“The perfect accommodation in Rotorua”

Accolade Lodge Motel
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 2 September 2013

First of all, there are tons of motels/hotels in Rotorua, but I'm so glad I selected this one. I made reservations for three nights, and returned for two additional nights later on because there are so many things to do in Rotorua. Victoria Street is just off the main road in a nice, quiet neighborhood, so traffic is lighter around the motel.

I stayed in Room #10, which was really spacious and included a comfy queen bed; chair with ottoman; narrow glass top desk perfect for a laptop; tiny kitchen area with sink, microwave and small fridge; bathroom with narrow shelving for toiletries and shower stall that had good water pressure. Room heater was on the blink so I called reception and the owner, Mark, came right up to check on it. He switched it out for one that worked perfectly for the duration of my stay. The bed was comfortable with a heating element under the sheets that really kept me warm during the chilly winter nights. Free parking available too. I stayed in Room #6 when I returned. Though slightly smaller, it was still perfect for my needs.

Continental breakfast was free (though there's a sign that says it's $7); Zenbu wifi was free, very fast, and reliable, and if you need more time on the internet, you can pick up more vouchers from the reception desk; laundry and dryer are available with laundry soap for a small fee.

Right across the street is the Rotorua Central Mall that was still under construction when I visited. However, there's a Countdown grocery store and spacious food court (Chinese, Indian, Thai, Japanese, Subway, coffee shop). Walk through the mall and you'll reach the city centre with interesting shops and restaurants (many of which open at 5 p.m.). Also, when you exit the mall, to the left is Columbus Coffee (yellow sign) where you can relax with sweet eats and hot beverages; nice atmosphere in which to chill.

In the motel's breakfast area, there's a table covered with brochures for activities, eateries and restaurants, perfectly geared for visitors. More importantly, Mark the owner, and Lance with whom I spoke for hours, offered lots of information on what to do and where to eat. Lance suggested Oppie's Fish & Chips, voted Best Chip Shop in 2011, and the fish and chips were indeed delicious! Note: In New Zealand, Chinese restaurants also sell fish and chips; that was news for me!

As a female traveler traveling alone, I felt really comfortable and at home at Accolade. It was central to all activities that I experienced while there, and best of all, the people were so friendly and helpful. I felt like I was being welcomed home by family each day.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sarah808

Reviewed 10 July 2013

We cannot recommend this motel enough. The staff were incredibly helpful, giving great advice on things to do and vouchers to get money off. The room was brilliant! Comfortable bed (with electric blanket under the sheet - a wonderful and much appreciated touch in this New Zealand winter). A clean bathroom, with plenty of hot water, and a great little kitchenette. The wifi was free and fast. There was also free parking, The motel is really central to everything we wanted to do.
Great value for money - would stay again in a heartbeat. We can only hope the rest of the motels we stay at while in New Zealand are up to this standard!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Fantastic experience! not one thing to complaint about!
Very nice people who help with everything
Mark (the owner) and everyone working there were extremely nice and helpful
Besides,they gave me a bicycle for free so that i could go to Te Puia (only 10 mins cycle)
And bicycles are quite expensive to rent in rotorua
The location is great
Very close to the centre of the city with so many places to eat in
Breakfast was good too
Plus the hotel nicely provided me with a towel so that i didn't have to pay for one rented in Polonesyan spa (also, like 15-20 min. walk in there)
Cleaning service was good too, no complaints

Room Tip: I was in room 9. 2nd floor, no problem, quiet. I slept 13 hours the first night in there
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed four nights - 19/6, 20/6, 21/6 & 22/6 - made very welcome on arrival by Lance at reception who was also helpful with tips on the district attractions. Mark (the owner) promotes Rotorua with enthusiasm - his knowledge of Rotorua, Tauranga and Hamilton made it easy for my travels.

The premises are a typical older motel, cosy and warm rooms, comfortable beds, kitchenette, compact bathrooms - easy parking - just right for travellers on the move. The continental breakfast is a good way to start the day before a busy day of sightseeing.

Across the road to a large supermarket to purchase any essentials, close to the CBD - maybe a 10 minute walk if you don't feel like driving.

Part of my excellent review is for the friendliness and help at all times by Mark and Lance - thanks.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have adjacent car parks - makes luggage handling easier
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We had a terrific stay at the Accolade last week. The staff person was very helpful and knowledgeable. He helped us call the airport regarding our lost luggage. The room was clean and plenty spacious. We enjoyed a very nice and filling continental breakfast in the morning before departing for the Thermal Wonderland. We highly recommend the Accolade for anyone staying in Rotorua. It was a great value and a great experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We had booked for a small room but were upgraded to a two roomed apartment. We couldn't believe our luck. It was really spacious and we had paid a very good price for what was supposed to be the smaller room. The owner and his wife were really friendly and couldn't do enough to help us. There was a good display board with the weather forecast and recommendations of things to do in Rotorua. Breakfast and newspapers were included in the cost too - amazing. The apartment was clean and well equipped. The only minus was that the electrical equipment (Apart from the TV) was pretty ancient but worked. The communal area had free computers and free bike hire and a TV with loads of channels- excellent and there was a kitchen with full cooker to use if we wanted it. The communal area was clean but in need of a refurb but overall you can't fault this place for value for money and if you are looking for a clean place with very reasonable rates and excellent service then this place is the one to go for. The motel was within 10-15 mins walk of the centre of Rotorua and the nearest restaurant was about 5 mins walk away.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Comberwoman
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My daughter and I stayed 3 nights and found all the staff very warm,friendly and helpful. The room was perfect,lovely and clean with everything you need. The beds were warm and comfortable,free Wifi and newspaper (nice touch) We really enjoyed our stay and would not hesitiate to stay at the Accolade Lodge motel in the near future and recommend this Motel to others. Great location in the heart of the city. Big thumbs up!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family