floor tiles, toilet & sink, but you can tell the bath has been there since the 70's. The shower is over the bath, I'm 6 foot 5 and had to bend my knees to get my head under the shower head. As room 122 is on the ground floor the room opens out to a nice large piece of greenery and would be ideal for children to play on. However the room was clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and is the standard fare, bacon, sausages, hash browns, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms in a cream sauce, selection of breads/toast, cereals, pastries, tea, coffee and fruit juice, Asian style buffet breakfast also available. The breakfast was the least enjoyable of all the Copthorne hotel's I stopped in in New Zealand.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you kindly for your review. Your comments are invaluable and we appreciate any form of feedback our guests submit. I have passed your feedback onto all Heads of Departments to discuss with their teams. Thank you again and I do hope we can host you in the future.If you would like to contact me directly I would be more then happy to look after your requirements.

Waikanae
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently and would not stay there again. We had a lot of luggage having been there for a conference. Our room was on the first floor. When we were ready to leave we found the only lift was out of order, the only luggage trolley was not to be found. the room itself was very tatty. The built in hairdryer in the bathroom was missing the hairdryer part. I was advised that there would be one somewhere in a drawer - I found it but there are no electric plugs near any mirror. If you want to do some work on a laptop - you need an extension lead as there is no electric plug near the desk which cannot be moved. I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shona J
Thank you Shona for your review. Your feedback has been taken on board as any feedback from our guests is a tool we appreciate and aim to correct where possible. I was unsure what room you were in during your stay as I cannot find your name in our system. Luggage trolleys are normally kept either at reception or in an alcove by entry one of our hotel and I can assure you had the reception staff been alerted they would have had one delivered to you. At present we have had some technical issues with our lift but in late Septemebr early October we plan to have a new lift installed. I do understand some of our standard rooms need refurbishing which is planned for later this year. I thank you for your comments as they are an excellent tool to enhance our services further.

Theresa Mutlow

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Regina, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The customer service here was great. Udy was such great help if you needed anything. I found them to be friendly and very accommodating.

The drinks were delicious. I recommend getting a drink from this hotel!

Although the hotel was older, it was fairly clean. Our room was upgraded to a better room.

I felt safe in this hotel as the area was very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Than you Lis for your review. Your comments were well received by all the staff. Our customer feedback is a great way to measure our customer service and standards and I am happy to read we have met your needs. The team at the Copthorne Hotel welcome you in the future.

Kind Regards
Katikati, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 March 2013

When you arrive it looks great. Then we were told to go in the lift to second floor and follow the numbers of the rooms, well after a very long walk with all our luggage we got to our room. It was what we expected for the money. There was stains on the ceiling, walls and on the carpet, very unclean. When we realized that there was smoking rooms we was on to the receptionist and she advised that the porter will turn up with an ashtray at 3pm, well we are still waiting. Sitting on our balcony that's when we noticed that the flash building you see at the front is for top dollar accommodation and the rest is tucked away at the back and really needs renovating. We was booked on the Lakeland Queen for dinner but they cancelled so I made a local call to them and the Copthorne charged me $2.20 for a local call which costs them nothing. "I was highly disgusted" We won't be staying there again. The only good thing my Husband liked was it had a big T.V. in our room but I did notice that all rooms don't have big T.V.'s

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you kindly for your review. Your comments have been passed onto Heads of departments to address issues that can me remedied on a daily basis ie the cleaning and the customer requests. I did read that you not all of our existing 110 rooms rooms do not have big screen Tv's. I can assure you all of the 110 hotel rooms do indeed have 32inch TV's as this was part of our major upgrade. Our hotel is presently undertaking further upgrades in parts of the hotel and our standard rooms will be given a light refurnbishment in the not so distant future. I thank you again as any form of feedback is a great tool for our team to embrace and thrive towards to ensure we are offering the type of service our guests expect.

Kind Regards