“Family room - comfortable and good value”

Copthorne Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #83 of 91 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We stayed in Rotorua for 3 nts over New Years. We had been staying in self contained apartments during the rest of our travels and thought a hotel with buffet breakfast would be a nice change - especially considering 2 of the 3 nights we had planned evenings out for dinner anyway. The Room was great for families with a queen bed and 2 x single beds. Not much room between beds but no less than any other hotel room. Facilities were as you'd expect, with tea/coffee, small fridge, hair dryer. There were only 3 towels for the 4 of us when we arrived but the housekeeping staff were most happy to provide extras and always had a smile when they popped in to clean. The reception staff were efficient and helpful. The buffet breakfast did not disappoint with a great variety of cooked food, cereals, pastries, fruits etc. - a great way to fuel up for our daily trips around the fascinating city. Probably just a little too far out of the CBD for younger children to walk, but we had the car so wasn't a prob. About 1.5km to main CBD. Only disappointment is that the pool was a little chilly for us and we were looking forward to a hot spa on our last night - but we found they were in private locked rooms and you had to book and over this time we were advised they were all booked and we couldn't get in.

Room Tip: The ground floor courtyard side rooms were convenient as they had a "back door" direct acc...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thak you kindly for your review. I was pleased to read we provided a good level of service and that it made your holiday hassle free. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Never judge a book by its cover. Looks maybe deceiving!!!! Old rooms, old furniture ie Tv, HAIRDRYER that looked like it was from the 1800's century or something, paint fading, dodgey looking plates, spoons utensils.

Oh and Don't Even Get Me Started On There Gym!!!!

Has it even been cleaned ever????? Smelt so rank like crap. I have never been in a gym that has smelt that bad!!! Not to mention no air-con or fans.

Worst experience ever.

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your review. I have raised the cleanliness of the gym with our housekeeping team as this area gets serviced everyday and I do know we do have a huge volume of guests utilizing this facility. I would suggest depending on your time of using the gym there may have been many other guests before you as it is open from 7am right through to 10.30pm. We do know some of our rooms are dated and we are programming a refurb in the not so distant future. Thank you again for your constructive feedback, it is always a very welcoming tool.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I was very disappointed in this hotel. Rooms were very tired and in need of a renovation. Bathrooms were dirty. We Had visitors with us from Australia so after I had told them it was 4 stars we were very disappointed and a little embarrassed. I definitely think there needs to be a review on the standard of the hotel. Staff were very friendly. But no access to Internet from our room was disappointing aswel. Overall very disappointed and would not stay there again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I was very disappointed to read your concerns and I have raised this with heads of departments concerned. Our custome comments are a valuable tool for our hotel to take on board and ensure we deliver a memorable service. I do apologise for the lack of service you mentioned and pleae be assured this has been taken seriously. Thak you again for your comments.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Rooms are fine, nothing special. But there's no ability to control the heating in the room and it was incredibly hot! Had to sleep with the door open and had a poor nights sleep. Also very few channels on the TV. A budget hotel for sure. Much better options in Rotorua.

Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for your review. I am unsure the reason for the heat control but I do receommend a quick call to reception as I know they would have offered a solution to the heat problem or a possble upgrade to a airconditioned room on availability.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed here as this was the hotel included in my AAT Kings tour. I was immediately disappointed. Very tired, old hotel. My room was absolutely not up to standard. I can not believe this place is listed as 4 star. For what I paid for that tour I am incredibly disappointed in the standard of the hotel and my room. I will be speaking with my travel agent about this place.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Chris C

Thank you for your feedback. I do know parts of our hotel are aged and we do plan to start revamping areas of the hotel in late March early April. I regret to hear your stay was not up to your standard although we do try our very best to upgrade where possible. Your comments have been taken on board as a valuable tool to help us work towards regaining your faith in our product. Thank you again.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I stayed here on my own to attend a wedding at the hotel. The room was comfortable and possibly nicer than I expected. I had a small couch, coffee table and king bed and the bathroom had a nice big bath. Everything I needed was in the room, including ironing board and hair dryer. The service from all staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my stay here, although I have to say I didn't really use many of the hotel facilities and was out a lot of the time

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Your comments were well received by the staff and I am pleased we delivered a acceptable level of service during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Self and spouse stayed here 2 x nights on a discounted rate through BestHotels.com We were not displeased at all. Room was very tidy and clean, with armchairs, a table and much drawer space. All good.
Presumably the room had been redecorated and nicely recarpeted. Seems the painters overlooked the inside of the bathroom door.
If you stay in the room we had, don’t anticipate using the fridge for cold goods. Fridge is in a cupboard with, of course, a door, with ventilation through short and grossly inadequate open slots at the top of said cupboard. Heat created by the fridge is therefore retained within the cupboard so the fridge is fighting its own heat – and seriously fails to win. With temp set at lowest possible level nothing remains cool never mind cold. Simple also to put ‘stuff’ over the slots thereby cutting off all ventilation and enhancing the heat around the fridge. Not at all good. Removing the cupboard door would help.
Air con could not cope with the outside 26c heat of the day even though someone had previously set the room temp at .5. Really not good.
At check-in we were told we had been upgraded “free”. That word rang bells as we had been billed by BestHotels (an offshoot of Millennium/Copthorne) an optional sum (above the rate) for an upgrade, which I had taken as meaning this would cover an upgrade if one was available and would be a waste of money if there wasn’t. Telling the very helpful receptionist of this charge caused it to be deducted very promptly. More good.
Trouble with being told one is upgraded is nice but really often doesn’t happen, for one rarely, if ever, is able to see what one has been upgraded from – if there has been an upgrade at all. We are delighted to give the receptionist the benefit here for she was extremely helpful and wouldn’t tell an untruth.
Best job in the hotel has to be that of the barman. Over two days and evenings we saw no one using said bar or even seated therein . On one occasion we entered and service was prompt and good. On another occasion there was no person serving so we left.
Restaurant is very good with attentive and helpful staff and acceptable pricing. With NZ anticipating an increase in Asian tourists, I believe management should get sorted for these folk as all do not arrive in groups with a guide. While dining, we observed 4 Asians attempting to make sense of the English worded menu. Even with the studious help of the Asian waitress it took an extraordinary time for the 4 to ascertain what was what and to place orders.
Overall, a very good, and informative, stay. The hotel is unable to change its distance from town so it’s not worth mentioning that. There is a nearby dairy and a grog shop along side streets.

Room Tip: Unable to help here. The lift may be a worry though failed to fail during our stay. Don't expec...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Your comments have been taken on board and we do hope to host you again in the near future.