“Family mini break”

Millennium Hotel Rotorua
Ranked #24 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
“Family mini break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed the first weekend of the school holidays. Scored a great deal, paying $80 per night in a twin room for 2 adults & 2 kids. This was definitely value for money and the third time we have stayed here. The hotel is great for a short break, but agree with many other reviewers about some parts of the hotel looking tired. The shower also fluctuated a lot in temperature which was annoying. Location is great, kids loved the heated pool while we also enjoyed soaking in the spas. We will be back again as long as the Millennium continues to have great specials for families.

1 Thank Kiwimumx1
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Kiwimum
Thank you for your positive feedback. I'm pleased you secured a great deal and enjoyed the hotel facilities.
I can advise the hotel is currently undergoing a refurbishment, including brand new beds, fresh modern room decor, lobby furniture and showerheads.
We hope to be able to welcome you back some time in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked this hotel based on its proximity to the polynesian spas and the fact that it had a heated indoor pool.my three daughters and i set off from Auckland for the 3 hour drive and arrived after a nice drive down,the room was two king sized beds in a good sized room with a clean en suite.
We decided to go down to the pool two floors down but found no gown to go down in,i rang reception and was told they didnt have any gowns and she was quite blunt.one of the spotlights was blinking so a porter came to fix it,i told him as feedback that the hotel should have gowns for the pool only to be told they did supply them,just not in some floors! Honestly its not good enough and makes for lack of guest comfort,4 gowns and slippers arrived the following day but the bother over them kind of ruined the stay which is a pity as we picked the milleneum for the pool.the redeeming act came the morning of checking out with a $40 breakfast voucher under our door.for $460 for two nights for one room,i must say i was disappointed,even when we wento the pool,the two heated spa pools were no where in sight.we would not stay again.no wifi either,in this day and age it should be standard.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel and research it first thoroughly.
3 Thank Lisa O
Dear Lisa
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor. I was very disappointed to read your comments. Please accept my sincere apologies that your request for bathrobes was not actioned in a polite and efficient manner. Rest assured I will be discussing this with the Front Office staff.
I'm sorry you didn't locate the two heated spa pools which are in The Spa centre and were well used during the school holidays.
We have recently renegotiated our WIFI & Broadband contract and I'm pleased to advise pricing has been reduced significantly.
I would appreciate the opportunity of discussing your stay further. If you wish to discuss please call me on 07 347 1234.
regards Pipiana Whiston, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Accompanied hubby on a conference and couldn't believe how crap this place was.
There was no proper lighting in the bedroom just 3 lamps. Terrible for trying to iron clothing or put on make up.
Heating system sounded like a jet engine when turned on so we opted for more blankets instead so we could sleep peacefully (by extra blankets I mean 3 of them)
Worst shower possible that sprayed everywhere with very little hitting the actual person. Height of shower head placed for hobbit height people (I am only 159cm the highest the water could hit me was on my chest). Very thin high pressure water jets thAt were so strong they went through the shower curtain.
No fan in bathroom and mould on ceiling.
3 Tv channels didn't even work

Food is appalling and I would definitely go else where
So is service at bar area. Waited 5 mins at unattended bar then asked 2 staff who couldn't serve, then waited another 10 for the only person who could serve to come back. Ordered platter and drink. Platter came with different food on it and had to remind staff about drink which still took another 10mins to arrive. This is all at a quiet bar during lunch period. Food also disgusting, chicken satay skewers turn out to be durkka chicken skewers of the toughest chicken ever encountered.

I could go on but you get the picture.

Old, dated, run down, grubby hotel with terrible food and general service. Even the room key was dirty. All light switches need cleaning. Common area toilet door locks filthy.

On a positive note, the spa ladies are lovely and the concierge was very friendly and helpful. Pity about everything else!

Room Tip: We stayed on the entrance level floor overlooking a inner courtyard. Those who liked staying here s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monkitalian
Cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Americans looking for a getaway to warm up and have a comfortable overnight stay during cold wet NZ winter. Thought from my research this would be a little more luxurious than it was. Room was smaller than I expected, appointments a little worn appearing, but bed was comfortable and room was warm. Bathroom was excellent, although shower head a little unpredictable. View from concrete porch was mainly of Polynesian Spa. The mini-bar in the room reminded me of the old days in U.S... about $32 NZD for 4 drinks (not just for me!). Went to the Zazu bar for glass of wine, which had a nice atmosphere and comfortable seating, but the music was a little loud to talk over. Occasionally there was singing and shouting from somewhere in the hotel--there is a Maori show done in the pool on saturday nights. Breakfast was offered at $18 pp, but we did not go. Internet policy was a little difficult to understand -- we thought we purchased 24 hours but based on GB usage, ours stopped around 10 pm, maybe we had very high usage as we were trying to watch a movie on netflix. Internet cost about $20 nzd. I can commend the staff on being extremely friendly, professional, and helpful. The location was good, slightly off of Fenton so you are not right in the middle of the "strip."

2 Thank Heather M
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and trust the rest of your holiday in New Zealand was enjoyable.
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The service and staff in this hotel are great.
The room on the 4th floor was spacious and had a good view over the lake.
However, the décor is very dated, the maintenance of functional items is very poor.
I will say that light bulbs weren't working, net curtains were torn and generally the public areas looked very run down.
This is not a hotel that we had value for money

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Pipiana W, General Manager at Millennium Hotel Rotorua, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Nick
Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased you received great service from our staff.
However, please accept my sincere apologies that your room did not meet your expectations and also that our staff did not report the missing light bulbs and the torn net. I will be addressing this with the housekeeping and maintenance teams and appreciate you highlighting these problems.

I can advise we are currently underway with the refurbishment of the balance of our guest rooms. The refurbishment also includes the lobby area furniture.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Very welcoming ,from the moment of arrival to departure,
Pleasantly upgraded,due to booking problems
Value for money restaurant
Comfortable bar area to relax,and watch the world go by
Reasonably priced for a quality hotel
Recommended

Room Tip: Overlooking the Lake
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Les
I was very happy to read your feedback following your stay over the weekend and I'm pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope we'll be able to welcome you back one day soon.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

We took bus from Auckland and get off the bus in the information center. This hotel is walking distance from the information center, very convenient. We stayed there for 3 nights. This hotel looks like Japanese building. We stayed in a room with balcony and the beds are very big enough and comfortable. TV is LCD and size is very good. However, wifi services is limited, 20 minutes free at lobby only. There is also no slippers and tooth brush/toothpaste provided, travelers need to be aware of it and bring along with you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. I really do appreciate our guests spending a few minutes to post on Tripadvisor. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
I'm can advise as of today we have been able to renegotiate our WIFI charges. We're happy to be able to offer reduced daily and weekly rates to our guests, as well as continuing the 20 minutes free in the lobby area.
I trust the rent of your holiday in New Zealand is a pleasant one.