“Cheap and Nasty! Never again!!”

SilverOaks Resort Heritage
Ranked #90 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed here with my family on the 15/16 of November 2013. I have stayed in a few hotels around NZ and I have to say, this is definitely the worst!!

Lights: All but 1 of the lightbulbs were blown in the lounge/kitchen/dining area. We left a note for the cleaner that morning advising of the blown lightbulbs, they were not replaced leaving us to eat dinner in near darkness. Finally decided to call reception and request some lightbulbs only to find the phone didn't work! Feeling a tad annoyed, ventured over to reception only to find it was closed! Reception sign advised it closed at 10pm, it was 9:20pm. Rang the bell, spoke to the guy who advised he would need to get an electrician in for the lightbulbs... WTF?!? He gave us 2 lightbulbs which we changed ourselves. The lamp in the lounge was black from what appears to either be dirt or perhaps painted this color.

Towels: They DO NOT provide extra towels if you want to go swimming in the pool. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

Spa/Gym: Spas not working and gym not available. From reading the reviews after our stay, it seems this has been the case for a long time, however they did not advise this upon making our booking!!!

Kitchen: Element knob was broken so we couldn't use the element. There was no salt/pepper at all, we had to buy our own. Fridge leaked, leaving water all over the kitchen floor.

Pool: The pool was SO HOT that the kids had to have cold showers when they got out to cool down. It was a beautiful 26 degree day outside and the pool was 30 degrees. WAY TOO HOT!

Bathroom: Was dirty looking, shower pressure was FANTASTIC however the shower cubicle left alot to be desired... wasn't dirty so much, but stained. I think the cleaners are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

Beds: Not that comfortable, but ok. Blankets looked questionable...

Ceiling: The ceiling was flaking above the beds and woke up with bits of plaster all over us and the bed, NOT GOOD!

I can definitely guarantee that I will NEVER be staying here again. Such a horrific experience! Now I know why the place was half empty!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Greg W, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for selecting Silveroaks Resort Heritage during your recent visit to Rotorua.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us, inline with our commitment to deliver a high quality product to all guests. The hotel is undergoing upgrading and several rooms are completed with new look such as tastefully painted, decorated, brand new furnitures and spa pools. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that the company has a vision and mind set to complete the upgrade and refurbishment in our scheduled timeframe.

Please let me assure you that we are committed to poroviding the best accomodation and service to our guests, and as a team we will continously strive to deliver the service excellence.

I would like to kindly invite you to contact me directly at : heritage@silveroaks.co.nz I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to work towards regaining your confidence.

We look forward to welcoming you to witness the comfort and enjoyment in our newely renovated rooms in future.

Warm regards

John Chetty

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were part of the conference delegates who stayed at Silveroaks Resort Heritage, we found John Chetty who greeted us warmly as we arrived and was there for any assistance we needed throuhout the stay. He reccommended us to explore several attractions which we did and it was great spots that he mentioned we all throughly enjoyed and we will mention to our friends and families to come and see Mr John Chetty whoi can make their stay a memorable one.

The resort is great set up and some of us are already planning to bring our families to have a ralaxing holiday here and we will request Mr John Chetty and his team to look after us.

We had a great time as we were looked after very well - Thank you John

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jackie S
Greg W, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Gueat

Warmest greetings from Silveroaks Resort Heritage

We are delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us and it was our pleasure to have you as our valued guest in your recent business trip to Rotorua, New Zealand. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and with travelers on Trip Advisor. I am happy to know that you also enjoyed the attraction around Rotorua and we appreciate that you will be recommending our hotel.

Your compliments towards our hotel's location, facilities and service are greatly appreciated, our hotel is indeed located in the midst of Fenton street which is the main tourist attraction hub of this vibrant city offering many choices of restaurants, bars, attractions and sight seeing only a short walk from the hotel.

I am pleased to learn that the services provided to you during your stay by the team as directed by myself has been succesful, we always as a team go extra mile to exceed our guest services.

We look forward to welcoming you again with your familiy for another memorable and enjoyable stay with us in near future.

Warm regards

John Chetty

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My family and I frequently holiday is Rotorua over the years and mostly stayed at the Silver Oaks Resort Heritage and loved it – great pool, spa bath in the rooms and private spas outdoors if you don’t have one in your room. I have grown up now and decided to take my partner on our 3 years anniversary to stay there to show him how great it was and man had my memories of that place disappeared. First off on booking the room 2 months earlier I specifically made a note that we would like a spa room. Upon arriving I was told by the manager that she had seen the note I made however that was not what I paid for so I couldn’t have it. At no stage did she attempt to contact me to let me know that I had not booked a spa room – she decided to just leave it which annoyed me. After this I thought at least we could use the outdoor private spa pools however these were closed and looked like they had been for many many months and when I read back the reviews on here now it proves that they had been. At no stage was I told the facilities would not be working and this was not advertised on their website. When we approached them about this they said they would see what they could do about getting us a spa room but we would have to pay extra to get it, even though the facilities they advertised as working were not working at all. I found them to be very defensive and “right fighters” rather than customer focussed. After approaching several times over the weekend the male manager finally sighed and said you can go to our Silver Oaks Geyserland and use their private spas. The man at Geyserland was much friendlier and lovely to deal with so will be staying there next time that’s for sure. Definite work needed here - and training for staff and managers.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
SophieAuckland, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Sarah

We are disappointed that you dud not enjoy your stay in August, since August the Resort is under new Management and we have already addressed all the issues you have raised.

Since the Hotel has changed Management we have started a refurbishment campaign, we are currently refurbishing the North wing of the Resort and we are moving to get this wing completely refurbished as fast as we can, at this point in time we have completed 50% of this wing, so we are making good progress.

This wing has the private spa pools attached to the rooms, so at this stage 50% of this wing have new spa pools.

We have not reopened the 6 public spa pools at this point in time, we are working towards our program which is to complete the North wing, once complete we will refurbish the 6 public spa, and when complete we will commence the refurbishment of the South Wing

Once that is complete, we have plans to add a movie room, games room, guest pantry, and large gym, and a new block that will include an additional 10 apartments.

The plans to develop the complex and all in place and ar well underway, we would expect you to see substantial improvment over the next coupls of years

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We actually booked another hotel, but the agency overbooked it, so we were relocated to Silver oaks. First impressions...its in need of maintenance. Light fittings not working and hanging by wires at the room entrance. Hair dryer didn't work, toaster in the restaurant had to be switched off at the wall to get toast to pop. Beds old and saggy (not very comfortable).
Th staff were very helpful and positive, so for that I have given 3 out of 5.
no cooked buffet breakfast (odd, everywhere else offered this).
For the nightly rate I would have expected more.
My bill was wrong when I went to check out. Double dipped on the breakfast costs. This was corrected.
In order to stay again the place needs a lot of work.
Sorry team. Under impressed.
Recommendations:
Weekend cooked Buffet breakfast (The cereal selection was a let down).
Fix the many broken light fittings.
Maintain the mini golf. That is a good attractor for families.
Clean the pool. Heaps of stones and flotsam in it.
Offer sky TV. Why is there a current Sky-watch mag in the room, but only free-view available (simply bizarre)?
Ensure all appliances work. The hairdryer didn't.
Update the decor. The place is very tired.

This is my opinion based on what I saw and reported to the front desk during my stay.

Room Tip: Im told some top floor rooms have a spa bath. But seriously, the The Hot Rocks hostel will be bette...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
SophieAuckland, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Hello Mike

Thank you for the feedback, and the positive comments about our staff.

Our staff are very positive, as we are in the middle of the refurbishment, with the North wing due to be completed late November.

There is SKY TV, to view all channels you need to move between ATV and DTV, on your TV remote.

The pool and mini golf are very popular with families and are well used and enjoyed

We will check the hair dryer in your room and get that replaced

We do hope to see you again, Kind Regards Heritage Team

Reviewed 17 October 2013

First the good stuff. The bed was comfy and the water pressure in the shower was great. Chainui tea and pleasant receptionist staff. Unfortunately this wasn't enough to balance out the not-so-good stuff. Everything was clean but the rooms are desperately in need of refurbishment. The wifi didn't work and it wasn't free.
I would hate visitors to NZ to stay here and think that this is what we think is acceptable accommodation. It isn't and even though the price was cheap (we got a grabone voucher) I'd have happily paid more for a better room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We booked through hotel.com. It looked great on the net, 10 years ago we were there with kids, it was great family motel. Sad to say the maintenance has been non existence. I was shocked at the state of rooms, pools, general environment. Only John the new manager saved the day and begged us to stay. The phone, spa, failed, kitchen utilises, dirty, bathroom dirty, linen was the pits.
Would not pay 150 or 100, 10 is all it's worth.

Room Tip: Inspect room, work the phone, tv,and. Inspect inspect inspect internet pictures are not reliable at...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

We do thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback, but we do feel your comments do not fairly reflect the property.

We are currently have 10 rooms closed down for refurbishment, and these will re opened just in time for Labour weekend. These rooms have been completely refurbished. The new interior is modern and is high lighted with splashes of orange.

We will be continuing with the refurbishment after labour weekend.

There is continual work going on at the property, the improvements already include new pool fence, upgrading of the pool to provide controlled heat to the pool, new BBQ. We have ordered feature lighting to go around the pool, BBQ area and mini golf, this is due to be installed this week, so look out for the new green feature lights.

We are also currently upgrading all the spa pools, we have completed half of the 18 pools, so we do still have 9 to go, but this work is under way. The new spa pools look fantastic and are very relaxing to soak in.

We are working very hard to upgrade the Resort, and we feel we are making great progress.

Again we do appreciate your feedback, but we do also hope that you appreciate the Hotel is under an upgrade program at the present.

We do have a room set up for guests to view the new look, and we encourage all guests to ask the Manager to have a look at the new interior of the refurbished rooms, you will be impressed

Reviewed 5 October 2013

stayed here for one night,room 7, wording said resort and heritage so we thought must be good, do not be fooled folks, i wouldn't pay $20 for the night, a backpackers would have been better, tape on floor holding carpet in place so we don't trip over as we entered, saw in distance a spa thought wow, just what i was hoping for, sadly it was filthy, and no water in it so i tried to fill it but no water came out of the tap, now power either, i would have rung thru to reception but hey guess what, no PHONE, tv reception bad bad bad, more tape on floor holding carpet . so checked out the bathroom a walk thru, heated towel rail a safety issue held on with packaging tape.on each side, so check the shower peach in colour i definately remember that being the in colour of the 80's outside of shower filthy, inside the shower, water pressure very good i am surprised next thing the waste lifts up from the floor, i wonder what i causing this so i lift it off and check OMG!!!! IT WAS JUST SO FILTHY THE WATER COULDN'T GET AWAY PROPERLY...Any good things, well the towels and sheets were clean.tho sheets felt old and tired. also had blankets , went to office was just a couple of mins past 10pm therefore door locked so i rang the after hours night bell, but sadly that also didn't work, gentleman at reception said it was his first day and he was lovely, and on first look it seemed tired, but you didn't really notice too much as we'd had a long drive, the beds looked clean and tidy, oh did i mention to watch the tv you had to move the chairs to beside the bed, then to use the service area for tea/coffee, you had to return chair to position in front of wardrobe. mmm spent more time moving this damn chair .. than sitting in it grrrr
ALSO no air conditioning and it was a hot day, only to find out they had a the oil heater on and on high.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bubbles20nz
SophieAuckland, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

We are sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay.

The Resort is currently under refurbishment, and we are certain you would have noted the contractors on site. We are currently reburhishing 50% of the North wing, and once this is complete we will refurbish the other half of the North wing.

Unfortunately you were accommodated in the non refurbished part of the North wing.

In response to a couple of the matters you raised.

The thermal heating can be turned on and off within the room, had you not wanted the heater on, you could have just switched this off.

The spa pool is a self filling spa pool, to get the water flowing you just need to pull the tap back, turning the tap does not allow for water flow, it is similar to a kitchen tap.

Whilst you stayed with us, we installed a new phone and message system, and switched to digital TV, so we did incur a few problems with the change over, but these problems have all been resolved, these changes were made as part of the upgrade, and the installation of new flat screen TV's to all the rooms

Kind Regards