“Wouldn't recommend it for a function”

Copthorne Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #83 of 91 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We attended a wedding here. First impressions when we walked into the room the couple were being married in were good. The room was set up nicely. The celebrant, I understand, works in the hotel. The wedding service was performed in a stumbling, stilted manner - I wondered if she'd ever done this before. I would have been extremely disappointed if it had been my wedding and I felt sorry for the couple.

The wedding breakfast and after function took place in the Redwood Room. Next time anyone invites me to attend an event in that room I will politely decline. All credit to the groom's aunty - she had decorated the room and it looked lovely. Look past that and you are in a dated, very cold venue. Apparently the heaters were on and you would expect it to warm up with all the bodies - but no. I did ask the waiting staff if there were doors to outside open somewhere but they said everything was shut. I was so cold I wanted to go home by 6.30pm. Drink hot coffee I thought! Nope - it was nothing more than warm flavoured water.

the other guests at our table left early because they were also cold. As my partner was involed with the band we had to stay until the end. I finally found myself a spot right under the speakers at the front and pretty much sat on the 'heater' for the rest of the night.

The room was booked until midnight. How rude of the staff to startbreaking down the tables and packing up around us by 10.30pm. By the time we got to midnight there were only about four tables left standing - the room had been stripped! Nothing makes you feel more unwelcome than staff who obviously can't wait for the evening to be over.

On the up side, the waiting staff were very nice and those I did talk to were very helpful.

I've been here for the buffet dinners before and have always enjoyed the meal and the restaurant. I will always recommend the Copthorne as somewhere to go for a reasonably priced, tasty smargasbord meal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I would like to address all your concerns. Our redwood centre has just been fully refurbished and we have hosted 7 weddings in that room in 2014. We did have all heating on in the room with the addition of several portable heaters as it was a very cold night and unfortunately the smokers in the room would often leave the doors opened when they left the room. The wedding was coordinated directly with the Bride and her planner and the ceremony was exactly as the party requested simple and short, to date no negative feedback has been given from the wedding party however there were many compliments from the planner and the Bride. I do know the Reception dinner was hosted in the Redwood centre but we did not host a breakfast in that room. Before staff started to clean up we were given permission to do so which allowed us to start breaking down the room as 70% of the guests had vacated the room and only 1 quarter of the room was in use. Thank you again for your feedback and I do offer my apologize the facilities were not up to your expectations however the bride was smitten with our facilities when we first hosted a sight inspection.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Spent a night at the Copthorne which was interesting. Check in was great, very efficient and quick. Our room was road-front corner, very quiet, and very clean and tidy although does need up-dating. We had a function to go to in the evening and on returning early morning found a lot of people around the entrance, even more in the foyer most had had a lot to drink, there had been a fight apparently, and that was not a good place to hinder. The lounge bar we saw was full of very inebriated people. We had noticed before we went out that there were a lot of family groups staying. Next morning, the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the building into heavy rain, rumour was that someone had been smoking in their room. Not at all impressed by this. However once we got back inside, and were able to finish dressing properly, we had the full breakfast and it was very good indeed. On the downside a lot of children had been in the pool and were walking around the hotel dripping water every where - could have been an accident if someone had slipped over. Would we return?, only a maybe at this stage.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank billJE72

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I do apologize we had to evacuate the hotel which left you feeling disgruntled however a fire alarm is a situation we have no control over. We do understand it does inconvenience our guests however the safety of our guests is top priority. It was a pleasure to read our facilities and food were satisfactory. Thank you again for your feedback it has been invaluable.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Haven't stayed but a number of visits for evening meal. Recent visit was same high standard and great for the kids who could help themselves. Reasonably priced. Very good service. Clean and good quality food.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Viv M

Thank you kindly for your review. Your feedback has been well recieved by the team here at the Copthorne Hotel Rotorua. It is always pleasing to hear our repeat business is receiving the standard of service and facilities we are reknown for. Thank you again and please enquire about our new loyalty card we now have in place as it does offer discounts and specials.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I got a deal on wotif and was going mainly for the hot pool, spa and sauna. Outdoor pool was a bit cool- it is winter but could have been a fraction warmer. Spa was being upgraded and was still clean and excellent. the room was clean and good value. when we checked in found out we had been upgraded to a superior room which was a nice surprise too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mindy1971

Thank you kindly for your positive review. Your comments have been well recieved by the team her at the Copthorne Hotel Rotorua. We do hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We thought we would dine in restaurant having a buffet meal - big mistake. Cost expensive $35 - started to have seafood, I had two mussels that we Absolutely horrid, really tiny and tasteless, found out later on that they were frozen mussels. I also had a bread roll that was stale!. Partners food just the same horrible. Partner complained to lady on reception who said we would have to pay for the tiny amount we had consumed - well that was never going to happen. We decided to forget buffet and have a roast meal at $18.50 to be honest this was no better, pork not tender, three half potatoes, tiny cauliflower floret and two pieces of undercooked carrot. Every bit if the meal was tasteless. They seriously need to address the food in this copthorne hotel certainly not up to the usual standard of this hotel chain. Rotorua caters for tourists and this hotel does not give a very good impression of our cuisine. We will never eat there again and recommend you dine elsewhere

Room Tip: Try restaurant opposite Rydges hotel think called Urbano much better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank pauline g

Thank you kindly for your feedback. I do appreciate your comments and I have addressed your concerns with our Executive chef. We host buffets here twice a week and we get highly praised for our quality of food. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a rather typical, rather old, rabbit warren that caters economically for conferences and tourist bus tours. Not the place for a wedding anniversary or a special trip to Rotorua. The level of maintenance is adequate, but one can still find patches of carpet that are torn. Yet for what it is, the Copthorne does the job. The staff are friendly and helpful. The 'housemaids' were very friendly and hard working. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. The beds are comfortable. The TVs are a good size and the programme selection is satisfactory. I had buffet food. There was nothing 'fine' about this cuisine. But for conference delegates, like me, it worked. The main meals were carvery style, which means the meat is well cooked, the vegetables float in sauces (helps keep them warm), there is variety, including salad options, and plenty to eat. Desserts are a nice range of sugar foods with plenty of fruit options. Also a good steam pudding. The soups were excellent. But there seldom was any brown/wholemeal bread. For my partner the food was a problem. She prefers to have vegetarian meals. Well, she could have skipped the meat, but there were no other protein options. When she asked staff, they had no idea what she meant by protein and told her to have vegetables and salad. Work needs to be done on this aspect of the food. I thought breakfast choices were more than adequate. Morning and afternoon tea food was a bit heavy, but there was always a fruit option. Tea and coffee, however, was served in urns that we're not kept hot. The house bar is very nice; the attached pub (and TAB) (around the corner) is cosy. In summary, I have stayed here annually for several years. It does the job providing a large number of people with reasonable accommodation at an affordable price. For a wedding anniversary or a rom,antic Rotorua visit? Go elsewhere!!!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor room (which can be floor 2 in some areas) as rain on roof is very noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MykieHamiltonL

Thank you kindly for your feedback. Your comments have been taken on board and discussed with all departments. Your response is appreciated.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Terrible hotel embarrassing that tourists experience this.
We stayed here for our wedding anniversary ,the room was very dated there was screaming in the hallway for at least an hour in the middle of the night there was no lift but what really upset us was the buffet breakfast the sausages,bacon,beans weren't even slightly warm told the staff they didn't care at all,there was an extra cost if you wanted a fried egg or omelette .
Very disappointed would not stay again

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Richard W
Theresa M, Manager at Copthorne Hotel Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I do apologize for the level of service you recieved and the quality of the breakfast food. I have alerted your concerns with the department heads and have been assured the standards you described are not our normal service practice. I do appreciate your feedback as this is a way for our team to be able to deliver a service we are reknown for and get positive feedback on. I would be more then happy to discuss this further should you wish to contact me directly.