“Weekend Break”

Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Hastings, New Zealand
“Weekend Break”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This hotel met our expectations. Room was satisfactory... there were a few small minor maintenance issues but other than that the bed was very comfortable. All staff we dealt with were very friendly. Restaurant was good for breakfast and dinner. There is an early bird special for the buffet dinner and if you are out by 7pm, dinner is only $42 (if you are an Advantage Plus member that means dinner for only $21!!). Clark's bar decor has changed since we last stayed and it is very plush now. We didn't realise Clark's doesn't open until 3pm but restaurant staff were very obliging and willing to let us order a snack and beverage from the restaurant to eat in Clarks. Very relaxed atmosphere there and nice fire. All in all it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We had a street view (as opposed to a lake view) room which was good while the ice skating rink acro...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian S, Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear C3PW

Great to hear you had a relaxing weekend away with us in Rotorua. The changes to the bar are quite significant and we are very proud of our new venue so very pleased you enjoyed it as well. We look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Ian Shipman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a fantastic time at the Novotel Rotorua, very friendly staff, lovely clean room, breakfast was amazing....thanks...look forward to staying again. Even got to have a look at the presidential suite....

Dear Susan F

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Novotel Rotorua, your feedback is important to us. Very pleased to read you had another enjoyable stay with us, we look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were disappointed with the overall cleanliness of the hotel. Carpets were old and had various spots on, the dining room floor was dirty so was the bar's floor. The bath in our room looked old with stains on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Peet Z

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Novotel Rotorua, your feedback is important to us. I do apologise that the cleanliness seems to have been a let down on this occasion, I can assure you that this is not the norm, and will be addressed with the team.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 July 2014

As an Accor member who has previously stayed here, I naturally chose it for an overnight stay. I arrived just before 10 am, a little earlier than I expected. I was greeted by friendly and professional staff who were unflustered by my early arrival & said the room was ready.

The room was clean and comfortable with a fabulous lakeside view. Make sure you ask for that.

However, my experience with the housekeeping staff was less than fabulous. Shortly after entering my room, I used the bathroom. While indisposed in this way, I heard someone unlocking the door to the room and entering without knocking or enquiring, shouting something about pillows before departing shortly afterwards with a cheery "sorry."

About 10 minutes later as I was changing out of my travelling clothes, there was a rapid rapping on my door and before I could answer, the door flew open and there I was in my half-dressed finery. The house keeper apologised and retreated.

I rang reception and explained what had happened, asking if housekeeping could be notified that I had checked in, did not need anything from them and would like to be undisturbed. Reception staff apologised profusely and said that the housekeepers should not enter without knocking and awaiting a response. There followed thumping outside my door and yelling about "early check-in" but the noise eventually subsided.

About twenty minutes later there was more rapping on my door and a loud demand to check the mini-bar. At this point I had had enough and called through the door that the mini-bar was fine and I did not want to be disturbed.

Actually, the mini-bar turned out to be not quite fine. The chocolate had been clearly left out in the sun and was light-struck. I threw it away. When I suggested to reception staff that it might be better to put the chocolate in the fridge (the way the hotel used to do) they said it would make it

Breakfast was great, with a wide variety of choice and a cook who offered to make me whatever I wanted before cooking my eggs almost to perfection. The hotel is close to everything: the lake, the markets, the wonderfully upgraded "eat street" and within walking distance of the museum, the Polynesian pools and so on. But for the prolonged inability to handle a morning check-in, despite prior notification and the light-struck chocolate, this was not a bad stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Peet Z

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Novotel Rotorua, your feedback is important to us. I do apologise some aspects of your stay seems to have been a let down on this occasion, I can assure you that this is not the norm, and will be addressed with the team.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

The Novotel is in a prime location in Rotorua. It is walking distance to the shops and the restaurant and cafe district. There is also a yummy ice cream shop across the road from the hotel. The hotel is a typical Novotel. Clean, comfortable and family friendly. Our rate included free breakfast. There was a wide range of choices at the buffet and it was pleasing to see congee and other Asian condiments served at breakfast. It's unusual to see that in hotels outside Asia. The only thing I would point out is the safe in our room did not work. We were also placed in the disabled access room and the bathroom became very wet when you showered. But these were minor issues and did not negatively impact on our stay here. The free parking on site is also a nice touch.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ian S, Manager at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear YLH01

Thank you for taking the time to comprehensively review the property, feedback such as this is a vital aspect of our business. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the various aspects of our hotel. The buffet is substantial and we are pleased you enjoyed the Asian variety we offer.

Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel located right at the end of the mall where café and restaurants were everywhere. It is called 'Eat Streat'. It is also right at the Lake of Rotorua. View of the lake was great, unfortunately, weather wasn't the greatest whilst we were there, the Lake Queen wasn't operating.
Short walk from the hotel to central city area, by then we had gotten used to the Smell of Sulphate!
Car parking was free and plentiful next to the hotel. Hotel has its own Hot mineral pools, free for guests,. there was a charge for private hot pool though.
Room was nice and modern, fresh and aircon worked well, to keep warm as it was rather cold when we were there.
Breakfast was a little expensive, we opted for a walk into town for that. ( Short walk, very easy, flat)
Check in was easy, no hassle when check out either. Fast and efficient.
Friendly staff, no problem at all, they were all very helpful.
I recommend it to anyone visiting Rotorua.
ps. rate was good too.

Room Tip: Try to ask for the room facing the Lake, this will give a better view.
Dear JonBrisbane

Thank you for taking the time to review the property, feedback such as this is a vital aspect of our business. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the various aspects of our hotel.We look forward to having you back with us when next in beautiful New Zealand.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

From the time we checked in, staff were friendly and attentive. Our room was comfortable, clean and spacious. We had delicious breakfast and it was fresh, with a wide selection. Thank you to all staff, especially Kristen, who made our stay more memorable and enjoyable.

Dear planetwonderer

Thank you for taking the time to review the property, feedback such as this is a vital aspect of our business. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the various aspects of our hotel.Kristen certainly is a huge asset to our team, who will be pleased you enjoyed your time with us.