“Great hotel and fabulous staff”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #45 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great hotel and fabulous staff”
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed at Rydges over the Easter holidays. Despite the busy time of year, check in was quick and staff were only too happy to assist with any queries. Our room was clean and quiet, even though I wasn't sure what to expect given the amount of families that were staying there. The rooms are a very good size. The spa bath off the room was a great bonus!

The only downside was the lack of food allergy friendly foods at the breakfast buffett. As someone who is gluten and lactose intolerant, there was not alot to choose from, which was disapointing.

It would be great if there were labels as to what was in the hot food (eg. are the sausages gluten free? Is there any milk in the eggs?) Had to stay away from most of the food.

Staff were however happy to check with the kitchen during dinner to ensure I could get a meal which I could eat, it was busy in the restuarant so their extra attention to this was much appreciated.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 5 May 2011
Dear gffree,

I thank you for posting on Trip Advisor your wonderful comments about Rydges Rotorua and your stay during the Easter Break. This is certainly a busy time for us and I wish the weather could only have been a little better. Some things such as the weather we can not control however I am pleased to read how the areas we can control such as service and cleanliness ware a lasting impression of your stay.

I certainly appreciate the feedback about the restaurant and buffet food items. We are in the process of reviewing all our Food & Beverage menus as well as their contents which we plan to make clearly visible to all our customer, be it on the buffet or the a la carte menus.

Thank you again for your wonderful comments and I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Rydges Rotorua in the very near future.

Craig Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 April 2011

This was our first trip away with our 6 month old baby and it was so easy! The staff were very accomodating and the rooms extremely spacious with plenty of room for all our luggage and for our baby to roll around. Loved the separate room with the spa bath! There was also facilities for washing bottles and preparing baby food etc.
The food and service was excellent. We enjoyed an amazing dinner and also the buffet breakfast had a huge variety of food. There was plenty of parking. The indoor pool was a real highlight. The hotel is in a great location just minutes from the city centre and mountain bike park.
Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 2 May 2011
Dear sophyworth,

I thank you for posting on Trip Advisor your wonderful comments about Rydges Rotorua.

It gives me great pleasure in reading how you enjoyed your stay from beginning to end as I am sure it was a nervous trip taking your 6 month away for the first time. I am pleased our service and facilities helped make this trip a lot easier for you.

I do hope we have the pleasure in hosting you at Rydges Rotorua in the very near future.

Tauranga
Reviewed 2 April 2011

I have always enjoyed staying at various Rydges Hotels, but this one in Rotorua is in need of a Makeover. Large black human hairs on the toilet seat did not make for a good experience on entering the room. The whole Hotel seems tired and the pillows on the bed are shocking! Old and thin and no excuse for such bad pillows.
Check-in was very slow and the so called Rydges Web Checkin did nothing to speed up the process.
I was invited by Rydges to submit a survey, which I did over a week ago, in theory addressed to the General Manager (Graeme Rutherford) and I outlined as above. To date no contact back from the Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 19 April 2011
Dear Kotuku123,

It is with great disappointment I read your review on Trip Advisor in relation to your recent stay with us.

Since you posted your response on Trip Advisor I have taken the time to share your feedback with my department managers and particularly the house keeping department. Human hairs on the toilet seat are certainly unacceptable and for this I apologise. The house keeping manager has ensured me thorough check will take place and standards lifted to ensure this does not happen again.

As part of my job at the hotel I do random room checks to ensure standards are kept high and based on your feedback I will ensure these checks are increased to obtain a wider cross section of rooms and the levels of cleaning.

You will be pleased to know the hotel has just purchased some new pillows and sheets which will make for a better nights sleep.

I will follow up with regards to your survey you filled out as the previous General Manager you mentioned above has not worked here since October last year. All surveys are now coming to me directly and I have not had yours cross my inbox.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and if you are ever travelling through Rotorua again please do not hesitate to contact me directly when looking for accommodation.

Craig Simpson

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

Tauranga
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This hotel is ideal for Te Puia and if you are into Horse Racing you are in for a treat, several rooms overlook Rotorua Race Course. To wake up in the morning and see horses being exercised was great.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 13 April 2011
Dear MargeBTauranga,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to read you enjoyed yourself and we hope to see you back at the hotel again soon.

Horse racing is on a couple times through out April and May in Rotorua and I hope you get the chance to come across to see the results of all the horse training you saw from your hotel balcony.

Singapore
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Rydges is a nice place to stay in Rotorua !
Was worried after reading some of the reviews.But we found the place to our expectations.The reception was good,the lobby nice.The room was large and had 2 queen size beds.
The bath was large and nice.The Hotel in room dining seemed expensive.
Overall a good value for money.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear SingaporeMahesh,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

It is pleasing to see that even though you read a review which did not show complete satisfaction from a previous guest, you still decided to stay with us and experience our services for yourself.

Furthermore you even wrote a review which highlights that in the service industry some customers can have a disappointing experience, however this does not accurately reflect the majority of customers who stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and comments.

I hope we get the chance to have you stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2011

The hotel is in a great position, easy to find and adjacent to the racecourse. It has to many levels in the ground floor - i.e. short flight of steps from reception to upper ground floor for lifts (elevator) and restaurants, second flight of steps from that level up to first floor hotel rooms (no apparent lift service to this level from reception). No apparent disabled alternative access to lifts.

Our large room was at the back overlooking the racecourse, good view. Lighting was poor as was the general state of the room and bathroom. The whole hotel is in desperate need of a refurb.

Restaurant is fully enclosed in an atrium, it’s cold and noisy. Breakfast was OK. We had dinner across the road at the excellent Urbano Bistro, http://www.workboot.co.nz/profile/Urbano_Bistro/2688.html

The hotel bar not open at appropriate times and apparently no disabled access to the bar.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Woimble,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor.

I certainly appreciate your honesty and I value all feedback I receive.

You are right in saying our rooms are very spacious - we have some of the biggest hotel rooms I have ever seen which is a great asset for the hotel and especially for the long stay traveller. As with all hotel rooms after a while they will be in need of a refurb and the exciting news is this is currently being discussed.

I was a little disappointed to read your comments about no disabled access. Besides reception to the left of the marble stairs we have a ramp which allows access for people in wheelchairs and disabilities to get to the next level of the lobby. From here people can access the elevators which also allow them to not only access the hotel floors but also our bar which is located on level two.

Again I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We stayed in a huge room overlooking racecourse. Where they may not be ultra modern rooms, they are spacious and comfortable. The spa was fantastic. The amenities were plentiful and beautiful products. Just like most New Zealanders, the staff were extremely friendly.
Location wise, the hotel is a short stroll from supermarkets and restaurants are at your door.
Breakfast had more than enough in variety and the food was excellent!
Even though we are a couple, this would be an excellent hotel for families.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Traci_ra,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always a plesure in reading reponses from people who have had a grea time at our hotel.

I hope the rest of your travels were a huge success and we would love to see you both back at the hotel in the future.