“I stayed in this hotel many years ago and found it very pleasant.”

Novotel Rotorua Lakeside
Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed in this hotel many years ago and found it very pleasant. Its certainly looking very tired, especially the bathrooms. We had a twin bedded room as we had our two granddaughters with us. The only chair to sit on was a straightbacked dining chair. The beds were very hard, even the girls made comment about them. I had to ask for more towels as there were only two bath towels and two hand towels. Certainly cut down on the toiletries, one shampoo/conditioner combined, two small soaps and a body wash. No shower cap and usual things that are supplied in other hotels. Also no bathrobes. I have to say it did have a lovely view over the lake. The staff were very pleasant. We used the spa facilities but again found the showers and changing area in need of an upgrade. I found the airconditioning very noisy. It is definitely a hotel geared for the tourists - we were booked in by family. We had occasion to eat in the hotel for dinner, opting for the al a carte menu. The children enjoyed their meals but am afraid ours was well below par when they are charging Auckland restaurant prices and not delivery on quality. I ordered garlic prawns to be confronted by about six frozen prawns, couldn't taste much of anything and at $22 for an entree I complained and was informed I could have a desert which I declined and they took the price off the account. I ordered the King salmon which I think was $38 and it was overcooked and served with half raw courgette and some sort of mash, not a very memorable dish. My husband had the curry which again was very average. The waitress was very pleasant . I don't think they get many complaints as tourists probably don't bother. Breakfast again was very disappointing, only fresh pineapple and kiwifruit, slices of dried grapefruit, rest was tinned or stewed fruit. The standard of food is certainly not up to scratch in my opinion considering the prices they charge. I think the vast majority of the restaurant patrons were opting for the buffet at $52 per head. I used to be a member of the Advantage Plus Scheme so used the Accor group of hotels a lot but certainly not impressed with this place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Novotel Rotorua Lakeside

999 - 1,005 of 2,491 reviews

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We did not know exactly what to expect, but we were very pleasantly surprised! As was our experience throughout NZ, the people were extremely friendly; however, the concierge, Lawrence, was amazing. He helped to coordinate our travel and our reservations for Hell's Gate (also amazing, by the way) and was repeatedly exceptional with service throughout our stay. The hotel itself was clean and very close to every amenity - we'd certainly stay again!

1  Thank Nicholas C
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This time, I would like share my experience staying at Novotel Rotorua Lakeside two weeks ago. We reached the hotel in the afternoon after driving from Auckland airport and spending our time in two different attractions nearby earlier. It was quite easy to find as the hotel was located in one of the prime area in town.

Check-in was prompt, the female receptionist was very friendly (a rare find these days) and within 6 minutes, both of me and my wife entered our room which was located in the highest floor. Our room was quite standard in size but both of us were quite amazed with its condition. The hotel's management had done an excellent job in maintaining the room as if they were still in their new condition and combined with lake view, I would rate this particular Novotel property as one of the best ones I had ever stayed in the past.

Breakfast was good as well as they had reasonable food selection and food quality was in the better level. Outdoor parking was ample and there were plenty of good restaurants steps away from the hotel. We really regretted our decision to stay one night in this hotel property as we both really enjoyed our stay : We truly believe we would love to extend our stay but we realize we couldn't do it this time so this time, we both had a good reason to visit New Zealand again one day in the near future and definitely, this hotel would be listed in top of our priority to visit.

Honestly, I would love to give a five stars' rating for this particular property but I realize that no Novotel hotels worldwide bears this rating. Therefore, in order to keep my review as objectively as possible, I would maintain a four stars' rating with a good note that this hotel really deserves to be rated in a higher level of "genuine" four stars' hotel. Therefore, I personally recommend this hotel to everyone who is looking for quality hotel to stay in their next trip to Rotorua.

With its reasonable nightly rate, this hotel is one of the best options someone should consider to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room in higher floor facing the lake
2  Thank Bambang S
Reviewed 12 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jrad_C
Reviewed 8 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Lobby was impressive and service was good. Had a good room, clean and was quiet. TV reception was not clear though. Breakfast was nice but some free range options would make it a lot better. Hot pools

Reviewed 7 August 2014