“holiday xmas present”

Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
tauranga
“holiday xmas present”
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Location excellent room nice and we had a lovely meal dinner and show couldn't fault at all, When we went to bed at night the bedroom was so hot, it was unberable. I sat outside until 2.00am just to keep cool once I did go to sleep the mossie decided it was dinner time. I would stay there again if aircon was availabe or a fan, Another couple who were at the same dinner show had to move rooms because it was so hot. When I pointed this out to reception in the morning was told we have problems with contractors trying to get them to put in air con Where told that this is common complaint .(People have moved out because it is to hot) Not a good look for New Zealand see will be right attidute ) We had breakfast which was very nice and I must take my hat off to them they were fantastic, Just have to sort out the aircon, being a hotel you would think that a fan would be in every room

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2011
Thank-you for your feedback, we really appreciate knowing that you had a wonderful experience with us and do hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again. In response to your comments on our rooms being very hot, we are definitely taking steps to remedy this. We have got fans for all our rooms and are currently in the process of insulating our rooms to prevent the heat distribution causing the rooms to become so hot. This will be be completed very soon and will also help to keep the rooms warmer in the winter too.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 22 January 2011

My actual stay was April, 2009. This is a beautiful little botique hotel that has charm, great service, great food, drinks and amenities. I would stay there again in a heartbeat were I to travel to New Zealand. I was only there two days, as I was on a tour, but next time I would definitely like to spend a week or more in this beautiful little community and in this charming Hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
We would like to thank-you for your feedback and are really please you had an enjoyable stay. We strive hard to please each and every guest and we are very happy when a guest lets us know that is exactly what we have acheived. We definitely look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Regards, Brett Marvelly (Owner)
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Arriving at the hotel on a rainy evening I was very impressed to have the manager greet me and accompany me to the car to collect my bag and carry it to my upstairs room. One rarely experiences such lovely service these days.I stayed two nights while attending a conference acros the road at the conference centre. The location was ideal, I loved the "old world" decor of this charming historic hotel and the warmth and friendliness of the staff. When we needed photocopies for the conference the staff were very helpful. The room was clean and comfortable and I appreciated the comfortable bed.
The only thing I would have liked was free internet access for my computer. There was a small fee for this but good to have wi-fi in room. Would definitely stay again if visiting Rotorua

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Thank-you for your positive feedback. Our staff go out of their way for our guests and something like carrying a guests bags from their car to their room is all part of our expected standard of service. It is great that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could make your life easier and provide warmth and friendliness as we strive to do for all our guests. As for the internet, we do provide both wi-fi and broadband in all our Hotel rooms for a small fee in-line with many other Hotels around New Zealand. Regards, Brett Marvelly
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I'd looked at this hotel for years and wondered because I admired the colonial style building- then when we saw it had been upgraded, we decided to visit. The rooms are stylish and comfortable with everything one could want. The dinner we had was excellent and the service was friendly and first rate. What more could you want?

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
We really appreciate your wonderful comments. As your comment states we have recently upgraded our rooms and they are really wonderful and comfortable while still staying true to the aesthetic of the Princes Gate Hotel. We hope to see you again and that your next stay with us is not another few years away. Regards, Brett Marvelly (Owner)
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We made the big mistake of going for the High Tea at the Princes Gate. As previous reviewers have stated the website presents a wonderful picture of the hotel and of a high tea on the usual three tiered stand with a great selection of sandwiches and cakes. What you get however is a miniature version with a mini scone which was about the size of an old 50 cent piece was accompanied by two huge bowls of cream and jam which took up most of the plate and were totally out of proportion to the size of the scone. The waitress offered a top up but before we could say anything made the point that it was only for the tea. A real rip off, I complained to the hotel but the hotel management don't seem interested in listening and addressing problems. We paid 100 dollars for two small plates of food.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank HIghteafan
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
As to your feedback, please find the following explanation. I leave this up to Tripadvisor readers to make up their own opinions. Firstly high tea is a very old tradition dating back over 100 years. The concept of high tea was never to be had as a meal. It was designed as something fine for the ladies to have prior to dinner. I make this point so as people can know that it is not a substitute for lunch or dinner. In regards to the comment that the high tea at the Princes Gate Hotel is expensive, it certainly isn't and I will break down the cost so as to leave for future reference, the quality and value of our high tea. Having partaken in high tea at the likes of Claridges in london which equated to something around $90NZpp and the Plaza in New York at around $80NZpp, it certainly puts our price in a league of it's own. We at the Princes Gate Hotel serve approximately 10,000 high teas a year, and to be honest, probably 99% of those people are extremely happy with not only the food but the surroundings and service, which, as what high tea is all about, is the overall experience. In regards to our costings, $22.00 includes GST (15% or $3.30). We offer a selection of tea which is an endless pot. We look at this as $4.00. The high tea has a selection of 4 sandwiches @ $1.50 each. Take off the scone, the butterfly cake and 1 other chefs selection and you cost these at $3.00 each we are in debit by $0.30. I trust the above explains not only the concept, but the value of our high tea and also the overriding picture of high tea in general.

Kind regards, Brett Marvelly (Owner 25 years).
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 December 2010

The is a beautiful hotel and location however the double bed in the 2 bedroom apartment was very small and extremely uncomfortable. The windows were very small which opened outwards and this only let in a limited amount of air. There were no fans in the apartment. The bedrooms were a good size and the lounge and kitchen facilities were good. The decor was nice. Great hot pools. Parking was also limited with two spaces for the apartments. First in best dressed.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
PrincesGateHotel, Manager at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2010
Thank-you for positive comments. In regards to your other comments, there is free parking all around the hotel and the apartments. The two parks you talked about, are our drop off bays. There is also off-street parking available which is a security car-park. In respect to the windows, yes they do open out which is, I think, quite normal. In respect to the fan, we normally do have fans in the rooms so I do not know what went wrong there, but our guest services folder does alert the guest to being able to contact our 24 hour desk for any assistance during your stay.
We do again thank-you for your lovely comments and feedback.
Illawarra
Reviewed 2 December 2010

We picked this place due to a Lonely Planet entry and a wotif special price. The atmosphere of the place is great - really charming old hotel: lots of old pictures everywhere; lounging room with leather couches; cute rooms; balcony to sit on. Also has a little pool with 2 warmer pools to the side. Staff was very efficient on check-in/out. We stayed in a "classic room" - a bit squished/small - but had DB, decent size bathroom, mini-fridge/kettle and balcony access, as well as great armchair to lounge in. We were happy until we went to bed - we had the worst night on our whole trip thanks to a terrible mattress that was hard on the edges and soft in the middle, meaning me and my husband rolled into the middle of the bed and could never be even/straight. Things might be better in their more expensive rooms, but considering their classic room is not exactly cheap, I was disappointed. We were in Rotorua for another night, but moved to a different hotel because of the bed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alexia99
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2010
Dear Alexia, i have mentioned before that it is a great help to a hotel if when a guest does find something they don't like, to inform them so they can do something about it. It is therefore frustrating for a hotel that hasn't had an opportunity to rectify this, but instead to hear it through the social pages of the internet. We do however thankyou for your wonderful comments about the Princes Gate Hotel. I can assure guests that we have a continual upgrading policy in all our rooms and now that Alexia has brought this bed to our attention it will be replaced.
Regards, Brett Marvelly, Owner.