“Not clean, inexpensive”

Ranked #90 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Kansas City, Missouri
“Not clean, inexpensive”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

poor shape of the room, sticky surfaces, not fresh, not clean. Room we had was spacious with own jetted tub on private patio. Our first impression was poor, and we considered leaving w/o staying over. Sulfur smell that night around the area did not help at all. Low air pressure kept the sulfur smell pretty intense in the area of the motel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg W, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest

Warm greetings from Silveroaks Resort Heritage

Thank you for choosing to stay wirth us and sharing your feedback. I am delighted to know of your appreciation towards our hotel's spacious room which had a private spa.

May I take this opportunity to share with you that we are proad of the shape of our hotel rooms as they are well appointed and all our guest rooms are freshly serviced every day by our friendly staff for the comfort of our guests.

I regret to learn of your concerns about the sulphur smell in the hotel, I would like to bring it to your attention that Rotorua is one of the sulphur city of New Zealand, and sulphur smell is expected in the area. I would like to remind you that the sulphur smell is mild in our hotel compared to the areas near the city and Rotorua lake.

Once again thank you for your feedback and you can contact me directly at: heritage@silveroaks.co.nz and I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to communicte with you.

John Chetty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed at the Silveroaks Resort Heritage for 2 nights when we first arrived in Canada . The first person we saw was John Chetty - General Mqanager at reception was probably the most cheerful receptionist we’ve ever encountered! he was so genuinely happy we were there and after an 11+ hour flight, his upbeat attitude was just what we needed! In general, the customer service at the resort was great was was led by John.

The resort has all thats is needed to relax and explore the attractions, John was very helpful in organising tours and sightseeing for us, from transport to whole experience and with discounts as well.

We are very proud of this gentleman - John Chetty who is a great asset to the organization and he is the focus and nerve centre of the resort and he has an outgoing personality which tunes in with guests expectation.

We will be back and stay here again and it will be nice to see John and explore some more attractions which we did not have time to complete.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia C
Greg W, Owner at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, 21 June 2014

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 November 2013

John Chetty the manager made up for lack of maintenance. He is a gem. Always helpful, friendly and willing to go the extra mile. Spa pool and main pool great. Tidy rooms at a good price. Cook your own food as onsite is mediocre.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

The main thing that stood out for us was the service that John Chetty gave us. We weren't arriving until close to midnight but John stayed up to ensure we got into our room and had everything we needed. There are some very poor reviews here on trip adviser but what do people expect for what it costs to stay here? Yes the room is a tad dated but everything worked and was very clean and spacious.

We'd definitely stay again. With the level of service we received and a wee bit of a spruce up here and there (which is apparently on the cards) it's exceptional value for money.

Stayed November 2013

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed here with my family on the 15/16 of November 2013. I have stayed in a few hotels around NZ and I have to say, this is definitely the worst!!

Lights: All but 1 of the lightbulbs were blown in the lounge/kitchen/dining area. We left a note for the cleaner that morning advising of the blown lightbulbs, they were not replaced leaving us to eat dinner in near darkness. Finally decided to call reception and request some lightbulbs only to find the phone didn't work! Feeling a tad annoyed, ventured over to reception only to find it was closed! Reception sign advised it closed at 10pm, it was 9:20pm. Rang the bell, spoke to the guy who advised he would need to get an electrician in for the lightbulbs... WTF?!? He gave us 2 lightbulbs which we changed ourselves. The lamp in the lounge was black from what appears to either be dirt or perhaps painted this color.

Towels: They DO NOT provide extra towels if you want to go swimming in the pool. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

Spa/Gym: Spas not working and gym not available. From reading the reviews after our stay, it seems this has been the case for a long time, however they did not advise this upon making our booking!!!

Kitchen: Element knob was broken so we couldn't use the element. There was no salt/pepper at all, we had to buy our own. Fridge leaked, leaving water all over the kitchen floor.

Pool: The pool was SO HOT that the kids had to have cold showers when they got out to cool down. It was a beautiful 26 degree day outside and the pool was 30 degrees. WAY TOO HOT!

Bathroom: Was dirty looking, shower pressure was FANTASTIC however the shower cubicle left alot to be desired... wasn't dirty so much, but stained. I think the cleaners are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.

Beds: Not that comfortable, but ok. Blankets looked questionable...

Ceiling: The ceiling was flaking above the beds and woke up with bits of plaster all over us and the bed, NOT GOOD!

I can definitely guarantee that I will NEVER be staying here again. Such a horrific experience! Now I know why the place was half empty!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Greg W, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for selecting Silveroaks Resort Heritage during your recent visit to Rotorua.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us, inline with our commitment to deliver a high quality product to all guests. The hotel is undergoing upgrading and several rooms are completed with new look such as tastefully painted, decorated, brand new furnitures and spa pools. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that the company has a vision and mind set to complete the upgrade and refurbishment in our scheduled timeframe.

Please let me assure you that we are committed to poroviding the best accomodation and service to our guests, and as a team we will continously strive to deliver the service excellence.

I would like to kindly invite you to contact me directly at : heritage@silveroaks.co.nz I would greatly appreciate an opportunity to work towards regaining your confidence.

We look forward to welcoming you to witness the comfort and enjoyment in our newely renovated rooms in future.

John Chetty

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

American Canyon, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were part of the conference delegates who stayed at Silveroaks Resort Heritage, we found John Chetty who greeted us warmly as we arrived and was there for any assistance we needed throuhout the stay. He reccommended us to explore several attractions which we did and it was great spots that he mentioned we all throughly enjoyed and we will mention to our friends and families to come and see Mr John Chetty whoi can make their stay a memorable one.

The resort is great set up and some of us are already planning to bring our families to have a ralaxing holiday here and we will request Mr John Chetty and his team to look after us.

We had a great time as we were looked after very well - Thank you John

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jackie S
Greg W, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Gueat

Warmest greetings from Silveroaks Resort Heritage

We are delighted to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us and it was our pleasure to have you as our valued guest in your recent business trip to Rotorua, New Zealand. Thank you for sharing your experience with us and with travelers on Trip Advisor. I am happy to know that you also enjoyed the attraction around Rotorua and we appreciate that you will be recommending our hotel.

Your compliments towards our hotel's location, facilities and service are greatly appreciated, our hotel is indeed located in the midst of Fenton street which is the main tourist attraction hub of this vibrant city offering many choices of restaurants, bars, attractions and sight seeing only a short walk from the hotel.

I am pleased to learn that the services provided to you during your stay by the team as directed by myself has been succesful, we always as a team go extra mile to exceed our guest services.

We look forward to welcoming you again with your familiy for another memorable and enjoyable stay with us in near future.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My family and I frequently holiday is Rotorua over the years and mostly stayed at the Silver Oaks Resort Heritage and loved it – great pool, spa bath in the rooms and private spas outdoors if you don’t have one in your room. I have grown up now and decided to take my partner on our 3 years anniversary to stay there to show him how great it was and man had my memories of that place disappeared. First off on booking the room 2 months earlier I specifically made a note that we would like a spa room. Upon arriving I was told by the manager that she had seen the note I made however that was not what I paid for so I couldn’t have it. At no stage did she attempt to contact me to let me know that I had not booked a spa room – she decided to just leave it which annoyed me. After this I thought at least we could use the outdoor private spa pools however these were closed and looked like they had been for many many months and when I read back the reviews on here now it proves that they had been. At no stage was I told the facilities would not be working and this was not advertised on their website. When we approached them about this they said they would see what they could do about getting us a spa room but we would have to pay extra to get it, even though the facilities they advertised as working were not working at all. I found them to be very defensive and “right fighters” rather than customer focussed. After approaching several times over the weekend the male manager finally sighed and said you can go to our Silver Oaks Geyserland and use their private spas. The man at Geyserland was much friendlier and lovely to deal with so will be staying there next time that’s for sure. Definite work needed here - and training for staff and managers.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
SophieAuckland, General Manager at SilverOaks Resort Heritage, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Sarah

We are disappointed that you dud not enjoy your stay in August, since August the Resort is under new Management and we have already addressed all the issues you have raised.

Since the Hotel has changed Management we have started a refurbishment campaign, we are currently refurbishing the North wing of the Resort and we are moving to get this wing completely refurbished as fast as we can, at this point in time we have completed 50% of this wing, so we are making good progress.

This wing has the private spa pools attached to the rooms, so at this stage 50% of this wing have new spa pools.

We have not reopened the 6 public spa pools at this point in time, we are working towards our program which is to complete the North wing, once complete we will refurbish the 6 public spa, and when complete we will commence the refurbishment of the South Wing

Once that is complete, we have plans to add a movie room, games room, guest pantry, and large gym, and a new block that will include an additional 10 apartments.

The plans to develop the complex and all in place and ar well underway, we would expect you to see substantial improvment over the next coupls of years