“Reasonably priced”

Ranked #85 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Reasonably priced”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed as a family and breakfast was included. Although slightly tired there's evidence of the improvements being made to the hotel. Good facilities available such as pool, spa & sauna. Plenty of parking and the it was not too far to drive to the centre of town. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was buffet and good selection. So we were happy with our stay and the price was good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for your review. I was pleased you saw the improvements we are making to our hotel. From a practical point of view we are doing section of the hotel over periods of time. I was also pleased to read our customer service was of a high quality as it is a service we pride ourselves on. We at the Copthorne Hotel in Rotorua welcome you back in the near future. Thank you again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Thai first
NSW
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Arrived and found our room was a long way from everything and very dated! Went to hang up clothes and found only 2 coat-hangers so asked for more and got 1 extra. Asked for more again (felt like Oliver holding his bowl up and saying "please sir can I have more") and had to explain why before the Manager would send some over but eventually got another 2. No air-conditioning but told they would send a fan to compensate. My wife bought two items from the vending machine only to discover they were out of date. A friend had the same experience with out of date food in the machine. When I advised the Duty Manager that they were selling out of date food at the hotel she replied that it was not her problem as it came from a vending machine not the kitchen BUT to her credit she said she would tell the vending machine operator the next time she saw him. Later sent an email to head office and they seemed interested about what happened and apologised. There are plenty of better quality AND lower priced hotels in the same area.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the new part of the hotel if you must stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Newcastlensw
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for your review. Your feedback has been duly noted and the issues you raised have been dealt with directly to heads of departments. The vending maching operator has in place a rotational system so his merchandise is kept within expiry timeframes and this will alleviate any old stock being on sale. Thank you for your feedback it is appreciated.

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Bungendore, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2013

The hotel is close by other hotels and restaurants; we think it was a few km from the actual centre of Rotorua, judging by the satnav. But places seemed readily accessible. We arrived in the evening and chose to stay on site, doing our sightseeing the next day.

All the staff were friendly; a typical characteristic of NZ, we discovered. Many of the fellow guests were on tours from Asian countries, apparently it's heading towards the end of the season for such trips.

The dinner was good; a typical hotel restaurant but not a destination in itself. Breakfast was a full breakfast buffet; ordinary but sufficient food.

The room was large, though some of the space was taken up with two unnecessary single beds; a legacy of catering for so many tour groups, we suspect. The bed was far too soft, though. We're fine with a smaller bed, but not when we can't help rolling together.

We tried the pool. Not as warm as we had been anticipating. Just our expectations, though.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you kindly for your review. Your comments have been invaluable as it is a good way for our hotel to improve the facilities and the service we offer. I was happy to hear our customer service rated well with you. We are planning a refurbishment later this year which will improve some of the areas you commented on. Again thank you for your review it has been most helpful.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This hotel is conventiently located on the "main strip" of the city, a quick drive to many restaurants and markets.
It's heated pool looked inviting though I had no time to use it. The staff was cordial and helpful.
I loved the Maori statue out front!
And as a bonus...free parking!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter though a bit of a walk from the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to read that we catered to your needs. We do pride ourselves on our customer service and your review has assured me we have met your needs. Thank you again, we at the Copthrone Hotel Rotorua welcome you back in the near future.

auckland
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Had a wonderful overnight stay at the hotel, love the friendly staff, clean room and wonderful buffet food in the resturant. Found Angela at reception very helpful and friendly. I highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: book a superior room as has air conditioning and if on second floor up nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you Sarah for your review. I was pleased to read we delivered great service and I will be rewarding Angela for her delivery as our customer servcie is high on our priority list. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future should you wish to stay again. I am sure with our mulitple promotional deals we have available we would be able to cater to your needs. Thank you again for your feedback.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I stopped at for 2 nights in March 2013 in a twin room.

Summary
A hotel with either a modern and new feel or a an old and tired feel depending on which part of the hotel your room is, but is some distance from the Rotorua town centre.

This review is based on my stay in room 122 which is on the ground floor.

The rooms amenities include: 2x double beds, Sky TV, dressing table, coffee table, 2x chairs, 1/2 bath with overhead shower, fridge, tea and coffee making facilities with kettle, mugs, cups, wine glasses, iron and board, hair dryer, ceiling fan, in room safe.

Hotel amenities include:- Restaurant, currency exchange, guest laundry (Washer $2, Dryer $2),
bar, lounge, gym, spa pool, swimming pool, mountain bike hire, free car parking, internet kiosk.

Located on the main street (Fenton St) in Rotorua, but it is a good 20-30 minute walk into town, it is located close to the geothermal area.

The Copthorne Hotel has recently had a facelift internally in the public areas & is clean and modern. The swimming pool is supposedly heated to 29c, but it was too cold for me to use. Free 20 minutes wifi per day is available in the lobby.

My room (122) was part of the original building therefore showing it's age. Located next to the self serve laundry room. The room had been given a part facelift. You can tell the furniture has been recently replaced, new ceiling fans & TV etc. The carpets were frayed and the doors are old but perfectly operational. The bed has the old fashioned blanket/sheet/bedspread combo (which I detest).The bathroom has had new floor tiles, toilet & sink, but you can tell the bath has been there since the 70's. The shower is over the bath, I'm 6 foot 5 and had to bend my knees to get my head under the shower head. As room 122 is on the ground floor the room opens out to a nice large piece of greenery and would be ideal for children to play on. However the room was clean and comfortable.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and is the standard fare, bacon, sausages, hash browns, tomatoes, beans, mushrooms in a cream sauce, selection of breads/toast, cereals, pastries, tea, coffee and fruit juice, Asian style buffet breakfast also available. The breakfast was the least enjoyable of all the Copthorne hotel's I stopped in in New Zealand.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you kindly for your review. Your comments are invaluable and we appreciate any form of feedback our guests submit. I have passed your feedback onto all Heads of Departments to discuss with their teams. Thank you again and I do hope we can host you in the future.If you would like to contact me directly I would be more then happy to look after your requirements.

Waikanae
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently and would not stay there again. We had a lot of luggage having been there for a conference. Our room was on the first floor. When we were ready to leave we found the only lift was out of order, the only luggage trolley was not to be found. the room itself was very tatty. The built in hairdryer in the bathroom was missing the hairdryer part. I was advised that there would be one somewhere in a drawer - I found it but there are no electric plugs near any mirror. If you want to do some work on a laptop - you need an extension lead as there is no electric plug near the desk which cannot be moved. I would not recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Shona J
Thank you Shona for your review. Your feedback has been taken on board as any feedback from our guests is a tool we appreciate and aim to correct where possible. I was unsure what room you were in during your stay as I cannot find your name in our system. Luggage trolleys are normally kept either at reception or in an alcove by entry one of our hotel and I can assure you had the reception staff been alerted they would have had one delivered to you. At present we have had some technical issues with our lift but in late Septemebr early October we plan to have a new lift installed. I do understand some of our standard rooms need refurbishing which is planned for later this year. I thank you for your comments as they are an excellent tool to enhance our services further.