“Nice room. Dinner was marginal and pricey.”

Millennium Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #22 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Springfield, Missouri
“Nice room. Dinner was marginal and pricey.”
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My family of four stayed just one night. The rooms were fine, but we were disappointed in the dinner. Our total bill was pushing $200 and each one of us ordered something different. All four meals were just so-so. The highlight was the garlic toast appetizer...

Our waitress was friendly, but she disappeared before we finished so I had to find someone at the register so we could pay for our meal! The cashier said our waitress was "on a break." Very odd...

The breakfast buffet was just okay as well. The pancakes were cold, but the rest of the food was fine. The chef came out twice to refill the buffet items and she had a terrible cough -- not too appealing for a food preparer and server!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2011

After reading the reviews for the hotel on TripAdvisor, I was a little apprehensive about my upcoming work conference which would see me stay at the hotel. I was relieved to find the hotel to be a wonderful base for the conference and Rotorua in general.

My room was clean, comfortable and what you would expect from most 4* properties (I think the extra half star may be a little generous given the 'finish' of the hotel. I had a Club room (level 5) and an amazing view of the lake from my balcony. I doubt I would have enjoyed the stay nearly as much if I was in a room with a poor view / no balcony.

Things that were good:
-Warm and efficient check in
-Club continental breakfast and evening canapes lovely
-Good location
-Clean well presented rooms
-Affordable minibar
-Lovely bathroom
-Well presented hotel
-Most staff very helpful and professional when needed
-Excellent conference venue
-Effective climate control

Things that could improve
-Lack of wi-fi throughout the hotel
-Only one entry/exit from a rather large complex
-Thread count of linen was quite low
-Beds could be a lot firmer. The matress felt well used.
-One particular staff member who wasn't particularly helpful at reception

Room Tip: Ask for lake views and book a Club room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank aussieboy85
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This is my first review and provides an opportunity to thank the wonderful staff at the Millennium Hotel Rotorua. I stayed for five nights and enjoyed each one. My room was comfortable and had all the necessities, any queries and/or requests were promptly addressed and the staff were friendly, patient and polite. I'll be sure to stay at the Millennium on my next visit to Rotorua and would recommend the hotel to friends, family and colleagues.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MissJane072
Raglan
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Really good hotel. Friendly and clean. The spa pools and swimming pool were awesome and the shower in the room just the best. I'm definately coming back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank debbied4763
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 2 February 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I appreciate receiving your feeback as this is the best way to ascertain our standards of comfort and service.
Elizabethton, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 June 2011

The hotel was nice - room was clean and quiet. I liked the location, and the ample parking available. The hotel does appear to have aged a little, but overall I thought it was a good value for the price.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TennTux
Auckland
Reviewed 8 June 2011

Stayed 1 night over Queens Birthday and had an enjoyable stay. Room was what I expected, slightly dated but I believe I was staying in the older part of the hotel. Location was great, just a 2 minute walk to the Polynesian spa! Staff were very welcoming and friendly and the price was very good! Would stay there again next time I visit Rotorua.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
New Zealand
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I decided to stay at the Millennium for the first time just to see
My room was a King Superior, well the name was the only good sounding thing about it
The overall service from the staff was excellent however that was only good part about my stay.
The room was small with inadequate lighting so if you wanted to do any work on the desk supplied you would have strained your eyes to see
No in-room internet connection which is crazy considering most accommodation has either cable or wireless connection available in your room
i had to take my laptop and sit out in the cold reception lobby so i could get wireless internet and to be charged $29.95 for 100mb is daylight robbery considering the going rate in other 5 star hotels is $29.95 for 500mb
so after my ordeal i decided needed a cup of tea to calm me down only to find that there nearest power point to plug the jug in was located in the bathroom ????
The following morning i decided to use the GYM located in the hotel according to the in-room information book only to be told that it no longer exists and that i'm welcome to walk up the road to a city GYM and use there facilities
Breakfast Buffet for $21 well that was left to the imagination
So overall I'm extremely disappointed with services and building
just to give you comparison of accommodation and services available, i can get the following for $149.95
Underground secured car-parking, full sized apartment with king bed, full kitchen, laundry and unlimited internet access for 24hrs IN-ROOM

Room Tip: Check Trip Advisor First
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cyberia_302

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels