“Average budget hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Bendigo, Australia
“Average budget hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

The common areas of this hotel such as the bar, lobby, restaurant and pool were all renovated and really very nice. The staff were friendly upon check in and check out and the bar staff were great too. We paid a very cheap rate so didn't expect too much but the non renovated rooms were really rather below average. The basics were okay - good bed, tv and shower, the bathrooms had been renovated. However, the balconies were pretty dodgy and felt unsafe, rooms very dated and there were a couple of questionable power points. My room was very cold and there seemed to be no individual room heating control however I did find a small blow heater in the cupboard and used that which got the room warm enough. The bath is quite high and my mother who has had a knee replacement had a bit of difficulty getting in and out of the shower but at least they do supply non slip bath mats which is helpful. The standard of cleaning wasn't great, on arrival, one of the beds in my room had no bed spread on it and there was hair in the bath and a kids head band under one of the beds. I can't say anything about the renovated rooms but from what I could see they looked pretty nice. Over all, this place seems to be in the process of being renovated and once it's completed it will be a really great hotel. For a budget stay it was alright, rooms pretty average but the rest of the facilities were very good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Thank you kindly for your review. We always welcome feedback from our guests as it is a great way for our team to measure our service practices. I was pleased to hear you did recognise the refurbishment that has and will continue to happen throughout the hotel. We have worked very hard to upgrade certain parts of the complex and we are always being forward to complete areas that have not had as much attention in the past. I have addressed the cleaning issues you encountered with the Housekeeper as they do have systems in place to ensure a high standard is delivered. Should you wish to look at staying in the future please contact me directly I will ensure we make your stay memorable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Thai first
Wellington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We booked a one night stay at the last minute so had no time to check the reviews on here and I wish we had as I would have requested one of the newer rooms if possible. We requested a room with 1 double bed and 2 single beds. I love it when hotels have this option as we usually travel with our 2 children and it is great when they don't have to share a bed. For some bizarre reason the room layout had one of the single beds in the middle of the room and the double bed pushed up against the wall. The bed could not be moved so that meant the person sleeping by the wall had to either climb over their partner or crawl to the end of the bed. The bed itself was incredibly soft and leaning to one side so this made the whole activity even more "fun". The bathroom was not up to standard. The hand basin was badly cracked and the wooden trims were all dusty. Overall cleaning standards in our room were not great with the worst being a large stain on the wall above the middle bed. The private spa pools also left a lot to be desired. The room was small and not in good condition and only one of the private spa pools had a number on the door so we had no idea which pool was ours. Overall it was not a great stay and I was glad we were only staying one night. I have contacted the management and have been advised that they are about to start some refurbishments but alas that is too late for my family. Maybe the newer rooms are worth the money but I feel the older rooms are not and at the very least should be a lot cleaner.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you kindly for your review. All your concerns have been raised with department heads to alert them to the various issues you encountered during your stay. I can assure you your concerns have been taken very seriously and I have full assurance from department heads that practices have been put in place to ensure we are delivering a standard of service that we pride ourselves on. Should you wish to stay again in the future please do not hesittate to contact me directly.

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had an enjoyable stay in Rotorua and found the rooms new, clean and attractive. It was located close to all the tourist attractions and walking distance from the central business area. The front desk service was excellent and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you kindly for your review. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and that we catered to your needs. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am happy to know we delivered this from staff you had contact with. We welcome you back in the near future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Room was very humid and we found it hard to breath. Other wise the staff were very friendly, welcoming and went out of their way to help. We're were very impressed with "Bist" the bar tender who was chatty and recommended lots of great beverages, encouraging us to buy more than we'd planned. Very highly rated give him a pay rise :)

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you kindly for your excellent review. I was pleased to read our customer servcie superceeded as we always aim to deliver a good level of service. I wil pass your comments onto Mr Bist, I know he will be very happy and appreciate the feedback. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.
Auckland, NZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed at the Copthorne for a workshop with 50 people that was held in the Redwood Room. The conference room was well set up and assistance was on hand at all times. The hotel itself is not new, and this shows in some areas of the hotel, but the rooms are modern and well-appointed, and most importantly clean and well-maintained. The restaurant food is typical hotel fare, and not expensive by hotel standards. Reception, restaurant and bar service was all exemplary. Overall, a very pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the main block might provide less traffic noise from the main road, but I did n...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and the venue catered to your needs. It is always good to read the service was of a standard we pride ourselves on. I will pass your review onto staff, I know they will receive the feedback with appreciation. Please do not hesitate to introduce yourself next time you stay with out hotel, it would be nioce to meet you personally,
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

did a booking on Wotif at a very good rate so was not expecting what i got
When i checked in I was advised by the gentlemen that they had upgraded me to a superior room, which was surprising in that i was only in for 1 night
the Room 110 was on the ground floor and opened onto the front of the hotel
The room was well presented, well heated and very comfortable , and all furnishings of a good standard
The bathroom was of a good size and the housekeeping standards throughout were very high
Didnt get any traffic noise from the road althought i did have to tell a group of women who congregated outside my room at 11pm and made a lot of noise to move on
That was not the fault of the hotel just rather some ignorant women who didnt respect other people needs
Would i return yes i would in light of how i was treated , cant comment on other hotel facilities as i didnt use them , due to an early departure

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank johntoddl
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Thank you kindly for your review. We do try to upgrade guest where possible and I was pleased to read you were pleased with the room you received and the standard of service we delivered. We are always thriving towards delievering a memorable stay to our guests. The team at the Copthorne welcome you back in the near future.
Murrieta, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013 via mobile

To start, this is closer to a 3 1/2 star rating; however, I have no significant complaints. Rooms are clean, staff are friendly and helpful, and the pool is heated (naturally??) in the high 80s, low 90s. It was equal to a high end Days Inn. My guess is that the previous reviewers expected more prior to arrival.

positives:
Great Staff
Private Spas!
Liquor bottle store a block away.
Located in the middle of everything

Cons:
Nothing special. Doesnt stand out.

Conclusion: I would stay here again for the right price.

Stayed June 2013
Thank you kindly for your review. I am happy to see we rated well and that we delivered a good standard of service during your stay. Your comments have been well received and we hope to host you in the near future.