“Helpful friendly staff”

Ranked #85 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland
“Helpful friendly staff”
Reviewed 16 November 2010

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I was hesitant to stay here so here is what you need to know. The outside is not attractive but they were doing all the planning to fix it up while I was there so stay tuned. The interior is perfect, lovely reception, lovely people, helpful and patient. The restaurant = dinner was awesome, enjoyed it. Breakfast = could be better but I ate fruit and juice so I had no complaints. The rooms, from what I have heard the standard rooms aren't to flash but we had a superior room, it was very clean everything was good. the TV's were small and reception wasn't 10/10 but your not on holiday to watch tv. The only issues we had was our air con was broken and the rooms got quite hot.
The pool area was perfect, pool temp was amazing 29 degree's. I'd say that perfect temp for winter spring and autumn swimming.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Thai first
New Zealand
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We booked a night here through their grabanight site for $59. From the road the hotel didn't look too fancy, but upon entering, the reception and lounge areas were wonderful. I'd pre-filled in my details so literally a cheery 'hello' and signature later I had our room key. After walking through the really nice lounges we entered the sprawling corridors and rooms area. It was like walking through an old and soul-less dormitory or maybe even prison! (it was clean and tidy however). The room, as expected, was very dated and basic. It was a bit cold in there and you could hear noise easily from outside (not that there was much). However it was completely clean, large, comfortable and had a curious sort of nice character to it, plus I was happy to find the bathroom at least had been renovated and was spotlessly clean, a turning point for me as I then went to try the heated pool which was really warm (despite the cool weather) and looked very well maintained. The free private spa was nice too but was in a bit of a small dingy room which took the shine off of it. TV had sky but poor reception. Had specious gym but very old equipment. We didn't eat there but the buffet restaurant did look really appealing. This hotel doesn't compare to nicer hotels so I can't rate it that highly for quality, but you have to consider the price too, and I wouldn't even bother looking elsewhere for this place at a rate this cheap.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I will list the pro's and con's of the hotel

PROS-
Satisfactory Tennis facility
Modern Pool facility
The Buffet Breakfast

CONS-
Sky Sport reception was awful, could not read the scores, time or anything for the All Blacks
When we had troubles with Sky Sport, tried to watch in the bar, yet had very little seating available
Dated gymnasium
Unhappy staff (Cleaners had trouble with their trolleys, very heavy by the looks)
The doors to the balcony rattled in the wind, which was annoying
Bath/Shower combination was bad

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 August 2010

I travelled with a group of colleagues attending a conference at the Energy Centre. We were a bit nervous about the quality of the rooms as the hotel is rated 3.5 star. The hotel looks terrible from the outside. However on entering the lobby everything changed. The interior was modern, warm and inviting. Staff were genuinely friendly and efficient and the superior room we stayed in looked fine if slightly smaller than we expected. It contained a queen and a single bed. The room overlooked the main street and was noisy during the day but silent at night. I found the beds rather lumpy and the pillows thin. I did not sleep well here because of this. Bathroom was well presented and well supplied with toiletries

Food was a disappointment at this hotel. My colleague, who is not a fussy eater, found breakfast inedible and only ate there once even though breakfast was included in our tarrif. We dined at the restaurant on the first night for convenience, but never after that. Food was lukewarm and in one case fish was partially uncooked. Presentation was good.

Having stayed for business in the Ventura Inn previously we felt that it offered better value for a cheap and cheerful business trip and was actually cheaper during the period we stayed because we checked the price.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2010

The room I was given was a 'smoking room. I phoned reception and advised that I had booked a 'non smoking room'. Was told that there were none available however each room was carefully 'sanitised'. Not so. The room stunk badly of stale smoke including the pillows and even the towels in the bathroom. I requested a change of room. Was told that the hotel was 'booked out'. This was surprising given there were few vehicles in the parking bays, virtually nobody eating in the dining room for dinner or breakfast and the 'vacancy sign' stayed lit all night.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Reviewed 17 July 2010

Having previously had a terrible experience in a "4-star" hotel, we didn't hold out a lot of hope for Kingsgate, but overall had an excellent stay. Check-in was reasonable, but evidently the girl at the counter was a bit stressed on her own dealing with 14.30 check-ins as well as phone calls. Room cleanliness was excellent and the housekeeping staff were friendly and polite. Sound insulation to the outside was good also and didn't hear much traffic noise. The restaurant staff helped us to heat up meals and provided extra milk on request. The breakfast was fresh and appetising but got a bit of mixed service from the staff who often looked like they were under a lot of pressure. This was probably the only thing that spoiled an almost faltless stay. But considering it is a 3.5 star hotel, I would still give an excellent rating. Thanks

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My partner&our 2 sons-3yrs&4yrs old,stayed 2 days&nights.This was a little get away for us&unable to afford a 2day holiday like this very often,was a great deal for our family.We thoroughly injoyed our stay here&definitely come back!The staff during our stay were lovely,helpful&polite,from the reception to the kiwi kitchen where we had breakfast&dinner.The rooms were nice,the tv wasn't so good though maybe an upgrade on tvs would be great.I take my hat to all the cleaning staff@kinigsgate hotel as they do an outstanding job keeping kingsgate so clean!Impressive work!! Being a cleaner myself,I know how back breaking a job cleaning is&thank you to the cleaning staff who always said goodmorning&hello when we saw them.Very happy&impressed family! We did think that the nice pool kingsgate had could've been much warmer,being winter&during our stay wasnt that warm.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family