“This place is really the best”

Copthorne Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #86 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Start at reception. Friendly, efficient. Move to the rooms, comfortable,spacious. Add the restaurant, wonderful food at affordable prices. Move on to the pool, warm, perhaps even medium hot, towels no problem, in fact nothing a problem at this hotel. It was like being at home, but with people to attend you at every turn. We loved it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you kindly for your positive feedback. We are thrilled to hear we delivered a great level of service and that your needs were well cared for. We have over that last 2 years been refurbishing where we can and have some major upgrades coming up mid next year which should see our facilities improve immensely. Your comments have been greatly received by all the staff here at the Copthorne Hotel Rotorua. We welcome your next stay with us. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Rotorua

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed three nights Thursday to Saturday.
Requested and paid for a 'superior' room at front of hotel as suggested by Trip Advisor and I considered the room to be 'standard' not of a superior quality. It had a two seater couch, a coffee table and chair that they may have considered made it of a higher standard.While refurbished, I would call it a 'flash up' rather than a proper 'do up' but reasonably well appointed with usual amenities.
Door and windows not sound proofed. External and adjoining doors need replacing with more solid sound proof ones and windows should be double glazed. Tourist Groups arriving and going each night and morning make a lot of noise.
Could hear people talking in room next door and lots of loud talking / shouting in the corridors in the evening and from about 5.00am.
Staff very pleasant and good to deal with. Internet costly with only small amount free in the lobby.
Is located out of town / shopping area, quite a long walk to get there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Thank you for your review. Your comments have been noted for future forward planning.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

This would have been our 4th visit to this Hotel in the last couple of years and we always enjoy our stay but this time it was even nicer.They are in the process of refurbishing it and it is much improved.
We had a nice comfortable room and lovely meals. It is our preferred Hotel in Rotorua.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fay H
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Thank you kindly for your review. I was very pleased to read we delivered a great service and that you will continue to stay with our hotel. I was pleased to read you have notcied the upgrading we are doing with our facilities as it is always great to get some positive feedback as it proves we are having an impact on our customers. Your comments were well received by all staff. We do look forward to hosting ou again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

First time at the Copthorne & found it very suitable for an overnight business trip.My room was well appointed, the staff friendly & helpful.
I found 2 minor irritations that prevented me rating the hotel as very good -
* the cheap bacon served at the breakfast buffet was just that, cheap!
* the $4 surcharge for credit card payment is annoying (at any establishment) & should be built into the tariff. Presumably they don't because they need to have the tariff advertised at the most competitive rate.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John P

Thank you kindly for your review. I was please to read you enjoyed your stay and tha the customer service was well received. We do pride ourselves on our customer service. We have taken on board your comments about the bacon and the credit card charge. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

The common areas of this hotel such as the bar, lobby, restaurant and pool were all renovated and really very nice. The staff were friendly upon check in and check out and the bar staff were great too. We paid a very cheap rate so didn't expect too much but the non renovated rooms were really rather below average. The basics were okay - good bed, tv and shower, the bathrooms had been renovated. However, the balconies were pretty dodgy and felt unsafe, rooms very dated and there were a couple of questionable power points. My room was very cold and there seemed to be no individual room heating control however I did find a small blow heater in the cupboard and used that which got the room warm enough. The bath is quite high and my mother who has had a knee replacement had a bit of difficulty getting in and out of the shower but at least they do supply non slip bath mats which is helpful. The standard of cleaning wasn't great, on arrival, one of the beds in my room had no bed spread on it and there was hair in the bath and a kids head band under one of the beds. I can't say anything about the renovated rooms but from what I could see they looked pretty nice. Over all, this place seems to be in the process of being renovated and once it's completed it will be a really great hotel. For a budget stay it was alright, rooms pretty average but the rest of the facilities were very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you kindly for your review. We always welcome feedback from our guests as it is a great way for our team to measure our service practices. I was pleased to hear you did recognise the refurbishment that has and will continue to happen throughout the hotel. We have worked very hard to upgrade certain parts of the complex and we are always being forward to complete areas that have not had as much attention in the past. I have addressed the cleaning issues you encountered with the Housekeeper as they do have systems in place to ensure a high standard is delivered. Should you wish to look at staying in the future please contact me directly I will ensure we make your stay memorable.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We booked a one night stay at the last minute so had no time to check the reviews on here and I wish we had as I would have requested one of the newer rooms if possible. We requested a room with 1 double bed and 2 single beds. I love it when hotels have this option as we usually travel with our 2 children and it is great when they don't have to share a bed. For some bizarre reason the room layout had one of the single beds in the middle of the room and the double bed pushed up against the wall. The bed could not be moved so that meant the person sleeping by the wall had to either climb over their partner or crawl to the end of the bed. The bed itself was incredibly soft and leaning to one side so this made the whole activity even more "fun". The bathroom was not up to standard. The hand basin was badly cracked and the wooden trims were all dusty. Overall cleaning standards in our room were not great with the worst being a large stain on the wall above the middle bed. The private spa pools also left a lot to be desired. The room was small and not in good condition and only one of the private spa pools had a number on the door so we had no idea which pool was ours. Overall it was not a great stay and I was glad we were only staying one night. I have contacted the management and have been advised that they are about to start some refurbishments but alas that is too late for my family. Maybe the newer rooms are worth the money but I feel the older rooms are not and at the very least should be a lot cleaner.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

Thank you kindly for your review. All your concerns have been raised with department heads to alert them to the various issues you encountered during your stay. I can assure you your concerns have been taken very seriously and I have full assurance from department heads that practices have been put in place to ensure we are delivering a standard of service that we pride ourselves on. Should you wish to stay again in the future please do not hesittate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had an enjoyable stay in Rotorua and found the rooms new, clean and attractive. It was located close to all the tourist attractions and walking distance from the central business area. The front desk service was excellent and accommodating.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you kindly for your review. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and that we catered to your needs. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am happy to know we delivered this from staff you had contact with. We welcome you back in the near future.