“Disappointing for Rydges”

Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Rotorua
Brisbane, Australia
“Disappointing for Rydges”
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night in October 2010. We had selected a room with a spa for a nice relaxation after a long day of driving. When booking, I received a discount for being part of their loyalty program and also government employee discount, and I still thought the price was a little exey for what we actually got.

Pros: heaps of free parking, reception staff knowledgeable, laundry facility
Cons: Room old and needs an update, washing and drying took 4 hours, the Rotorua smell is imbedded into everything

I must admit, I wasn't prepared for the smell when I arrived in Rotorua, I had been warned by friends and from research, but was told by day two I would be used to it. Our hotel room absolutely smelt of Rotorua sulpher, there was no escaping it. The rooms are in desperate need of refurbishment, comparing this hotel to the other Rydges hotels in New Zealand, I was shocked and disappointed, especially for the price I paid, even with the discounted rate.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. The staff were friendly and they were more than happy to provide us with laundry powder, and advised we could do our laundry after 10pm, as there were no guests staying on the floor near the laundry room.

The spa was in a separate room and didn't look very inviting, we didn't end up using it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cutiebootie45
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Dear cutiebootie45,

Thank you for your comments you posted on trip advisor this week.

I have shared these with my managers and staff at the hotel.

The smell of Rotorua is a little stronger some days than others. I am sorry to read this was the main cause for you not to enjoy your holiday while in Rotorua.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Craig Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This hotel looked ok from the outside, and the foyer was ok too, but inside the rooms are very tired and dated. The sheets on the bed were almost thread bare! Did not supply sufficient towels, called conceirge and it took them almost an hour to deliver - we were all waiting for showers - so not impressed. Parking was free however, first in first served and it was outdoors parking. Definately, would not stay again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Dear FionaH45,

Thank you for your recent comments on trip advisor.

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. You will be pleased to know we have purchased new sheets and extra towels to ensure we have enough items on hand to supply guests with extras when needed.

A lot of people appreciate that our car parking is free and the hotel is easily accessible from the carpark so you don't have to walk around to the front of the hotel.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in Rotorua.

Craig Simpson

Travellers are raving about these Rotorua hotels

New Zealand
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Can't fault the staff that we came across. Everyone was pleasant and helpful. My partner and I stayed for 2 nights in a standard room. This was a good size though had two queen beds in it. Would be better with one king size bed for couples. The decor is looking a bit tired, the bathroom had peeling paint on the ceiling and where the sink leaked the tiles were stained. In saying that the room was nice and clean. We had a special deal so the price was very reasonable - not sure of the 'normal' rates. The internet charges were expensive unfortunately so had to go into town to an enternet cafe to use. I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear XR6girl,

Thank you for your positive comment about your recent stay with us at the hotel.

You will be pleased to know we are looking at reviewing out internet prices in the coming month which will make it more appealing to use this service.

Our deluxe rooms have either two queen beds or one king bed in them. The next time you stay please just ask the reservation department at the time of booking or call the hotel before you arrive to request a king bed room and we will be more than happy to ensure this happens.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I have just returned from a lovely 2 night stay at Rydges Rotorua. I was lucky enough to have a Grabone voucher and I was very impressed with the deal - comfortable room with 2 queen beds and late checkout, buffet breakfast for 2 people and $50 towards a meal in the hotel restaurant.

The breakfast was exceptionally good with a diverse range of hot and cold food, all of which was excellent quality. I can also thoroughly recommend the vegetarian pizza in The Atrium restaurant - possibly one of the best I've ever tasted. Additional positives include the friendly staff and of course the heated rooftop pool, of which we made good use.

I was suprised the hotel had no wi-fi as even backpacker hostels now provide this service. Internet access was available in rooms via hardline connection or in the lobby but both options were expensive and not nearly as convenient.

Some small things I didn't like so much include that the hot water in my room was erractic and the room and general hotel decor (with the exception of the Atrium) was a little dark and dated. Some of the gym equipment was faulty and the pool roof had moss growing on the inside and constantly dripped with condensation.

I would stay at Rydges again if another voucher deal came up but I would expect a bit more 'wow' from a 4.5 star hotel if I was paying full price.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank razorsharp2505
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
Dear razorsharp2505,

Thank you for your feedback you posted on Trip Advisor and I am please to read how you enjoyed your stay.

We do gain a lot of positive feedback on our buffet breakfast selection and I am pleased you felt the same.

You will be pleased to note we are actually looking at making changes to our WiFi and Internet options in the entire hotel to be in line with other offerings people are providing around the region. Along with this is an upgrade of the gym and other areas in the hotel.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We stayed in 2 king spa suites which was spacious but very dirty and outdated!!!... one of the bathrooms had mold everywhere, the spa area had rust on the tap handle and was all brown inside the spa. Both heaters in the room were broken and when maintenance people came in, they said they couldn't fix it so they brought a small heater in the room which was meant to heat up the spa area,separate bedroom and the living area???? The other room had a broken tv in it and maintenance couldn't fix this problem either!!! although we complained to receptionist there was no compensation... will not be going back there and strongly advise you to not waste your money or time here!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Mulipola
Dear Iapesa,

It is with great sadness I read your feedback on Trip Advisor and the comments you made. I would certainly like to know who you spoke with at reception as any issues should be followed up by the staff. For this not to happen is not up to a standard I would expect.

I do know as we move into the winter months our radiator heaters are all been turned on and some of them do need 'bleeding' to ensure they are working to their full capacity. I apologies it does look as though a couple of these have not been completed.

I can ensure you there is no rust in the bathrooms - it is in fact sulphur corrosion which is caused by the sulphur in Rotorua. We are starting a preventive maintenance program to go through all rooms to replace any taps and shower head which have suffered from this.

Again I do apologies for the problems you experienced during your stay and please be assured I will be following up with my staff on the issues you expressed.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The description I based my booking on was" Spa room with balcony that has views of the lake". If you consider a tiny slither of water 2km's away a "view" then thats what you get at this hotel. Yes the rooms were large and tidy with kingsize beds, but they look to have had their last upgrade in the 70's. The whole room was very dated. The seperate"spa room" had all the romance of a public toilet and just FYI there is no need for a balcony, unless you enjoy the distinct scent of rotten eggs. Thermal waters and mud may have healing properties but remember where there are themal spings there are also sulphur spings and they stink! If you want a spa, go to one of the many spa houses in the area, there is one to suit every budget.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
craig_r_simpson, General Manager at Rydges Rotorua, responded to this review, 19 June 2011
Dear AndreaLouise,

Thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to read you didn't have a great stay with us. Please be assured your comments have been passed onto my staff.

We don't advertise we have views of the lake because, as you pointed out, it is a couple of KM's down the road. We do however say that our rooms look over either the town or race course towards the lake.

Unfortunately we can not do anything about the smell, this has been here for many years and is not always as strong as you may have experienced when you stayed. This allows our guests to utilise the balconies a lot - especially in the summer months.

Again I do thank you for your feedback and as I said I have passed this onto my staff for their review.

Tracy, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Stayed here a couple of nights on our OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) trip to NZ. I stayed in a SPACIOUS room on ground level. Free laundry machines! WiFi is overpriced at US$24/day (join their free club and $24 wifi fee is halved). Great breakfast, but time your breakfast visit to avoid large groups. Very good dinner in the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dear thannaroo,

I would like to thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor and I certainly appreciate the photos you took of the food.

It does sound like you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of looking at new internet options which will be implemented in the coming months. This will certainly make a positive change in the hotel in regards to the comments you made.