“Very average...”

Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
“Very average...”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Brought a grabone mystery deal. Location was bit far from cbd.. too far to walk. I did'nt feel safe parking my car in their open carpark overnight. Rooms were dated and not overly clean. Beds we so soft they moved out from the wall when you sat on them. No air con. Heater in the wall was too efficient and cranked out so much heat even after turning it to the lowest point we were sweating all night and slept without the sheet in the middle of winter.

Pool was dirty as were the creepy grotto things.. not friendly at all for disabled people or even people who would struggle with small places.

Would not recommend people to stay here and i will not return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travellingkiwiabroad
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Kia Ora travellingkiwiaboard. Were sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. The CBD is just a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel down the main road, there are also local buses that circle past every half an hour to assist with transporting people if they do not wish to use their vehicles. Just so you know our car park does have lighting and surveillance camera working, plus we have night time security doing checks.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We recently stayed in winter at the Distinction. We got a great price/special and it suited us perfectly. We ate at Mr Yakitori and had a lovely meal. The room was perfect for a couple and our 4 year old. We went into the hot pools and loved the little grotto spa pools. Our room was clean, warm and cosy. Our bathroom had a bath which is always great with kids.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan H
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Kia Ora Susan H, thank you for your recent stay at Distinction Rotorua with your family. Even in the middle of winter our outdoor heated pool and Jacuzzi can still entertain and the private grotto spas some with waterfalls can provide get relaxation. Glad you enjoyed Mr Yakitori and I trust you enjoyed the Extensive buffet breakfast in our Kowhai restaurant. We hope you’ll come and visit us again soon.
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My partner and I recently stayed here for our 2nd time and stayed 3 nights in one of the deluxe super king rooms. The room had a lot of space and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were amazingly friendly and went out of their way to help. We ate at Mr Yakitori, had high tea at The Pavillion and breakfast each morning at the main restaurant- all were brilliant, particularly Mr Yakitori for a light (and cheap) dinner. The pools are lovely- we always had the whole place to ourselves. We had a car because it is a little way out from the main town. Overall we had a great stay and will return here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate2626
Greetings Kate2626, Wonderful that you could visit us again. And pleasing to hear that your stay was enjoyable and you got to enjoy just about every restaurant plus the outdoor heated pool and Jacuzzi. Fantastic that the staff were there to assist where ever needed. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Rotorua.
New Zealand
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I had two nights at Rotorua Distinction as I had a conference to attend. The room was very disappointing with no heating, only a little ancient fan heater- quite unacceptable in the middle of winter! I did complain and was kindly offered an upgrade; this room had modern wall paneled heaters which worked properly. Surely all rooms should have adequate wall/ central heating. The spa and pool were very nice ( I didn't use the grotto spas). The gym certainly needs some attention to ensure that all equipment works safely and smoothly; the rowing machine's seat would not even move. The running machine worked, although it was very basic and could do with an upgrade. The D Bar was very nice with a good happy hour ($5 drinks).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Kia Ora Iaibale you are correct and yes all rooms should a have adequate heating ,the unit in the room your were first assigned was fixed the next day. In regards to the gym equipment, again we have had our maintenance team go over the items. You are correct we do not have the most up to date equipment, but we do not advertise ourselves as a gym facility, most who are keen exercise people will use our local terrain for their running, the Redwoods, just down the road offers many paths for all levels and Rotorua has all the major Gym’s for those that have memberships.
Were pleased you enjoyed the happy which we run each and every night and do hope you got to enjoy one of our four restaurants and bars for dining with such array on offer there’s something for everyone.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel last weekend for two nights and had an absolutely fantastic time. The highlights of our stay include:
1. Very friendly staff - right from the very pleasant lady who checked us in on Friday evening, to the restaurant staff and porters were an absolute pleasure to deal with. Always had a welcoming smile on their faces every single time we happened to make eye contact with any of them and we didn't have to take no for an answer to any of our requests. They even agreed to heat up our takeaway food that we had bought before checking in as we were too tired to leave our room for dinner.
2. Outdoor heated pool, jacuzzi and grotto spas are a great place to hang out. There's a real 'cave' feel to the spas and that makes for a very unique experience. Couple of the spas even have their own little waterfall!
3. Buffet breakfast was great with plenty of variety..even though I could've done with a chocolate croissant :-)
4. Plenty of parking which is well lit throughout the night reducing the likelihood of theft. The car park is to one side of the hotel, which can take longer to get to than you'd expect, but there's valet parking available.
5. Clean rooms and bathrooms. The beds were very comfortable and good sized. The room was done up tastefully and was generally a good place to be after a tiring day exploring the various attractions.
6. Quiet rooms, free from any noise from neighbours or the hotel surroundings. There was a great view from our Level 4 room looking out to the pool/golf course.

A few things that could be improved are:
1. The grotto spas could do with a bit of forced ventilation. The air can get quite humid and steamy.
2. Personally, I don't really mind shower over baths (although I'd prefer them to be separate), but the shower heads could do with an upgrade to ensure they provide good water pressure and are easy to adjust. Also, the knob to direct water flow to the shower or bath was somewhat temperamental.
3. At least one non-vegetarian option in the buffet breakfast should be chicken based (e.g. chicken sausages) to accommodate dietary requirements for all cultures. We had to stick to the vegetarian options (of which there were quite a few) as we don't eat pork or beef.
4. The changing room near the swimming pool should be avoided as it's not up to the mark. To be fair though, one doesn't really need to use it.

That's about it really. For the price and value on offer, it's highly recommended. Once again, a special shout out to the friendly staff as that's something that usually makes or breaks an experience.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors as the rooms there overlooking Fenton street have a pleasing view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank P B
Greetings P B,
I appreciate your comments above. It’s absolutely brilliant to hear you have enjoyed your stayed and I do appreciate your feedback on areas we can improve. Without a lie I have quotes for showerhead replacement and will be auctioning that very shortly, the architect has delivered plans for us to tidy up the changing room area, we are just trying to schedule in the best time and I have organised a meeting with my Chef to discuss chicken sausages as your point is very valid. The only concern I am unable to provide a result on is the ventilation in the grotto’s, which I will forward for discussion to the owner. Your comments on our team are really pleasing to hear and I will make sure they get to view – Thank You. We do look forward to having you come & stay again sometime soon.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Very friendly staff, I arrived to the hotel before check in on the off chance that my room was ready however it wasn't but they took my bags and had them in my room for when I returned later in the day. The room was very dated the carpet next to the bathroom had a half inch gap and overall looked tired. Bathroom was clean but again needed updating, the bath had a couple of stray hairs and the showerhead was very grotty. The bedside lamp didn't work which I really could have done with as I was staying with a 10 week old baby and had to use the light off my phone to walk round the room. Breakfast was lovely, the restaurant staff were plesant and helpful. Room service too was excellent. Nice quiet location, still handy to everywhere.

• Stayed August 2014
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hello dawnie3883, thank you for staying with us recently. It seems many items in your room were not up to standard and I will be rectifying them all, with the team. I’m pleased to hear however that the staff were great and you enjoyed the breakfast restaurant and room service. We do hope you got to enjoy the pool facilities as well during your stay and hope you shall return for us to deliver on “non dated” accommodation rooms for you.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Yuk Not Recommended. Had to attend a much awaited Herbalife 3-day conference with many distributors attending.I stayed 3 days and had a wheelchair access room for my cousin who had been in a wheelchair for 4 and a half years and was now slowly walking without a wheelchair, but uses a walker.
The room was very skinny. The shower was OK but was very poor- to -NO -ventilation in the shower at all.
The spa pools promised much, but in reality were VERY USER- UN-FRIENDLY and VERY DIFFICULT to get into and out off.Built very low for small people. With access to the spa grotto ( it was called ) by negotiating very difficult stairs. The spa pools were too low, and totally unusable by any disabled person, which was a disappointment. They were poorly ventilated too, and of poor design and horriblly claustriphobic as caves, with dowdy, shoddy painting. YUK
The conference rooms were boring, dull, and very outdated. Lucky for me the actual speakers in my conference were great and helped distract me from the dreadful hotel. I Do Not Recommend this hotel and wish we go back to The Millenium Hotel which we have used in the past , for other Herbalife Conferences. I found this Distinction Hotel very disjointed with no forseeable feng shui and restaurants and bar not visually appealing, Nor welcoming. YUK is the best description.Service kinda poor.NOT FUN.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alezix H
DistinctionHotels, General Manager at Distinction Rotorua Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Kia Ora Alezix H, I am sorry you did not enjoy your time at our hotel recently. You are right the grotto spas would have been an issue for your cousin with his disability, they were designed not modern but rustic with a cave like atmosphere, small and secluded, with privacy in mind. However the outdoor heated pool and Jacuzzi would have been easily accessible for your cousin to manoeuvre in and out of and we hope he got to enjoy some relaxing time in our garden setting.