“Best location in Rotorua”

Novotel Rotorua Lakeside
Ranked #19 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland, New Zealand
“Best location in Rotorua”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

The Novotels location is second to none , located by the lake and next to a pedestrian street of restaurants we found walking around Rotorua easy.

We stayed in room 118 with no views to speak of but had two queen beds in a modern and clean room.

The swimming pool was small but functional and the gym was useful if you wanted to do cardio but the weights and equipment were average.

Clarkes bar was good with a pool table that kept my 2 teenagers occupied . Prices were not too high and they had a good range of hot bar snacks.

We had breakfast at 9.40 and found it average to be blunt. The bacon was cold and the selection of hot food was not what you would expect at a 4 star hotel.

They did have lots of fresh fruit and also has Miso soup and rice to cater for asian people

We paid $89.40 for the room which was a September special and found it to be excellant value at that price.

The hotel attracts lots of groups but it was run professionally and i would reccomend it to all types of travellers

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank KiwiR0b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland
Reviewed 17 September 2009

It was a nice Hotel to start off with. Marvellous location, nice bed, with LCD TV and everything but the bathroom looks like a 2.5 to 3-stars Hotel quality with shower/bathtub all-in-one plus there are outrageously lots of rust, very much visible on the drain plate, and the rack for towel. The bathtub doesn't look like something you can have a bath in as the drain looks so disgustingly dirty and rusty. Please bare in mind that this is a lakeview room. Hence, the bathroom was a huge, huge disappointment for a 4-star Hotel.

The buffet breakfast was just ok, no big deal and nothing fancy like that. Food doesn't look as fresh and the French toast are all soggy and wet. Didn't try the dinner though since we've been discouraged by their breakfast. To make things worse, I was having headache on my first day and asked for one or 2 panadols but was told that they do not give out any at all regardless to any situation. However, I can opt to buy a pack of 12 tablets off them for $9.50 whereas the Foodtown or even petrol statioon sell them for $2.79 per pack of 10 tablets. I personally think that is a rip-off!!! I know things are expensive at Hotels but aren't there any boundaries to that?? It's more than double compare to the market price. Their teenee weenee gym room is filled with one machine of each and the 5 station gym equipment is actually not working where you can pull the weights up but it won't return to the initial state. Other than that, we had a great time at the Polynesian Spa and buffet dinner at Heritage Hotel (Chapmans Restaurant).

We would only recommend this hotel to those who book it on a great bargain. Otherwise, it is really not worth the actual price. I'm real sorry to be giving bad comments but they have got to make some improvements to their bathrooms and cleanliness of all rooms (please don't leave any out as it is so unfair for the customers who happen to get that room) or perhaps prepare some panadols in case of emergency for some desperate customers to build long-term relationship and customer loyalty. It is a 4-star Hotel afterall so they should present themself like one!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
United States
Reviewed 15 September 2009

This place looks deceptively like a nicer hotel. But it is one of the most disgusting places I've spent a night. That is saying a lot given the variety of places I've stayed, including types of places. I've stayed in budget motels that were FAR cleaner than the Novotel. This was 1 of 16 nights on a trip in New Zealand and was by far the dirtiest. It is a close second for worst nights sleep due to comfort of bed. We weren't asking for a lot, just a clean room with a supportive bed. We didn't get either of these things.

At first glance, the room looks like its relatively updated, but so deceptive. The sheets are paper thin and stained. The pillow covers had yellow stains on them and were crumpled. One pillow had a blood stain on it. We were so tired and after the difficulty with checking in, instead of calling down and complaining, we just put a towel over the pillows to sleep.

The bed is not very comfortable, but it was not the worst of the room.

The bathroom was the DIRTIEST one I've used. The shower was greasy. YES greasy. I dumped a bunch of shampoo in the basin and used my feet to clean it up. The toilet bowl was stained - hotel staff, have you heard of bleach, or maybe just a good scrubbing. The grout lines were filled with black, yellow, and brown gunk.

Let me share the check in story. The manager checked me in on a prepaid night. He wrote the WRONG room number down, so this poor guy was woken up when we tried to insert both keys into his room door. Went back down and the guy was like, ooops. He failed to give me a receipt, so I had to go back down and get one from him.

When I complained on checkout to the girl at the front desk about how dirty the room was, she just looked at me and said, sorry, thank you for staying with us.

I will never stay at a Novotel again, or any hotel in its chain. The management should be disgraced to be running such a disgustingly dirty hotel with incompetent staff.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zzz2010
Lancashire, UK
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We had this hotel recommended to us by the place we stayed in Aukland and it did not dissapoint, in the UK the novotels are budjet and basic but this was much better. We arrived quite late with no reservations the staff were friendly and helpfull and booked us a nice room with breakfast included and a free spa in one of their private volcanic pools (a must do) . There is free internet for an hour a day, the breakfast is the best I had in the 3 weeks we were travelling, self service but massive choice from fresh fruit and cereals to full cooked and pastrys , and a proper coffee/expresso maker not a vending machine.
The hotel is heated from the natural volcanic springs which flow underneath th e whole area, and they have a no of natural spring pools, unfiltered and totally natural. these include some private ones which are in a locked room for a nice romantic (if a little warm ....they are roasting) experience.
We also managed to leave all or cash in the safe deposit box and did not realise till we reached Australia, the hotel recovered it and bank transferred it to our account free of charge. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and the breakfast alone was worth the very reasonable room rate really sets you up for the day.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dave381
New York, NY
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Pros:
* Great check-in - super quick
* Room was on 5th floor w/ nice view - very modern and very clean
* Location can't be beat! walk right on the lake or down a whole avenue of great restaurants at night. Love the location.
* Great fitness center w/ thermal pools.

Cons:
* Very few if any. Perhaps I would say the breakfast was not worth it, but that would be it.

100% recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 August 2009

This is a no frills hotel...well at least at no extra charge. It does have a small spa, but that's extra. There is no gift shop in the hotel as I could see. Food and drink at the hotel are rather exorbitant, but I gather the food is ample and tasty. We ate in town. Several fine eateries, bars, and coffee spots are quite nearby. For a luncheon, my wife and I had shepherds pie and a beer for NZ$10 each at Hennessey's (3-4 blocks away), for example. But venison or beef steaks could have been had at dinner time for $34 or less at classy spots even closer by.

We stayed with our boys for three nights, so a hangi was included with the price of the rooms. I gather it will not be as good as one at the local re-enactment villages, but still it means a free meal and show (if we care to take advantage of it).

A six block walk takes you to the Rotorua Museum, which is on Queen's Drive just east and a bit south of the hotel. This walk enables you to see a couple of steam holes and also vistas of the lake.

Broadband costs you about $34 for 24 hours and only 100MB. I used up my MB within a couple of hours.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Killarney
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Excellent location, comfortable furnishings, free Internet access on Macs in the lobby is very convenient and pleasant with plenty daylight streaming in through the glass wall.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo