“Brilliant service”

Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #32 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed two nights at the Distinction hotel in Rotorua and were overwhelmed with the great service. The room was very comfortable. The bar is very well presented and the pools/spas are great. The smiley staff are very helpful and make you feel welcome.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JarrodNancarrow
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello JarrodNancarrow, thank you, it’s so great to hear you have enjoyed your time at our hotel and have also got to use the facilities we have available. To hear about our great service and smiley staff is fantastic as a Manager, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was the second time my partner and I have stayed at Distinction Rotorua and I would stay there again, given another trip. You get a sense of old fashioned luxury as you walk in through the entrance door. The child in me absolutely insists on using the large, wooden rotating door every time, even though there are perfectly good, spacious doors to the left and right. The receptionist was friendly and polite, she quickly and easily located all the necessary information for us and sent us on our way to our rooms.

We stayed on the top floor both times, which meant we got a cute little balcony. On the first trip we were looking across to the ranges and second above a section of building and the pool. We were a bit worried the noise from the pool would travel up to our room but found that we didn't notice it once. The room was tidy and well presented, with good heating and adequate bathroom facilities. There is plenty of room for storage if you are planning on a long stay (read: a week).

When I had booked they offered a special deal that included a bottle of wine and breakfast each day. The full continental breakfast was absolutely delicious and if you are a breakfast person you definitely don't want to miss out.

On the night we arrived we decided to get dinner in the hotel, thinking that something simple would suffice. Somewhere along the way we missed simple and ended up enjoying a delicious meal at The Pavilion. My partner got the most mouth-wateringly tender steak, while I got the pumpkin gnocchi. Once again the service was lovely and friendly. I would only suggest that the waitress behind the counter not rub her eyes right in front of us.

The heated pool and spa pool amenities were enjoyed to the fullest extent. Actually, I found the cave style spa pools to be quite neat but a bit hot for my personal liking. . You are supplied bathrobes in your room and these became our shields against the biting cold weather. If you do go in winter be aware there aren't many dry places to leave your towel... so maybe take something to put them in.

The only set back that really got to me in the slightest was the 45 minutes it took for room service to arrive. This was for a platter of cheese, bread and the like. To be fair I think they used par-baked bread rolls that were baked fully at the time of order. However, had I known the time it took I might have ordered a bit sooner as we had planned it as an entree before going out. I forgave them when I started eating though.

All in all (and to finish this novel) I would recommend Distinction Rotorua to anyone who asked. It was a combination of good service, great food and wonderful atmosphere.

Room Tip: I found the deluxe/deluxe king rooms to be great value for money. Your guaranteed a little balcony i...
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Greetings Bronnix, reading such a review really makes you smile as a Manager. Yes there are always was to improve and we have taken on board your comments. But how wonderful that you really enjoyed so many aspects and facilities of our hotel. The heated pool, private Grottos, Pavilion Café & Restaurant, Kowhai Restaurant and D Bar. There really is something for everyone. We hope you can visit again soon !!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Fantastic service, spacious room and great breakfast which was included in the price. Really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant and friendly service from the bar staff. I will certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor by a side street it was still very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Lesleysime, thanks so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review – I’ll make sure the team see it. Hope you got to enjoy the heated pool also. See you next time. Cheers

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our stay was so comfortable that instead of our original 3 nights, we extended for 5. The staff are friendly and generous. When we arrived they couldn't find our booking for a couple of minutes and so upgraded us for our entire stay. The high tea was delicious, the coffee is great and the japanese restaurant is yummy and value for money. What a great experience - wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2014

And we loved having you to RaquelGrammat. So fabulous to here you extended your stay for two extra nights, I hope your time was relaxing, the weather a little chilly at this time of year, however, the heated pool and Jacuzzi would have warmed you up. We look forward to your return !!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having been recommended this hotel, I was really excited to finally have a chance to stay there.

The hotel looks impressive, friendly stuff, clean rooms and great hot pool/spas area.

But for me it all didn't matter as much after 2 night of having very little sleep. The offender - super hard and uncomfortable bed, very weirdly shaped long uncomfortable pillows and bed spread that seemed very outdated. We even asked for a second duvet the second night we stayed, but after all the efforts of trying to explain what is it exactly that we want and that the itchy throw in the cupboard would not do... we were given another coverlet and not the actual duvet (which by the way are not in the duvet covers either).

I am a bit picky about my bedding situation, but from the hotel of this level, I have expected a bit more than that.

But if you don't mind the bed, I highly recommend the hotel for a nice weekend away in Rotorua. You won't see me there though, I'll be staying in a different hotel with comfy beds and covered duvets (there is one literally across the road that I know of for sure).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hi anastasia_st really sad to hear about your experience with your bed, linen & pillows, our apologies it wasn’t as comfortable as our other guests experience. Pleasing to hear that that the staff were friendly and the rooms clean, and it sounds like you enjoyed the jacquzzi, pool and grottos.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

we stayed here for 1 night. this was our 3rd trip to rotorua & 1st time we tayed here. very nice hotel. we had free brekfast & also free wine on arrival. we enjoyed lot.big clean room. has bath tub in bathroom which was nice for relaxation. will definately come back & also will suggest freind & family to go here. thank you

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Greetings Nicolas M of Wellington, thank you for taking the time to place a review of your recent stay at Distinction Rotorua. I am very pleased you had a fantastic time. We have many different deals and packages so keep an eye on our website for deals coming through, we look forward to having you come back & visit us.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were in Rotorua for a sports competition and booked this hotel as a friend we were staying with recommended it, they have been here several times in the past. There were four families in total taking up 5 rooms, all next door to each other which was great. The staff were fantastic at all times, extremely helpful and informative. The rooms were good, not particularly modern but comfortable and clean. The pools were great for the children, and plenty of restaurant options. There were quite a few of us for dinner one night and the staff were great with accommodating all of us, the food was great and the service very friendly and efficient. We had two people with Coeliac Disease in the group and the chef was extremely helpful with advising which options would be suitable. We had the family package which included buffet breakfast each morning and the children ate at the restaurants for free. The hotel has a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere which contributed to our great weekend away. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thanks Kiwipoms, for taking the time to place this comment. We loved having you all. I heard the sports competition went very well. It’s great to hear the Chef’s worked with you to cater correctly to everyone needs. And Brilliant that the kids regularly used all the pool facilities. We hope to see you all again soon….

Oh how did the kids go with twister?