“Not a Top Notch Place”

Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Norwich
“Not a Top Notch Place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

The Millennium seemed a place of two halves, a very swanky reception and public area, lots of carved wood but, if our experience was anything to go buy, some very tired guest rooms in dire need of a serious revamp. Our room was allegedly a 'superior' but when I questioned what made it superior was told it was because we looked outwards, rather than onto the inner courtyard. The one chair in the room was an absolute disgrace, the plastic covering was disintegrating and you couldn't sit on it without getting bits of plastic over you, and it took two visits to reception to get it changed.

This wasn't the only Millennium Hotel we stayed in on a lengthy trip to NZ, but this was the worst in terms of decor and standards, but like the others I felt it offered poor value for money, very expensive wi fi once you'd used the free 20 minutes in reception, and a 1.5% surcharge if you paid by credit card, neither very helpful for foreign visitors. I we ever return to NZ I will make a point of avoiding the Millennium chain

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Noosaman
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. All comments have been noted.
Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you felt with your stay. I can advise the refurbishment of our remaining rooms will take place in this quarter and we are looking forward to offering our guests a superior product.
I do hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night over Easter and went for an Executive Club Lounge room. I'd recommend this, as it's a pretty good deal. We had a room on the fifth floor, which looked out on the lake. The deal also includes access to the club lounge. It's not super flash, but is well worth it as it includes continental breakfast and also snacks (cheese and crackers etc) and drinks in the evening. Our only grumble was that we thought the atmosphere of the lounge would be far more pleasant if the volume of the television was turned down and if it was relegated to the far end of the room, as it's central location dominates the lounge.

The room was pleasant and looked to have been recently refurbished, with new carpet and a new bathroom fit out. However, the showerheads are hopeless. I'm not sure if it's some sort of water saving design, but the spray has gaps in it, so that you end up with dry patches!

There is a heated pool, two large spa pools and a sauna. We didn't use the pool, but enjoyed using the spa.

The staff were mostly friendly, however the receptionist on arrival was abrupt. We were greeted with "checking in?", no welcome or good evening. She also told us drinks weren't included in the club lounge. This didn't seem to be the case, as we had a glass of wine each and juice in the morning and did not have any extra charges when we checked out.

The hotel is in a quiet location, away from the main road and next to the Polynesian Spa. It's about a 10 minute walk to the main restaurant area. A solid choice.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I'm pleased you enjoyed the Club Floor, Club Lounge and the Spa facilities. Your suggestion regarding the TV location has been noted, with thanks.
I apologise you were not greeted in a friendly manner by Reception, as is expected when arriving at our hotel. I will be discussing this further with the receptionist concerned.
I do hope the next time you are in Rotorua you will choose to return to stay with us.
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Arrived tired after a drive from Auckland, having had 30 hr flight two days before from the UK to be told that our room wasn't ready and this was at 2:30pm. We decided to have lunch but restaurant only open in the evening. Cafeteria by pool is where we ended up and ordered a burger and sandwich and after many requests to check on why we are waiting after 30mins, 40 mins and an hour, we were told the chef (surely they don't just have the one!) says he's too busy with a party to cater for hotel guests. So, we were tired, hungry, no room and generally not pleased at all.
When we did get our room at 3:30pm, it was pleasant with a good view of the lake. Breakfast was good with a huge choice. Concierge was extremely helpful and recommended very good places to visit and also recommended the Polynesian Spa to help our jet lag, what a fab decision.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for writing with your feedback. Your arrival didn't go well and I apologise for this. I am astonished to read your comments regarding your experience at our poolside café! Please accept my sincere apologies and you can rest assured I will be taking this up with the poolside staff and our Executive Chef. We certainly do cater for our guests at all times, including being able to offer lunch at Cha Bar.
I'm pleased however, once you got to your room, it appears the rest of your stay was a pleasant one.
Enjoy the rest of your time in New Zealand.
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We spent 1 night here over Easter, as the hotel was fully booked. At $215 per night, we expected a little more. We had a Twin Lakeview Room which was quite a trek from the reception but in a quieter area of the hotel. Staff were friendly enough but did not give any information voluntarily - I had to ask for breakfast times and prices ($28 per person); the location of the pool/spa area; a map of the town; check out time etc. The spa was broken which was disappointing at that price. We stayed somewhere else the night before and their was broken too but at least they gave us a discount voucher for the Polynesian Spa - no such luck here. Disappointing. Our room was very small with a tiny wardrobe and room only to put 1 single suitcase. The balcony had nice views but nowhere to sit at all and enjoy the view. Any type of chair would have been appreciated. The cover of the chair in the room was split and the shower was disgraceful. The water pressure was none existent and the shower head had so few holes that I could barely rinse the shampoo from my hear. Our TV remote didn't work. It was all just not good enough at that price. Soundproofing is quite bad too, so we heard the people next door and the people on the floor above waling around. Walking through the hotel, you could hear music and TV sounds quite loudly from the rooms, so stay at peak times at your own peril. Staying anywhere near the pool would be a nightmare, as they played loud disco music. The pool area is closed every night too for a couple of hours for the show they put on.
Overall not a place to go back to.

Room Tip: Stay on higher floors at the back of the hotel for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write with your feedback. I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. We always strive to offer the best possible experience for our guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing stay you had with us. I am able to advise we have a room refurbishment approved for this quarter, and we're looking forward to finishing the upgrade to the reminder of our rooms.
I have spoken to the poolside staff and can assure you loud disco music won't be played again!
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Fantastic location, good service, the Maori evening we booked through the hotel was surprisingly good and the buffet was exceptional.

The iron in our room was broken and there was no safe so this was a little annoying but other than that a great trip. Thank you for having us!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Lauren T.
Thank you so much for posting your review following your stay back in March and for recommending the Maori evening show and buffet - I will pass your feedback on to our cultural group.
We have safes in all our rooms so I will investigate why you didn't have one in yours - thanks for advising me.
Next time you're in Rotorua, I do hope you will choose to return to the Millennium.
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Booked for 3 nights, by phone the day before arrival to ensure Wotif price match, no booking when we checked in. Receptionist was quite helpful, booked room at original agreed price. Nice room, lake view, comfy King bed. Wondered why husband laughing when he had a shower, he was incredulous at the shower head...limited number of pin-size holes set quite a way apart, resulting in the need to actually move around under the shower to even get wet!
Hotel in good location to walk to restaurants, shops etc. Recommend if you prefer having a bath!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Adrienne

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay despite the shower head. I have asked our maintenance team to take a look, and by the sounds of your description, replace the showerhead. My apologies you didn't get a decent shower during your stay.
Church Gresley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was my second stay in 6 months, it was nice to come back to the Millennium Rotorua again, just the same friendly service, just the same great room. Again, I still implore with this hotel chain to provide free WiFi for its guests... The hotel was just as busy in season as it had been last time I stayed out of season. Local shops, eateries and walks on the doorstep. Housekeeping are very attentive. I'll be doing a third stay next year !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Iain H.
Thank you for your positive feedback. I'm happy your return stay with us meet your expectations a second time.
Your comments regarding free wifi are noted. We do offer 20 minutes free wifi in our lobby area which is appreciated by many who want to quickly check their emails.

Look forward to welcoming you back next year!