“Elegent old world charm and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Princes Gate Hotel

Princes Gate Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Brisbane, Australia
“Elegent old world charm and service”
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We were pleasantly surprised with the accommodation we were offered as I had booked under Mayfair Apartments website. Well preserved colonial building dating back to 19th century, she offered guests a look into glorious history and charm of a bygone era. The service was impeccable and we dined in the fine dining restaurant deliberately over a couple of days because there was no better food or friendly service and it was right on the doorstep.
We would definitely recommend this hotel for her position and accommodation.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2011
We greatly appreciate your comments and we are extremely pleased you had a first class stay with us. We pride ourselves on maintaining the Princes Gate Hotels old world charm and beauty while maintaining the high standards needed in the modern age within our rooms, restaurant and our service to our guests. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back here in the future. Yours sincerely, Brett Marvelly.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I stayed at the Princes Gate with my mother for 2 days. It was very comfortable, with attentive staff and a great building in a great location. I particularly enjoyed having breakfast outside in the sunshine. Back in the UK, it was wintry grey February - what a contrast!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2011
We really appreciate your positive comments and are glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. It always helps us to know that we are providing our guests with the kind of service we are striving for. Our breakfasts we serve here are wonderful and range from our tea/coffee & toast to our full continental. Having our outdoor seating on a beautiful day is a great way to start your day off too.
tauranga
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Location excellent room nice and we had a lovely meal dinner and show couldn't fault at all, When we went to bed at night the bedroom was so hot, it was unberable. I sat outside until 2.00am just to keep cool once I did go to sleep the mossie decided it was dinner time. I would stay there again if aircon was availabe or a fan, Another couple who were at the same dinner show had to move rooms because it was so hot. When I pointed this out to reception in the morning was told we have problems with contractors trying to get them to put in air con Where told that this is common complaint .(People have moved out because it is to hot) Not a good look for New Zealand see will be right attidute ) We had breakfast which was very nice and I must take my hat off to them they were fantastic, Just have to sort out the aircon, being a hotel you would think that a fan would be in every room

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank-you for your feedback, we really appreciate knowing that you had a wonderful experience with us and do hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again. In response to your comments on our rooms being very hot, we are definitely taking steps to remedy this. We have got fans for all our rooms and are currently in the process of insulating our rooms to prevent the heat distribution causing the rooms to become so hot. This will be be completed very soon and will also help to keep the rooms warmer in the winter too.
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 22 January 2011

My actual stay was April, 2009. This is a beautiful little botique hotel that has charm, great service, great food, drinks and amenities. I would stay there again in a heartbeat were I to travel to New Zealand. I was only there two days, as I was on a tour, but next time I would definitely like to spend a week or more in this beautiful little community and in this charming Hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2011
We would like to thank-you for your feedback and are really please you had an enjoyable stay. We strive hard to please each and every guest and we are very happy when a guest lets us know that is exactly what we have acheived. We definitely look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. Regards, Brett Marvelly (Owner)
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Arriving at the hotel on a rainy evening I was very impressed to have the manager greet me and accompany me to the car to collect my bag and carry it to my upstairs room. One rarely experiences such lovely service these days.I stayed two nights while attending a conference acros the road at the conference centre. The location was ideal, I loved the "old world" decor of this charming historic hotel and the warmth and friendliness of the staff. When we needed photocopies for the conference the staff were very helpful. The room was clean and comfortable and I appreciated the comfortable bed.
The only thing I would have liked was free internet access for my computer. There was a small fee for this but good to have wi-fi in room. Would definitely stay again if visiting Rotorua

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Thank-you for your positive feedback. Our staff go out of their way for our guests and something like carrying a guests bags from their car to their room is all part of our expected standard of service. It is great that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we could make your life easier and provide warmth and friendliness as we strive to do for all our guests. As for the internet, we do provide both wi-fi and broadband in all our Hotel rooms for a small fee in-line with many other Hotels around New Zealand. Regards, Brett Marvelly
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I'd looked at this hotel for years and wondered because I admired the colonial style building- then when we saw it had been upgraded, we decided to visit. The rooms are stylish and comfortable with everything one could want. The dinner we had was excellent and the service was friendly and first rate. What more could you want?

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
We really appreciate your wonderful comments. As your comment states we have recently upgraded our rooms and they are really wonderful and comfortable while still staying true to the aesthetic of the Princes Gate Hotel. We hope to see you again and that your next stay with us is not another few years away. Regards, Brett Marvelly (Owner)
Reviewed 15 January 2011

We made the big mistake of going for the High Tea at the Princes Gate. As previous reviewers have stated the website presents a wonderful picture of the hotel and of a high tea on the usual three tiered stand with a great selection of sandwiches and cakes. What you get however is a miniature version with a mini scone which was about the size of an old 50 cent piece was accompanied by two huge bowls of cream and jam which took up most of the plate and were totally out of proportion to the size of the scone. The waitress offered a top up but before we could say anything made the point that it was only for the tea. A real rip off, I complained to the hotel but the hotel management don't seem interested in listening and addressing problems. We paid 100 dollars for two small plates of food.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank HIghteafan
PrincesGateHotel, Owner at Princes Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
As to your feedback, please find the following explanation. I leave this up to Tripadvisor readers to make up their own opinions. Firstly high tea is a very old tradition dating back over 100 years. The concept of high tea was never to be had as a meal. It was designed as something fine for the ladies to have prior to dinner. I make this point so as people can know that it is not a substitute for lunch or dinner. In regards to the comment that the high tea at the Princes Gate Hotel is expensive, it certainly isn't and I will break down the cost so as to leave for future reference, the quality and value of our high tea. Having partaken in high tea at the likes of Claridges in london which equated to something around $90NZpp and the Plaza in New York at around $80NZpp, it certainly puts our price in a league of it's own. We at the Princes Gate Hotel serve approximately 10,000 high teas a year, and to be honest, probably 99% of those people are extremely happy with not only the food but the surroundings and service, which, as what high tea is all about, is the overall experience. In regards to our costings, $22.00 includes GST (15% or $3.30). We offer a selection of tea which is an endless pot. We look at this as $4.00. The high tea has a selection of 4 sandwiches @ $1.50 each. Take off the scone, the butterfly cake and 1 other chefs selection and you cost these at $3.00 each we are in debit by $0.30. I trust the above explains not only the concept, but the value of our high tea and also the overriding picture of high tea in general.

Kind regards, Brett Marvelly (Owner 25 years).