See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We used the Weekender Special and had a great stay in Rotorua. The Kingsgate staff are very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Our room was sparkling clean and the food was just great, particularly the roast dinner on the Saturday night. The bar was also a very comfortable area.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I would just like to say during our stay at the Kingsgate 26-28 November, we had a blast, sun was shining, all the trips we took around town was great, to come back and relax in our room or in the pool in the late evening was awesome. We also really enjoyed the professionalism of the seating, serving and attendance of the Restaurant Staff. Great food, great company, great stay, who could ask for more. Would definitely recommend this hotel to others. Would stay there again and try the Suite next time.
Regards,
Joanne

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2010

To be honest we arrived here with our two children and the reception area and bar area where a nice surprise, considering the outside of the resort. Got our key and then started the processes of finding our room, success finally came. The room was clean but furnishings were stained and curtains had tears. The bathroom was again clean with plenty of towels but again very tired.
The staff over all were friendly but in no way made any effort to look up and greet you. Had dinner in the restaurant that night and have to say that we were very dissappointed. It was a buffet style and there was plenty of food, but the food that was on offer was either burnt, dry or lacking in taste. the next 3 nights were spent around town.
It was quiet at night though you could hear people a few doors down so I would think it would be louder during summer season.
The pool is fantastic and warm and a great place to hang out with the children. Though there where times where it seems the local community comes in and takes over the area.
Breakfast was what you would expect and again lacked taste or consistency, though I can say that the coffee was consistently bad.
Over all a nice place to stay, lacked that something to make sure that you come back and seems to rely on the tourisim rather than repeat business.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2010

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I was hesitant to stay here so here is what you need to know. The outside is not attractive but they were doing all the planning to fix it up while I was there so stay tuned. The interior is perfect, lovely reception, lovely people, helpful and patient. The restaurant = dinner was awesome, enjoyed it. Breakfast = could be better but I ate fruit and juice so I had no complaints. The rooms, from what I have heard the standard rooms aren't to flash but we had a superior room, it was very clean everything was good. the TV's were small and reception wasn't 10/10 but your not on holiday to watch tv. The only issues we had was our air con was broken and the rooms got quite hot.
The pool area was perfect, pool temp was amazing 29 degree's. I'd say that perfect temp for winter spring and autumn swimming.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We booked a night here through their grabanight site for $59. From the road the hotel didn't look too fancy, but upon entering, the reception and lounge areas were wonderful. I'd pre-filled in my details so literally a cheery 'hello' and signature later I had our room key. After walking through the really nice lounges we entered the sprawling corridors and rooms area. It was like walking through an old and soul-less dormitory or maybe even prison! (it was clean and tidy however). The room, as expected, was very dated and basic. It was a bit cold in there and you could hear noise easily from outside (not that there was much). However it was completely clean, large, comfortable and had a curious sort of nice character to it, plus I was happy to find the bathroom at least had been renovated and was spotlessly clean, a turning point for me as I then went to try the heated pool which was really warm (despite the cool weather) and looked very well maintained. The free private spa was nice too but was in a bit of a small dingy room which took the shine off of it. TV had sky but poor reception. Had specious gym but very old equipment. We didn't eat there but the buffet restaurant did look really appealing. This hotel doesn't compare to nicer hotels so I can't rate it that highly for quality, but you have to consider the price too, and I wouldn't even bother looking elsewhere for this place at a rate this cheap.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple