See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I travelled with a group of colleagues attending a conference at the Energy Centre. We were a bit nervous about the quality of the rooms as the hotel is rated 3.5 star. The hotel looks terrible from the outside. However on entering the lobby everything changed. The interior was modern, warm and inviting. Staff were genuinely friendly and efficient and the superior room we stayed in looked fine if slightly smaller than we expected. It contained a queen and a single bed. The room overlooked the main street and was noisy during the day but silent at night. I found the beds rather lumpy and the pillows thin. I did not sleep well here because of this. Bathroom was well presented and well supplied with toiletries

Food was a disappointment at this hotel. My colleague, who is not a fussy eater, found breakfast inedible and only ate there once even though breakfast was included in our tarrif. We dined at the restaurant on the first night for convenience, but never after that. Food was lukewarm and in one case fish was partially uncooked. Presentation was good.

Having stayed for business in the Ventura Inn previously we felt that it offered better value for a cheap and cheerful business trip and was actually cheaper during the period we stayed because we checked the price.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2010

The room I was given was a 'smoking room. I phoned reception and advised that I had booked a 'non smoking room'. Was told that there were none available however each room was carefully 'sanitised'. Not so. The room stunk badly of stale smoke including the pillows and even the towels in the bathroom. I requested a change of room. Was told that the hotel was 'booked out'. This was surprising given there were few vehicles in the parking bays, virtually nobody eating in the dining room for dinner or breakfast and the 'vacancy sign' stayed lit all night.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Having previously had a terrible experience in a "4-star" hotel, we didn't hold out a lot of hope for Kingsgate, but overall had an excellent stay. Check-in was reasonable, but evidently the girl at the counter was a bit stressed on her own dealing with 14.30 check-ins as well as phone calls. Room cleanliness was excellent and the housekeeping staff were friendly and polite. Sound insulation to the outside was good also and didn't hear much traffic noise. The restaurant staff helped us to heat up meals and provided extra milk on request. The breakfast was fresh and appetising but got a bit of mixed service from the staff who often looked like they were under a lot of pressure. This was probably the only thing that spoiled an almost faltless stay. But considering it is a 3.5 star hotel, I would still give an excellent rating. Thanks

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My partner&our 2 sons-3yrs&4yrs old,stayed 2 days&nights.This was a little get away for us&unable to afford a 2day holiday like this very often,was a great deal for our family.We thoroughly injoyed our stay here&definitely come back!The staff during our stay were lovely,helpful&polite,from the reception to the kiwi kitchen where we had breakfast&dinner.The rooms were nice,the tv wasn't so good though maybe an upgrade on tvs would be great.I take my hat to all the cleaning staff@kinigsgate hotel as they do an outstanding job keeping kingsgate so clean!Impressive work!! Being a cleaner myself,I know how back breaking a job cleaning is&thank you to the cleaning staff who always said goodmorning&hello when we saw them.Very happy&impressed family! We did think that the nice pool kingsgate had could've been much warmer,being winter&during our stay wasnt that warm.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We were really impressed at how the restaurant manager and chef catered for the needs of my coeliac daughter cooking her a lovely meal and allowing us to bring her breads to breakfast.
Great follow up too when we left clothes behind.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family