“Top Service Atmosphere and Style”
Review of Princes Gate Hotel

Princes Gate Hotel
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Melbourne, Australia
“Top Service Atmosphere and Style”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

This old style hotel must be the best value hotel in Rotorua for those seeking a top quality accommodation at a reasonable price.Historic building in central location but tastefully renovated.Excellent lounge and bar.Open fires .Top class restaurant .We had afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast and were bowled over by the standard and service.

Room Tip: Best rooms for views and privacy are upstairs on 1st floor but stairs and no lift.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
melbourne
Reviewed 21 August 2011

we actually stayed for 2 nights in the self contained apartments........they were lovely and so nice to have a couch to relax on!! (we found a lot of accomodation do not have a couch to sit on!!) beautiful hotel and many opportunities from high tea to beautiful dinner, warm pools etc.........

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 August 2011

For my "very significant" birthday I was determined to seek out a "characterful", individual, personally run hotel as an alternative to a same-old chain one. Imagine my satisfaction and appreciation, when making the an enquiry at Princes Gate, they said that they would be delighted to assist with all my needs. This included a variety of accommodation, a buffet lunch and a dinner with entertainment and opportunity for dancing after.
Princes Gate possesses much that I was looking for in a character hotel; an interesting setting overlooking the Government gardens; built in 1897 and beautifully restored with very modern amenities.
The entrance to the hotel is just lovely, with beautiful lead light windows. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. I was introduced to the person who I took to be the coordinator of the events of the weekend and I later realised that he was in fact the owner of the hotel. He has a very hands-on approach and was able to advise me on several aspects that I had not considered. At the end of that initial meeting, I had a clear idea of what to expect from the hotel and the staff.
The rooms that we were to occupy for the long weekend were so very beautiful. The bedroom had been decorated in glorious colours and was so romantic. The bathroom facilities were modern, clean and spacious. The view out of the bedroom windows was not great, but the interior more than made up for that. It was very warm (just the way I like it) but my husband felt it was a bit too warm. We managed a compromise by opening a couple of the bedroom windows a little way. The other bedrooms I saw were also very pretty and in character so nothing like chain hotel ones.
As for the tasty food at a quiet dinner that first night, it was a good indication of what was to come the next day when both lunch and dinner were going to be served for my guests. Waiting staff were effective, obliging and unobtrusive in equal measures throughout the whole weekend.
The buffet lunch was superbly organised and the was both food beautifully presented There was plenty to delicious food to eat and wine to drink. The costume themed dinner later that evening was again well organised with tasty entrees, main and dessert all being managed splendidly. The entertainment in our function room was at odds with a cabaret in another dining room, but that was managed unobtrusively even though we were the raucous group.
Checkout was quick and easy and we had no problem understanding what each item on the bill represented. We were given a print of the hotel by the owner which was a lovely appreciated touch.
So, all in all, it was a fantastic experience. It made my birthday one that I will never forget. Great room, good location, good price, very experienced staff who were very friendly and helpful. I will stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 August 2011

From check in to check out the service was superb. Great experience to entertain our clients in a wonderfully authentic establishment. The decor, furnishings, and ambience are reflect a beautiful elegant ear of NZ history. Our clients felt special and loved the experience of beautiful food and superb service. We are looking forward to hosting our Road Show at the Princes Gate again next year.

Room Tip: If you want a view of Lake Rotorua book the Elizabeth room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We arrived dropped our bags and soaked in the hot pool after a long drive.It was our 4th time here because it is so central and walking distance to town and lake. Rooms are warm, quanit, old luxury. highly recommended.

Room Tip: Comfortable rooms, Rooms are named after prominent New Zealanders
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Bethells Beach Auckland New Zealand
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We had the wonderful experience of High tea at Princes Gate Hotel last weekend. The decor was stunning and so appropriate for the experience of High Tea. We were given the option of dining in the dining room or lounge, chose the lounge and was seated before a lovely cosy fire. The staff were polite and helpful, showing us a room for future reference. The 3 tiered platter was outstanding with a lovely selection of cakes and sandwiches. Definitely good value for money and a lovely way to spend a wet aternoon. We will be back and have been recommending the experience to others.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My family had agreed to go out for a special dinner for our aunts birthday, we organized to go to a dinner and show but as more people became interested we decided to use a private function room and have a buffet meal for the 40 people who had decided to come. The buffet options ranged from $59.00. $69.00- $79.00. We went with $69.00 option and it was really great on paper, but the food was CRAP!!!!! The hot carvery which was ham on the bone and then the only seafood option ran out! we hadn't all eaten mains yet! and when I asked the waiter for more of those dishes he replied "its a buffet and that's all that was ordered" to my surprise he was right!!!!! Before we entered the private function room, we were required to pay the total account ($2550.00) After talking to the manager on duty he agreed that the hot meat shouldn't have run out during everyone's first sitting, I asked him what his interpretation of a buffet was and he shock he's head and apologized ultimately passing the buck between the chef and the Hotel manager.
This was embarrassing for me as I organized the birthday dinner and had my entire family questioning the price of the meal. The next day the remaining 17 of us went to dinner at the "HOLIDAY INN" in Rotorua for a buffet dinner $42.00 p.p, and it was amazing "Salmon, oysters, prawns 2 CARVING STATIONS and a load of hot foods and beautiful desserts"I strongly recommend THE HOLIDAY INN hotel and would be happy to say I WILL NEVER BE RETURNING TO THE PRINCESS GATE HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jay255111
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Without getting into emotion, the facts are yes we did run out of seafood which is not an ideal situation and we apologise. The seafood did not however run out before everyone had been through at least once, it was only when guests returned for seconds and thirds, and other guests had piled their plates high with the seafood, that it ran out.
The ham did not run out and there was in fact meat left over on its return to the kitchen.
The organiser herself was difficult to work with constant changes and promises to pay, as per our policy for all functions. This happened over a period of a week but was never followed through until the actual day of the function. This led to an obviously difficult function
The standards of the Princes Gate Hotel are high and as such, our meals and functions are carried out in classic style. A specific emphasis is on our A la Carte and Table D'hote dining, however as with many of our weddings and formal functions, buffets are often a popular alternative.

Kind Regards,