“Tired and Run-Down”
Review of Rydges Rotorua

Rydges Rotorua
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Rotorua
Reviewed 6 June 2011

A friend and I stayed at Rydge's Rotorua over Queen's Birthday weekend after getting a voucher from a deal site.

We found the room to be huge however very run down and lacked the little things that most hotels provide. We stayed two nights and on the 2nd day our towels were taken from us early in the morning and our room was not serviced until 3.30pm that day. We rang and asked for towels (the weather was yuck and we wanted to have a swim in the indoor pool) however we were told no towels available - thus couldn't go swimming. No DVDs were available to hire or borrow which most places have nowadays don't they? Also no newspapers were available which was a bit of a disappointment.

We dined at the Atrium Restaurant and if we didn't have a complementary voucher definitely wouldn't dine there. I ordered the Butter Chicken which was over cooked and very expensive for what it was.

The hotel was very noisy especially with kids running around in the floors above us.

Overall the staff were friendly and the beds were good but I wouldn't be rushing back to stay at this hotel anytime soon!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2011

Dear nicola_anne_11,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am disappointed to her your stay was not as good as it could have been.

You will be pleased to know we have just launched a new menu in the hotel and the feedback from out guests has been outstanding.

We have recently purchased some new towels and I have also discussed with housekeeping about the urgency of ensuring room have fresh towel and linen in a timely manner.

Again I am sorry to hear you didn't have a great stay with us and I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future so you can see some of the changes we have recently made and others to follow over the coming months.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

After 3 wonderful days at Rydges Rotorua we left feeling we had experienced an event we would long remember. We were treated so well, staff were wonderful, restaurant was one of the best, our room exceeded our expectations and the service was superb.
I would recommend Rydges Rotorua to everyone intending to stay ay Rotorua either overnight or longer.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Tony255114,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor. It gives me great pleasure in reading your comments about your stay with us. I have passed this review onto my staff and I know they will also gain a great deal of satisfaction from reading it.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

We stayed at Rydges overnight with our 6 year old. We'd booked the standard twin room, but realised on arrival (in very bad weather) that we would like some extra space and doors on a balcony. The person on reception was extremely helpful with our upgrade request, and we ended up on the fourth floor - a smoking floor, but you'd never know. We were right across from the pool, which was fabulous - lovely warm swimming pool, and great hot soaking pool just off it - perfect for those with a small child.
The rooms are huge, though admittedly a little tired. The lighting definitely could be improved a bit, the shower door cold have used a slightly better clean, and everything could use a bit of sprucing up. But it was all perfectly comfortable, and definitely didn't appear at all unhygienic. For the space, the pool, and the good buffet breakfast, the rate we paid was extremely reasonable.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms - closest to the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Dear Westie_Traveller,

I would like to thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. You comments have been passed through my team and as much as you enjoyed your stay and commented accordingly I have also made a point of discussing with the staff the cleaning issues you had.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 28 May 2011

We visited Rotorua in late January and decided to treat ourselves to a stay in a higher end hotel. What a disappointment!

In our first room the bedding had hairs on the pillows and the sheets looked used. Certainly thin looking, and not pressed. The room overall was very tired and dated.

The staff were quick to change us to a second room, however this wasn't much better. The bedding still looked used, the kitchen cupboards were broken, and there were many other minor areas for maintenance. At least the air conditioning worked.

The carpets throughout the hotel, in public hallways and rooms, were stretched and wrinkled to the point of being a health and safety hazard for guests.

The breakfast selection and dinner menu were adequate, however the ambiance of the place was not up to scratch - right down to the cheap dinner ware and glasses.

Overall, we did not have the premium hotel experience we expected.

As other guests have advised, their feedback was met with an offer of an upgrade on a return visit. This just doesn't cut it for international visitors when you have paid a premium to be satisfied first time, and who would want to return? If they were serious to prove that Rydges know how to deliver, they would offer and upgrade at a Rydges of your choice.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank shingleton

Dear Shingleton,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We have noted the areas you mentioned were not up to scratch and as much as i am disappointed to read them you will be pleased to hear we have recently made a few changes.

The restaurant menu has completely changed and is received great feedback from customers during their time of dining. We have also purchased new sheets and pillows for the beds.

Discussions are also planned to take place for the rectifying the ambiance of the restaurant. As you will know from when you stayed it is a big open space and we are looking at making changes to utilise it more effectively.

I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future so you can experience first hand our change.

Reviewed 14 May 2011

This hotel is in a great location, easy to find with extremely pleasant staff to assist. I noticed one of the staff members assiting an elderly person up the disabled access to the lift which was very impressive.
Our room overlooked the racecourse & was increadibly spacious & clean with the spa bath being a definite added bonus.
The linen was crisp & clean on what was one of the most comfortable beds I had slept on during our NZ trip.
We had breakfast both mornings in the hotel & the selection was plentiful. The food was excellent as was the food on the dinner menu & we felt good value for money-we had no room to sample the dessert after dinner - much to our disappointment!
Another surpise was the laundry facilities on the ground floor-it is free to use the washing machines & dryers. $2 to buy laundry detergent at reception-excellent for when you have been on the road travelling for a few days!

Would certainly visit again!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2011

Dear J9UK,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay with us.

It gives me great pleasure in knowing first hand how your stay with us was and this feedback has been passed onto my management team who will share with all their staff.

It is with all feedback that we can gauge how our service, cleanliness and standards are perceived in the customer’s eyes and it certainly looks as though we lived up to your every expectation.

I do hope the rest of your trip in and around New Zealand was as memorable as your stay in Rotorua and I wish you safe travels back to the United Kingdom. Along with this I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel, or any of our Rydges properties around the world, in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2011

12 girlfiends & I booked & paid online to stay at The Rydges in Rotorua for the weekend while we competed in the Rotorua Marathon. To my amazement it was an absolute circus trying to get ourselves sorted in our rooms from the start and the theme of discontent followed us doggedly through our stay!!! These were some of our issues: door keys that continuously wouldnt work and resulted in several girls being locked out at night, not enough robes, glasses, tea cups in the rooms for each of us, bed head knobs falling on our head while sleeping, phone that wouldnt work and had to be replaced, not enough towels, damp wet musty smell in one room, one shower had a thin dribble coming out the faucet, ripped sheet on a bed, Mary the breakfast Maitre de was so incredibly RUDE and VERY unhelpful - tyring to charge us $27 for breakfast when we were supposed to pay $15 - she's in the wrong job, a 45min wait for dinner in an almost empty restaurant yet we could order the same food over the bar that came almost instantly? they did forget one meal though, To really top this off they tried to charge us an extra $35 per room on check out for a roll away bed that wasn't even ready in each room when we arrived & which had already been included in our "cheap" $180 per night room rate. The deluxe spa rooms are not anywhere near 4.5 stars and neither is the threadbare carpet up the stairwell from the atrium.... a couple of positives - helpful staff that were run off their feet & not supported - Jessica & Sam, also the pool was great - we all loved our relaxing swims... overall - clean up your act guys and your rooms and service. We'll be staying elsewhere next year!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank KarenELong

Dear KarenELong,

It is with great disappointment I read your review on Trip Advisor in relation to your recent stay with us.

I have taken the liberty to share your review with all of my staff and discuss in detail the areas you pointed out which was a let down during your stay.

The staff members you have mentioned in your review (both good and bad) have been spoken with. It is evident some need further training and this is being addressed and implemented right across the whole hotel to ensure our standards are not only at a consistent level but also improving at the same time.

Again I understand you felt your stay was not satisfactory and if you are ever coming back to Rotorua next year for the running event then please do contact me directly as we would love to show you that your experience is not a regular occurrence.

Reviewed 9 May 2011

Our stay at the Rydges was going to be a highlight on our trip! We arrived with travel sick child in tow only to be told our room was not ready and to go away and come back at 2pm (it was only 1pm). We gave ourselves a little wrap over the knuckles for such an oversight on our part, but given the standard of accommodation we had been receiving in NZ so far we were a little bit taken back that the reception staff couldn't offer us any suggestions about where to rest until our room was ready.

We booked a King Spa suite with a self contained kitchen and it was lacking basics... like plates, cultery and a bottle opener. I felt the bathroom could have been cleaner and a box of tissues would have been helpful too.

Next time we will give the big hotel chains the big flick and stick to the owner operators who put a little thought into making sure the weary international travel has everything they need.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

Dear Shesalwaysright,

It is with great disappointment I read your review on Trip Advisor in relation to your recent stay with us at Rydges Rotorua.

I am in the process of talking with my management team in relation to the comments you made to ensure these are addressed with the other staff members.

I am surprised there were no plates or cutlery in the king suite rooms and for this I will have them all checked to ensure they have the necessary items.

Again I apologise you were unsatisfied with your stay and should you ever be travelling to Rotorua again we would certainly enjoy having you back at the hotel and for this I would welcome you to please contact me directly before making a booking.