“Great value and excellent service”

Copthorne Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #82 of 91 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I got a deal on wotif and was going mainly for the hot pool, spa and sauna. Outdoor pool was a bit cool- it is winter but could have been a fraction warmer. Spa was being upgraded and was still clean and excellent. the room was clean and good value. when we checked in found out we had been upgraded to a superior room which was a nice surprise too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mindy1971
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you kindly for your positive review. Your comments have been well recieved by the team her at the Copthorne Hotel Rotorua. We do hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We thought we would dine in restaurant having a buffet meal - big mistake. Cost expensive $35 - started to have seafood, I had two mussels that we Absolutely horrid, really tiny and tasteless, found out later on that they were frozen mussels. I also had a bread roll that was stale!. Partners food just the same horrible. Partner complained to lady on reception who said we would have to pay for the tiny amount we had consumed - well that was never going to happen. We decided to forget buffet and have a roast meal at $18.50 to be honest this was no better, pork not tender, three half potatoes, tiny cauliflower floret and two pieces of undercooked carrot. Every bit if the meal was tasteless. They seriously need to address the food in this copthorne hotel certainly not up to the usual standard of this hotel chain. Rotorua caters for tourists and this hotel does not give a very good impression of our cuisine. We will never eat there again and recommend you dine elsewhere

Room Tip: Try restaurant opposite Rydges hotel think called Urbano much better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pauline g

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I do appreciate your comments and I have addressed your concerns with our Executive chef. We host buffets here twice a week and we get highly praised for our quality of food. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a rather typical, rather old, rabbit warren that caters economically for conferences and tourist bus tours. Not the place for a wedding anniversary or a special trip to Rotorua. The level of maintenance is adequate, but one can still find patches of carpet that are torn. Yet for what it is, the Copthorne does the job. The staff are friendly and helpful. The 'housemaids' were very friendly and hard working. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. The beds are comfortable. The TVs are a good size and the programme selection is satisfactory. I had buffet food. There was nothing 'fine' about this cuisine. But for conference delegates, like me, it worked. The main meals were carvery style, which means the meat is well cooked, the vegetables float in sauces (helps keep them warm), there is variety, including salad options, and plenty to eat. Desserts are a nice range of sugar foods with plenty of fruit options. Also a good steam pudding. The soups were excellent. But there seldom was any brown/wholemeal bread. For my partner the food was a problem. She prefers to have vegetarian meals. Well, she could have skipped the meat, but there were no other protein options. When she asked staff, they had no idea what she meant by protein and told her to have vegetables and salad. Work needs to be done on this aspect of the food. I thought breakfast choices were more than adequate. Morning and afternoon tea food was a bit heavy, but there was always a fruit option. Tea and coffee, however, was served in urns that we're not kept hot. The house bar is very nice; the attached pub (and TAB) (around the corner) is cosy. In summary, I have stayed here annually for several years. It does the job providing a large number of people with reasonable accommodation at an affordable price. For a wedding anniversary or a rom,antic Rotorua visit? Go elsewhere!!!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor room (which can be floor 2 in some areas) as rain on roof is very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MykieHamiltonL

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Your comments have been taken on board and discussed with all departments. Your response is appreciated.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Terrible hotel embarrassing that tourists experience this.
We stayed here for our wedding anniversary ,the room was very dated there was screaming in the hallway for at least an hour in the middle of the night there was no lift but what really upset us was the buffet breakfast the sausages,bacon,beans weren't even slightly warm told the staff they didn't care at all,there was an extra cost if you wanted a fried egg or omelette .
Very disappointed would not stay again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Richard W
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I do apologize for the level of service you recieved and the quality of the breakfast food. I have alerted your concerns with the department heads and have been assured the standards you described are not our normal service practice. I do appreciate your feedback as this is a way for our team to be able to deliver a service we are reknown for and get positive feedback on. I would be more then happy to discuss this further should you wish to contact me directly.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here 2 nights while visiting rotorua. The hotel is on main road 2 Kms from city centre. The bed was comfortable. There was shampoo shower gel tea coffee facilities, mini fridge, I did find long hairs on the furniture. Buffet breakfast was plentiful. The hotel has 20 minute free wifi in hotel lobby, otherwise it is $12.50 for 2 hrs. There is so much to see and do in rotorua.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback. I was pleased to read we made your stay comfortable. I do hope we are able to host you again with any future stays you may have in Rotorua. Rotorua certainly does have many attractions and unfortunately not enough time to take in all that it has to offer. Please do not hesittae to contact me directly.

Regards
Theresa

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Very quick check in. Hotel is so distance from town. $10 cab fare town to hotel. Two double beds, spacious room. Bathroom very good with fittings all in good condition. Recommend this hotel.
Gluten free food available.

Room Tip: I was warned not to stay in the old section but I could not find an old section
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your recent stay. I was pleased to see you were happy with our facilities. I do hope we have the pleasure of your company in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The sheets in our room had not been changed from the prior guest. There was some type of Vaseline or other grease on them and the pillow case was dirty. It was disgusting. We called Reception and someone came up at 10:00 p.m., agreed that the sheets had not been changed, and brought clean sheets.

Both sets of sheets were threadbare. The towels were frayed and unraveling. The blanket on the bed was tattered at the ends; any household would have thrown it away. I suspect that the Copthorne hotels buy discarded sheets, towels, and blankets from nice hotels and use them for a few more years.

They allow only 20 minutes of free wifi, and only in the lobby. There is also a MB limit, so if your computer automatically updates Windows or your anti-virus program, you may actually only get 6 minutes on the internet; that happened to me. Up and down the streets in Rotorua were other motels advertising that they had free internet; we had stayed at 6 other motels in New Zealand and all allowed unlimited or almost unlimited free internet in your room. The Copthorne hotels are just chintzy, and trying to nickel and dime their customers.

The hotel was full of tour groups. There were 6 buses in the parking lot. There is no reason for anyone to stay in this hotel unless you are with a tour group and are forced to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank XenophonAnabasis

Thank you kindly for your review. I was disappointed to hear of your experience as your concerns are not what we thrive to deliver to our guests. I would like to discuss this further if you would be so kind as to contact me directly.

Theresa Mutlow