“Tired and in Need of a Makeover”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #46 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Tauranga
“Tired and in Need of a Makeover”
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I have always enjoyed staying at various Rydges Hotels, but this one in Rotorua is in need of a Makeover. Large black human hairs on the toilet seat did not make for a good experience on entering the room. The whole Hotel seems tired and the pillows on the bed are shocking! Old and thin and no excuse for such bad pillows.
Check-in was very slow and the so called Rydges Web Checkin did nothing to speed up the process.
I was invited by Rydges to submit a survey, which I did over a week ago, in theory addressed to the General Manager (Graeme Rutherford) and I outlined as above. To date no contact back from the Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
Dear Kotuku123,

It is with great disappointment I read your review on Trip Advisor in relation to your recent stay with us.

Since you posted your response on Trip Advisor I have taken the time to share your feedback with my department managers and particularly the house keeping department. Human hairs on the toilet seat are certainly unacceptable and for this I apologise. The house keeping manager has ensured me thorough check will take place and standards lifted to ensure this does not happen again.

As part of my job at the hotel I do random room checks to ensure standards are kept high and based on your feedback I will ensure these checks are increased to obtain a wider cross section of rooms and the levels of cleaning.

You will be pleased to know the hotel has just purchased some new pillows and sheets which will make for a better nights sleep.

I will follow up with regards to your survey you filled out as the previous General Manager you mentioned above has not worked here since October last year. All surveys are now coming to me directly and I have not had yours cross my inbox.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and if you are ever travelling through Rotorua again please do not hesitate to contact me directly when looking for accommodation.

Craig Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tauranga
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This hotel is ideal for Te Puia and if you are into Horse Racing you are in for a treat, several rooms overlook Rotorua Race Course. To wake up in the morning and see horses being exercised was great.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
Dear MargeBTauranga,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read you enjoyed yourself and we hope to see you back at the hotel again soon.

Horse racing is on a couple times through out April and May in Rotorua and I hope you get the chance to come across to see the results of all the horse training you saw from your hotel balcony.

Singapore
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Rydges is a nice place to stay in Rotorua !
Was worried after reading some of the reviews.But we found the place to our expectations.The reception was good,the lobby nice.The room was large and had 2 queen size beds.
The bath was large and nice.The Hotel in room dining seemed expensive.
Overall a good value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear SingaporeMahesh,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

It is pleasing to see that even though you read a review which did not show complete satisfaction from a previous guest, you still decided to stay with us and experience our services for yourself.

Furthermore you even wrote a review which highlights that in the service industry some customers can have a disappointing experience, however this does not accurately reflect the majority of customers who stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and comments.

I hope we get the chance to have you stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2011

The hotel is in a great position, easy to find and adjacent to the racecourse. It has to many levels in the ground floor - i.e. short flight of steps from reception to upper ground floor for lifts (elevator) and restaurants, second flight of steps from that level up to first floor hotel rooms (no apparent lift service to this level from reception). No apparent disabled alternative access to lifts.

Our large room was at the back overlooking the racecourse, good view. Lighting was poor as was the general state of the room and bathroom. The whole hotel is in desperate need of a refurb.

Restaurant is fully enclosed in an atrium, it’s cold and noisy. Breakfast was OK. We had dinner across the road at the excellent Urbano Bistro, http://www.workboot.co.nz/profile/Urbano_Bistro/2688.html

The hotel bar not open at appropriate times and apparently no disabled access to the bar.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Woimble,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor.

I certainly appreciate your honesty and I value all feedback I receive.

You are right in saying our rooms are very spacious - we have some of the biggest hotel rooms I have ever seen which is a great asset for the hotel and especially for the long stay traveller. As with all hotel rooms after a while they will be in need of a refurb and the exciting news is this is currently being discussed.

I was a little disappointed to read your comments about no disabled access. Besides reception to the left of the marble stairs we have a ramp which allows access for people in wheelchairs and disabilities to get to the next level of the lobby. From here people can access the elevators which also allow them to not only access the hotel floors but also our bar which is located on level two.

Again I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit.

Craig Simpson

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We stayed in a huge room overlooking racecourse. Where they may not be ultra modern rooms, they are spacious and comfortable. The spa was fantastic. The amenities were plentiful and beautiful products. Just like most New Zealanders, the staff were extremely friendly.
Location wise, the hotel is a short stroll from supermarkets and restaurants are at your door.
Breakfast had more than enough in variety and the food was excellent!
Even though we are a couple, this would be an excellent hotel for families.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Traci_ra,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always a plesure in reading reponses from people who have had a grea time at our hotel.

I hope the rest of your travels were a huge success and we would love to see you both back at the hotel in the future.

Auckland
Reviewed 2 March 2011

Rooms spacious Good location Friendly staff
We had breakfast included & it was excellent
On the negative side
Only 1 pillow ea but had more sent up
No bubble bath for the lovely spa bath in the room
No tissues
The resturant was a bit cold

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
SallyPhipps, Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Dear bakerauckland,

Many thanks for your recent revews posted on Trip Advisor. We certainly appreciate feedback as it serves as a measure of our performance.

It was extremely pleasing to see the positive comments in regards to our team and our rooms.

I can assure you that I have spoken with our Executive Housekeeper in regards to the amenities in the room and we are looking to ensure these things are stocked for the future as they are staple items of the room.

Many thanks again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards

Sally

Sally Phipps
Executive Assistant Manager
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 February 2011

Enjoyed it here so we booked a second night. Large spacious room overlooking the racecourse. We had a private balcony with table and chairs and spa bath in room next to it so you had natural light coming in while you sit in the spa. Room itself was a little dark. Good central location. The hotel is admittedly a little dated, not as clean and modern as Ryges Auckland but we didn't mind as the good points about this hotel made up for it. But definitely room for improvement. Pillow cases very thin and no mattress protectors!! Toddler spilled juice in bed that got soaked up by mattress. Wondered what else has reached mattress from previous guests?! Freezer compartment of fridge was thick with ice so cleaners could do better, also some dust (kitchen area) and cobwebs found (balcony area). Bathroom floor and shower stains and cracks so needs overhaul, but we didn't mind, it's rotorua so not a big city hotel like you'd expect in Auckland. Lift had a weird nauseating smell and ground floor carpet had bubbles and noticed wall damage attempted to be hidden by pot plant. Strangely enough there was an ashtray in our room on a supposedly NON-smoking floor (2nd). Oh and could hear upstairs moving about. Pool was nice with 1 large & 2 small pools that we enjoyed. Breakfast is affordable so make sure you try it at least once. Don't expect an early check in (1pm we came) but were told our room was not ready despite explaining my toddler had vomited and I needed to clean her up, we could get a smoking room, well no thanks so I waited an hour with my child smelling of spew and had to change her clothes in the car. So the staff member could have been a bit more accommodating to needs of a sick child.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank AklTraveler
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear AklTraveler,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor and providing myself and my staff with comments about your stay.

Since reading through your comments I have discussed them with my managers in great detail.

With feedback such as your it allows up to improve and look at areas that have let a guests experience down.

I am sorry to hear you had to wait for your room to be ready, especially when you had a sick child. I know the hotel was very busy over the time you were staying with us and we do try and have guests check in as soon as the rooms are available and by 2pm. I am in the process of speaking with my staff on how they could have handled your situation a little better. I do hope your little one is feeling better.

Again I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.